Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hodgson defends Vardy

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But it's FIFA's job to cut it from the game, not England's. I don't want us to be the only country in the world that doesn't do it, as we'll suffer.

Why should FIFA do anything about it when the England manager says he has seen absolutely nothing wrong ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why should FIFA do anything about it when the England manager says he has seen absolutely nothing wrong ?
I wasn't talking about the Vardy incident there, we were talking about cheating in general, and it's FIFA's job to cut that out. As you point, Vardy did nothing wrong.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

is that what the ref was doing ...............most of that match
Vardy moved his leg across the defender and was bought down and the rules say PENALTY
ref I am afraid was not up to refereeing that game

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Vardy moved his leg across the defender and was bought down and the rules say PENALTY
What rule says that exactly? If two players are running, and one runs in front of the other, away from the ball, with the sole intention of causing a collision, that's not a foul on that player.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
What rule says that exactly? If two players are running, and one runs in front of the other, away from the ball, with the sole intention of causing a collision, that's not a foul on that player.

bring a player down in the penalty area .........PENALTY
good thing you don't think the same about KLL otherwise where would we be
classic case of the ref making up his own rules
the defender was holding him as well
and what about all the wrestling matches in the area's in the same match ..................how many did he send off then?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

so you are like the ref then make up your own rules, he had plenty of time to give penalties ealier in the match, so Huth wrestling Carrol to the ground and vice versa does not count then, and right in front of him(ref)
its a classic look at me moment
we will have to agree to disagree this time Trigger
but lets hope that useless lump does not ref down at the Amex anytime soon

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I've only watched it a couple of times but I reckon it was a NAILED on penalty. In comparison to those that get given every week etc etc....

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
I'm not expecting Hodgson to necessarily come out and CONDEMN Vardy for his actions. But christ up a tree, don't piss in my ear and tell me its raining. I know what I saw - Vardy cheated to try and get a penalty, got rightly sent off, and then gave the ref a toilet-mouthed GOBFULL on his way off. How is that in any way justifiable ?

If you're asked about it Roy, just mumble something barely audible and shuffle off like normal, you blithering owl-faced buffoon.

LOVELY stuff

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
so you are like the ref then make up your own rules,
If it was as simple as you suggest, players could just sprint back and forth across the penalty area, just in front of the opponents, and wait for an opponent to try and step forward - bang, tripped up, penalty.

The point is, Vardy wasn't trying to get the ball, he was only trying to cause a collision.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
If it was as simple as you suggest, players could just sprint back and forth across the penalty area, just in front of the opponents, and wait for an opponent to try and step forward - bang, tripped up, penalty.

The point is, Vardy wasn't trying to get the ball, he was only trying to cause a collision.

as I said we must agree to disagree and until they change the rules it will always be like this

SAC

May 21, 2014
Plenty of players cheat, dive, simulate, exaggerate etc but fans are only really upset when opposition players do it. More people will say that a dive makes up for the foul earlier in the match that wasn't given or a match 25 years ago when the ref got something wrong.

the trouble is that it is never 100% clear cut. I think Vardy dived but as you can see, there are some who aren't even Leicester fans, who don't think he did along with a majority of Leicester fans.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I have always understood diving as a player who goes down like they have been shot, with little or no contact.

I don’t believe that Vardy dived but he was looking to draw a foul. The ref probably should have not carded him but he was stupid to react the way he did.

The penalty that Wilson won was pretty soft and could be considered diving if Vardy's one was.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The penalty that Wilson won was pretty soft and could be considered diving if Vardy's one was.
They were completely different IMO. Wilson was trying to get to the ball, and I think he'd have been happy if he stayed on his feet and kept the ball. That's not what Vardy wanted, so he didn't run towards the ball, he ran towards the keeper. There was nothing the defender could do to avoid the collision. If that's a penalty, then we're basically saying defenders can't chase forwards, as all they have to do is stop in front of the defender and bam, penalty.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
They were completely different IMO. Wilson was trying to get to the ball, and I think he'd have been happy if he stayed on his feet and kept the ball. That's not what Vardy wanted, so he didn't run towards the ball, he ran towards the keeper. There was nothing the defender could do to avoid the collision. If that's a penalty, then we're basically saying defenders can't chase forwards, as all they have to do is stop in front of the defender and bam, penalty.

Wilson went down like a sack of potatoes with just a tap on the shoulder. But regardless of that Vardy's wasn't a dive in the sense that I understand what a dive is. Was he booked for diving or for some other technical term?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here