Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jordan Maguire-Drew

Ryman South is sadly dinosaur level for any Albion player, sad that Bognor didnt go up because Conf South is starts to get decent

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Is mathematics competitive then? The U21s had no more games to play. Worthing are playing competitive games. It's called getting experience.

Dont be daft, progression and development is what it says on the tin, to somehow dismiss it from football is part of the problem with the mindset of generally under qualified coaches and unknowing fans .....................

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well done JMD!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dont be daft, progression and development is what it says on the tin, to somehow dismiss it from football is part of the problem with the mindset of generally under qualified coaches and unknowing fans .....................

You really have got a bee in your bonnet, haven't you?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You really have got a bee in your bonnet, haven't you?

Absolutely not, but please feel free to reply with some logical reason why this has become a well thought out loan move, whilst our own current U21's players twiddle their fingers playing against Newcastle and Brentford ?

Why wouldnt the club lend a similar opportunity to our current U21 players too rather than play them when available for the current and future end of season fixtures for our U21's ??

Its a policy driven by favours, no wonder Worthing manager said Win Win .... but I feel he meant solely for him ..........

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Absolutely not, but please feel free to reply with some logical reason why this has become a well thought out loan move, whilst our own current U21's players twiddle their fingers playing against Newcastle and Brentford ?

Why wouldnt the club lend a similar opportunity to our current U21 players too rather than play them when available for the current and future end of season fixtures for our U21's ??

Its a policy driven by favours, no wonder Worthing manager said Win Win .... but I feel he meant solely for him ..........

Perhaps its simply, as you know, because we have an existing roster of u21/dev strikers like James Tilley, Harper, Hambo, Bjordal and Ayunga who played a part in those two u21s matches and they are also need game time so JMD's prospects would have been limited.
So what exactly do you think is going on here ?
The club are I'm guessing from your analysis are loaning JMD out because a) they don't know what they're doing b) or even worse, are doing Worthing "favours" - Blimey.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So we have a talented 18 year old getting a shot of real grown-up football, admittedly not of a hugely high standard, in a high pressure situation - as opposed to the somewhat protective bubble of professional youth football. Excellent, so where's the problem?

What we want from our youth development scheme, in an ideal world, is teenagers who can challenge for a first team place, and once there can nail it. It's all very well having players in the development squad who go on to hang around the fringes of the first team for several years before going out on a series of rent-to-buy loans, but not ideal, is it? If young JMD can use this experience to make his break, what's not to like?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Perhaps its simply, as you know, because we have an existing roster of u21/dev strikers like James Tilley, Harper, Hambo, Bjordal and Ayunga who played a part in those two u21s matches and they are also need game time so JMD's prospects would have been limited.
So what exactly do you think is going on here ?
The club are I'm guessing from your analysis are loaning JMD out because a) they don't know what they're doing b) or even worse, are doing Worthing "favours" - Blimey.

I agree in part and thats always been my view, it seems that he is lagging behind those players you mention which for ANY aspiring young professional must be worrying.

That was initially the bases for my first post/intervention as it is clearly shows a pecking order recalibration for JMD (I suspect the club are comfortable with their decision as they have JMD under a slightly longer deal than some others) but it should not somehow negate the clubs commitment to his own development, every hour should count, sometimes clubs can be too casual with their decisions and every young player can become all too dispensable.

The club can do what they want and ultimately only Bloom and his cohorts can decide whether they are delivering what the £millions expenditure deserves, that isnt really the point, its more about the level of where the loanee goes, if the club genuinely believes and expects JMD to become a Championship/Premiership then I suspect that he either stays and plays within the U21 set up or finds a loan move higher than what Worthing can offer.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I agree in part and thats always been my view, it seems that he is lagging behind those players you mention which for ANY aspiring young professional must be worrying.

I hope he doesn't read North Stand Chat and this thread thats for starters.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
It really isn't worth the time or effort engaging [MENTION=23494]big gull[/MENTION]y in conversation about young players.
Biggest axe to grind I've come across: if it isn't youngsters from somewhere outside sussex stopping kids in sussex having a chance to compete, it's that our genuine homegrown kids are being nurtured in the wrong way.
Suspect he/she was laid off by the academy at some point.

Nothing wrong with an alternative viewpoint of course, but it's the never-ending negativity and superiority that renders debate futile.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

That was initially the bases for my first post/intervention as it is clearly shows a pecking order recalibration for JMD (I suspect the club are comfortable with their decision as they have JMD under a slightly longer deal than some others) but it should not somehow negate the clubs commitment to his own development, every hour should count, sometimes clubs can be too casual with their decisions and every young player can become all too dispensable.

The club can do what they want and ultimately only Bloom and his cohorts can decide whether they are delivering what the £millions expenditure deserves, that isnt really the point, its more about the level of where the loanee goes, if the club genuinely believes and expects JMD to become a Championship/Premiership then I suspect that he either stays and plays within the U21 set up or finds a loan move higher than what Worthing can offer.

If, as [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] has said that we have player in the U21/Dev squad that it means that JMD wouldn't get game time, wouldn't it be prudent that he gets game time and keeps sharpness at a place like Worthing, then pushes on next season? Yours is an incredibly short-sighted view that players that may be highly rated, shouldn't start at a lower level to keep their confidence and fitness going than endless training sessions and lack of matches at a Dev squad level.

Good luck to the kid, I say.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It really isn't worth the time or effort engaging [MENTION=23494]big gull[/MENTION]y in conversation about young players.
Biggest axe to grind I've come across: if it isn't youngsters from somewhere outside sussex stopping kids in sussex having a chance to compete, it's that our genuine homegrown kids are being nurtured in the wrong way.
Suspect he/she was laid off by the academy at some point.

Nothing wrong with an alternative viewpoint of course, but it's the never-ending negativity and superiority that renders debate futile.

You should engage more, its no good kinda sniping and then retreating, stand your ground and tell us why you disagree its only a local football forum after all, I might disagree and offer a view but I am never abusive or offensive so join the team .....

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
If, as [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] has said that we have player in the U21/Dev squad that it means that JMD wouldn't get game time, wouldn't it be prudent that he gets game time and keeps sharpness at a place like Worthing, then pushes on next season? Yours is an incredibly short-sighted view that players that may be highly rated, shouldn't start at a lower level to keep their confidence and fitness going than endless training sessions and lack of matches at a Dev squad level.

Good luck to the kid, I say.

No I agree, thats what I have said, others have offered a view that somehow Worthing is a better option than our own U21's, it clearly isnt, we are on the same side ......

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
No I agree, thats what I have said, others have offered a view that somehow Worthing is a better option than our own U21's, it clearly isnt, we are on the same side ......

But it isn't. Him playing at a lower level but getting games and keeping fitness and confidence up has to be better than not getting any games and merely training with the Dev squad - especially in a league that we have clearly struggled in (Yes I am aware that it's a new league for us and with a better calibre of player). However a season (or two, depending on his progress) playing with adults in a physical league has to be good for his development than playing with players his age - he can then make the step "up" (if the Dev side is a step up) in the next year and stake a claim in the Dev XI.
Kids at that age just want to play - proving he can play and score at that level shows he has the skill, then can move on a step next time. He may make it, he may not but it gives him confidence and that's invaluable.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Does anyone know ; does JMD train with the Dev squad during the week, given Worthing probably only train once or twice tops?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Does anyone know ; does JMD train with the Dev squad during the week, given Worthing probably only train once or twice tops?

In the Argus on Thursday Worthing joint-manager Jon Meeney was quoted as saying: "They [Albion] have allowed him to train with us and he has integrated well within the group. He suits our style."

I have no idea if that is in addition to, or instead of, training with the Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here