Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Downview Pub in Worthing to close on Sunday.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Both need to up their game in my view. Not even to either for a year or so but felt like either could be replaced in the near future by housing of some sort. The Bull has location in its favour and it's not too big so residential development would be difficult. But the Mulberry is on a prime large site that would make a lot sense as a residential development of some sort.
I am told that the Mulberry is usually busy serving food of the chain type (Sizzling Steak house) so wil always attract customers.The Cricketers in Broadwater was always a reasonable pub in my younger days not sure about now though.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Absolutely. The Vine is a colossal disappointment. It SHOULD be a great pub, but whoever has had it over the past few years have really messed it up. Another favourite of mine is the Brookstead Alehouse, ok it's a micropub, but good god, the beer and cider is fantastic.

The Vine was a beer drinkers mecca about 20 years back, always a good choice of the best beers around, heads would turn if anyone came in and asked for a lager. Sadly for some reason it has declined and is now owned by Gary Cox, famous local pub owner, I shall say no more.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
I'm sure McCarthy and Stone would love to get their hands on the Mulberry and the neighbouring car park.

An A1 location for retirement flats - shops, library, main bus stops, beach half a mile away and when it gets too much - the graveyard opposite !!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm sure McCarthy and Stone would love to get their hands on the Mulberry and the neighbouring car park.

An A1 location for retirement flats - shops, library, main bus stops, beach half a mile away and when it gets too much - the graveyard opposite !!

They had the chance when Caffyns moved from their site but Sainsburys jumped in first.

Oct 6, 2016
Is there anybody on here who is old enough to remember when it was one of Worthings best and busiest pubs, probably mid to late 60s and very early 70s. Sad to see such pubs be left to go downhill and then closed and become offices or flats.

The Beachcomber, Thieves Kitchen, The Shipwere great pubs

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I am told that the Mulberry is usually busy serving food of the chain type (Sizzling Steak house) so wil always attract customers.The Cricketers in Broadwater was always a reasonable pub in my younger days not sure about now though.

Cricketers is decent, good ales and usual lagers etc. Usually pretty busy and their new garden bit is ace, including pizza oven. Got their beer festival next week. Also still has that proper boozer vibe.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I still think there's a good mix of boozers in Worthing, most mentioned in here already. Egremont Sunday roast is very good. You'll usually see Richard Reynolds having a smoke outside. Becket is Fullers but decent and always pretty busy when I go in. North Star likewise.

Parsonage has a decent bar area and good small plates good. Usually has a few different Harvey's. Then Goose / Libertine / Hare & Hounds in town are all decent. Corner House and Beach House good food / drink pubs.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The carvery that was the George in Goring is pretty much a no-go if you just want a drink. Some evenings you'd be lucky if they have any glasses left by 8pm. It's a hell hole.

I lived about 20 yards from the Downview for 10 years and frankly it was a proper crap pub. For many years it served only shit lager and most times I felt naked going in there without a weapon of some sort.

The Mulberry had upped it's game in the last year or so. The last few times I've been in there they had a few decent ales on at reasonable prices. Tried the new micropub in Goring the Georgi Fin last night and was impressed enough to go back. Even the missus liked it!

Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely. The Vine is a colossal disappointment. It SHOULD be a great pub, but whoever has had it over the past few years have really messed it up. Another favourite of mine is the Brookstead Alehouse, ok it's a micropub, but good god, the beer and cider is fantastic.

The Vine was a great community pub until John Chambers lost interest and put in managers before selling up back in the early 90s. Since then it has been on a long downward slide - despite the refurb - which is a real shame. G&D has always been good but even that seems to be losing some trade to the Parsonage across the road. Will be interesting to see what impact the second micropub has on the area. I'm not a fan of the Green Man as his beer choice is too limited (unlike Brooksteed) but if the new place is any good it will draw people away from the village pubs.

Interesting comment from [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] about the John Selden. It is my nearest pub and I used to be a regular in there. Rod the landlord is a great raconteur (he also had the Old House at Home before the John Selden) and the posh side of the pub is quite nice with decent food at a reasonable price. However, he has always played it safe with the beer and as I moved more into different craft beers, I just couldn't face going in there for a bottle of Becks.

Even the Wandering Goose has gone badly downhill over the last year. Much smaller beer selection and a tendency to have the music so loud you can't have a conversation. There have been a couple of decent additions to the towns drinking. I think the Corner House has promise and a good atmosphere. Also, The Egremont isn't bad. Reasonable selection of beer, good food and an interesting mix of ages. It seems to run from young to old as you go from the front to the back of the pub.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
The Vine was a great community pub until John Chambers lost interest and put in managers before selling up back in the early 90s. Since then it has been on a long downward slide - despite the refurb - which is a real shame. G&D has always been good but even that seems to be losing some trade to the Parsonage across the road. Will be interesting to see what impact the second micropub has on the area. I'm not a fan of the Green Man as his beer choice is too limited (unlike Brooksteed) but if the new place is any good it will draw people away from the village pubs.

Interesting comment from [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] about the John Selden. It is my nearest pub and I used to be a regular in there. Rod the landlord is a great raconteur (he also had the Old House at Home before the John Selden) and the posh side of the pub is quite nice with decent food at a reasonable price. However, he has always played it safe with the beer and as I moved more into different craft beers, I just couldn't face going in there for a bottle of Becks.

Even the Wandering Goose has gone badly downhill over the last year. Much smaller beer selection and a tendency to have the music so loud you can't have a conversation. There have been a couple of decent additions to the towns drinking. I think the Corner House has promise and a good atmosphere. Also, The Egremont isn't bad. Reasonable selection of beer, good food and an interesting mix of ages. It seems to run from young to old as you go from the front to the back of the pub.

The Eg is a cracking pub, and before I moved to tarring, it was my go to pub for a night out. The Goose, and their sister pub, The Libertine, are just awful imo. Crap, over hopped nonsense. The Selden Arms, The Swan and the Hare and Hounds are all also good, although I appreciate a bit "old man" for some people's tastes.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I'm struggling to think of any genuinely decent neighbourhood pubs in Worthing.

I was in the John Selden recently with [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] and it's OK, but let itself down badly on the cider front.

Are there any others?

Cobden is ok, just been done up, a real
Locals place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex
Ive heard someone is trying to open up a sports bar down goring road few doors down from the new micro pub, if its true hope it gets the go ahead

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ive heard someone is trying to open up a sports bar down goring road few doors down from the new micro pub, if its true hope it gets the go ahead

Not been to the new micro there yet - I need to get down there.

It's not Dan, the chap who runs The Valley Bar in Findon is it? I have a vague recollection of him once saying he was looking at opening up something similar elsewhere. A mid-parade-of-shops thing certainly sounds similar.

Back to what I was saying before - I don't disagree that Worthing has some very good pubs now, but it feels a bit sparse once you venture away from the town centre. I'm a big fan of The Corner House - probably my favourite currently.

Yoda

English & European
Not been to the new micro there yet - I need to get down there.

It's not Dan, the chap who runs The Valley Bar in Findon is it? I have a vague recollection of him once saying he was looking at opening up something similar elsewhere. A mid-parade-of-shops thing certainly sounds similar.

Back to what I was saying before - I don't disagree that Worthing has some very good pubs now, but it feels a bit sparse once you venture away from the town centre. I'm a big fan of The Corner House - probably my favourite currently.

Corner House is at the end of my road so quite often end up in there if I go out for a drink. Will also venture out to the Eggy sometimes too.

H&H will be a lunch stop if in town at the weekend. Still quite often go to the Rose & Crown too.

Not been in the Cobden for a few years, don't know if its the same guy still running it but I used to know Steve the landlord.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Corner House is at the end of my road so quite often end up in there if I go out for a drink. Will also venture out to the Eggy sometimes too.

H&H will be a lunch stop if in town at the weekend. Still quite often go to the Rose & Crown too.

Not been in the Cobden for a few years, don't know if its the same guy still running it but I used to know Steve the landlord.

Steve has left the Cobden and it is now run by the people from the Smugglers/Ham pub.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm struggling to think of any genuinely decent neighbourhood pubs in Worthing.

I was in the John Selden recently with [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] and it's OK, but let itself down badly on the cider front.

Are there any others?

The Cricketers the George and Dragon and my local The Selden. I take your point though. Oh the Rose and crown and the Hare and Hounds as well. First 3 are ok

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here