Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Brooks have just put this on facebook.

Hi - with regard to yesterday's non-race, we appreciate (and indeed share) the frustration felt by many people. We are currently trying to find the best way forward for everybody and hope to be able to furnish a bit more information on this later in the week.

The effects of the wind early on Sunday morning were:
1) we could not get toilets onto the seafront
2) the road closure could not be implemented, which meant that the A259 would remain live to traffic in both directions.
3) horizontal assorted debris flying along/across the route and shingle being deposited on Hove prom.
The forecast windspeeds given Saturday p.m. for Sunday morning were for up to 45mph - very similar to last year. The actual wind speed turned out to be much higher, with 97mph being recorded not too far offshore.

Thank you for your support and patience.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
They've run it every year for 32 years though, they'll want to keep the run going and they won't want to have sent out all the race numbers and bought all the medals without completing the race at some point. Personally, I'd like to see it run one evening, but I do think it will be re-scheduled.

You may be right, but the medal costs are still sunk, and if they re-schedule it, without a new entry fee, they will still incur a lot of extra costs for hiring barriers, toilets, marquees, timing equipment, etc etc. Actually looking at my old medals from Brooks, they are a generic cheap medal with a plastic disc stuck in the centre with the details of year, race etc. They could possibly even pick those off and reuse the medals with new plastic discs.
I do wonder what they did with all the bananas though...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hi joggers, back again.
I don't seem able to leave you guys alone, at the moment.

Anyhoo assuming Cliff Young isn't a well known fella, may I suggest you make yourself a cuppa and enjoy his story, as told here:-

https://www.futilitycloset.com/category/podcast/

Cliff's story isn't the whole show, just the first 10 minutes or so.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Email from Brooks organisers to all participants. Seems entirely fair and reasonable to me.

-----------

The Brooks Brighton 10k is one of the longest established races in the UK. As a matter of policy, entry fees are kept low, as we believe that such races should be accessible for all. Consequently any surplus arising will generally only be around 10% to 12%, which is shared with the groups/charities who help by supplying marshals for the event and the balance going to Brighton & Hove City Athletics Club, to support coaches, travel and youth training.

It was incredibly hard for us to make the decision to cancel the race and we did so purely on the grounds of safety. We discussed various options and alternatives to try and ensure the race went ahead (even without toilets and marquees) but when advised that it was unsafe to close the roads, we realised there was no realistic option. Unfortunately, due to the application process for road closures at the local Council, we are unable to re-schedule this year’s event.

The terms and conditions of race entry do include a section covering these circumstances and we are unable to offer refunds. We are obviously very keen to see what we can offer by way of recompense, but as alluded to the first paragraph and noted by a good number of Facebook comments, virtually all the cash taken in entry fees is spent weeks or months before the event, which means that we have a very limited pool with which to carry out any short term remedy and no practical options to compensate entrants.

We would however like to offer everyone who entered this year a discount for next year’s race as a gesture of goodwill and thanks for your support. This discount will take into account any remaining funds from this year plus an additional similar amount. In the hope that this is acceptable, we are already looking at how we can ‘weather proof’ the race for next year and looking forward to seeing you at the start line.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Only 29 runners in the survey though. I thought this was settled two years ago with this settlement:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27335251

Yes, I know - that's why I thought it interesting. My personal feeling is that minimalist shoes are bad news for most runners - I certainly wouldn't risk them - and that the jury was out on forefoot striking (although I have found that gradually shifting from a heel strike style has been beneficial for me, not in terms of speed, but I tend to feel the effects of impact on long runs less than when I was a hard heel striker).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes, I know - that's why I thought it interesting. My personal feeling is that minimalist shoes are bad news for most runners - I certainly wouldn't risk them - and that the jury was out on forefoot striking (although I have found that gradually shifting from a heel strike style has been beneficial for me, not in terms of speed, but I tend to feel the effects of impact on long runs less than when I was a hard heel striker).

Painful to even think of my aching feet striking the floor at the moment (not running related) but when running find I hit with my heel from anything slower than 7:30 mile pace and anything faster puts me fully onto front of foot and toes. So up to 10K is front strike and certainly more fun.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Went out at lunchtime and did what I think was my first "proper" run since September. It was still a 30 minute 5K but I could not feel the knee at all and wasn't compensating or adjusting my style. Was very much trying to take it easy but still ran mile 2 faster than mile 1. Loads of work left to do but I'm now confident of doing it again. :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/783398775

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Went out at lunchtime and did what I think was my first "proper" run since September. It was still a 30 minute 5K but I could not feel the knee at all and wasn't compensating or adjusting my style. Was very much trying to take it easy but still ran mile 2 faster than mile 1. Loads of work left to do but I'm now confident of doing it again. :)

Good news buddy - great stuff

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Argus Headline: 'NSC Stalwart Hits the Comeback Trail'. Well done!

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Painful to even think of my aching feet striking the floor at the moment (not running related) but when running find I hit with my heel from anything slower than 7:30 mile pace and anything faster puts me fully onto front of foot and toes. So up to 10K is front strike and certainly more fun.

How's the flare up going? Is it showing any sign of going yet?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
How's the flare up going? Is it showing any sign of going yet?

Thanks for asking. You'll regret it. I've been driving the wife mad....
Finally saw a rheumatologist a week ago. 3 months into it. The swelling was abating by then and had walked a mile on the seafront a couple of days before, bumping into Simgull and family. The Rheumo injected my backside with a steroid and said I'd feel a bit buzzy for a few days. That night I was wide awake at 2am , got up and waited for the cricket at 4am, then spent the day talking non stop till going reluctantly to bed at 11pm. Then every day pain and swelling reduced and on Sunday I found myself replacing 8 tiles that had blown of our cottage roof. I then walked 2 miles on the flat. 5 miles Monday and 3 miles yesterday. Today it's returned at 30% strength, which is a little early after a jab, maybe overdone it this week but definitely getting there. Probably another month.

Good news is I will be capable of walking around various pubs in Cardiff next weekend.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Yes - the Argus is poised for the headline 'Yet Another NSC Stalwart on the Comeback Trail'! (Fear that we won't see you in action until the new year though?)

Hopefully the next few months will see everyone back to fitness.
There has been quite a few NSC runners sidelined over the last few months, hopefully that is starting to change with the injured now gradually returning.
Myself I have been plodding back over the last month, I seem to have gained half a stone whilst injured and I can really feel it, I had what felt a good run today. So hopefully it's all go from here on.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Thanks for asking. You'll regret it. I've been driving the wife mad....
Finally saw a rheumatologist a week ago. 3 months into it. The swelling was abating by then and had walked a mile on the seafront a couple of days before, bumping into Simgull and family. The Rheumo injected my backside with a steroid and said I'd feel a bit buzzy for a few days. That night I was wide awake at 2am , got up and waited for the cricket at 4am, then spent the day talking non stop till going reluctantly to bed at 11pm. Then every day pain and swelling reduced and on Sunday I found myself replacing 8 tiles that had blown of our cottage roof. I then walked 2 miles on the flat. 5 miles Monday and 3 miles yesterday. Today it's returned at 30% strength, which is a little early after a jab, maybe overdone it this week but definitely getting there. Probably another month.

Good news is I will be capable of walking around various pubs in Cardiff next weekend.

Glad to hear you're on the mend, hopefully the steroid injection will do the job.
When you're fully healed, at some point next year I'm going to try to get to your local parkrun to see if I can avenge your victory from this summer.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Email from Brooks organisers to all participants. Seems entirely fair and reasonable to me.

-----------

The Brooks Brighton 10k is one of the longest established races in the UK. As a matter of policy, entry fees are kept low, as we believe that such races should be accessible for all. Consequently any surplus arising will generally only be around 10% to 12%, which is shared with the groups/charities who help by supplying marshals for the event and the balance going to Brighton & Hove City Athletics Club, to support coaches, travel and youth training.

It was incredibly hard for us to make the decision to cancel the race and we did so purely on the grounds of safety. We discussed various options and alternatives to try and ensure the race went ahead (even without toilets and marquees) but when advised that it was unsafe to close the roads, we realised there was no realistic option. Unfortunately, due to the application process for road closures at the local Council, we are unable to re-schedule this year’s event.

The terms and conditions of race entry do include a section covering these circumstances and we are unable to offer refunds. We are obviously very keen to see what we can offer by way of recompense, but as alluded to the first paragraph and noted by a good number of Facebook comments, virtually all the cash taken in entry fees is spent weeks or months before the event, which means that we have a very limited pool with which to carry out any short term remedy and no practical options to compensate entrants.

We would however like to offer everyone who entered this year a discount for next year’s race as a gesture of goodwill and thanks for your support. This discount will take into account any remaining funds from this year plus an additional similar amount. In the hope that this is acceptable, we are already looking at how we can ‘weather proof’ the race for next year and looking forward to seeing you at the start line.

Well, that's very disappointing. They took my money and all I have to show for it is a race number. :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here