Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Kleenex

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I object to Mothering Sunday .. let's call it .... Parenting Sunday then we could call Father's day .... Parenting day.
we would only need one then, think of the saved expense of duplicating cards, There that's just saved 50% of wasted paper and cardboard as well.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Not bothered either way.......but I'll still call them mansize. After all, it's what I need to wipe my face after a chocolate binge of marathons etc, etc

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The BBC uses some really interesting language at times.

"consumers called it out for being sexist"

To use the term "called it out" as opposed to something like "have claimed" shows where the BBC stands, they agree.

It's like when they use the term "defiant" or "hits back" when it's someone that they like, but "attacks" and "lashes out" when it's someone they don't like.

They also (rightly) referred to Obama as "President Obama", but I've seen a lot of BBC stories recently referring to "Mr Trump". I can't imagine they would ever have called Obama "Mr Obama".

I'm sure they don't think that they are biased, but their use of language, though subtle, suggests that they actually are.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

"consumers called it out for being sexist"

To use the term "called it out" as opposed to something like "have claimed" shows where the BBC stands, they agree.

It's like when they use the term "defiant" or "hits back" when it's someone that they like, but "attacks" and "lashes out" when it's someone they don't like.

They also (rightly) referred to Obama as "President Obama", but I've seen a lot of BBC stories recently referring to "Mr Trump". I can't imagine they would ever have called Obama "Mr Obama".

I'm sure they don't think that they are biased, but their use of language, though subtle, suggests that they actually are.

Of course you're right that the language news organisations (and humans in general) use shows their bias but is 'call out' wrong here?

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/call-out_1

[TRANSITIVE] to criticize someone about something they have said or done and challenge them to explain it
Calling her out in front of everyone wasn’t exactly fair.

I am surprised they use Mr Trump though. Just googled it to check and there it is in the latest story https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-c...nald-trump&link_location=live-reporting-story

However, it seems they also say Mr. Obama https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45452954

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Time for the campaign to change Mothercare properly off and running. Far more offensive to men than a tissue!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Me and Mrs Nylon took our kids to a children's wildlife attraction in the Cotswolds over the summer called 'Bird Land.'

Did I complain to the owners that there were dads there as well as mums? No, I didn't.

And that's the difference. Us chaps are enlightened and rise above being marginalised.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It's a good idea but they should now be called teenager w**k size.
Perfect for that, large enough in size to catch it before the mattress and absorbent enough for it not to soak through when it's thrown under the bed.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Oh FFS. Who are these people that complain about such things? Get a ****ing life.

This!!!

PC culture has got seriously out of control that its literally anything and everything that people go out of their way to be 'offended'!.....but the real problem is how pathetically easy people/company's roll over and instantly feel the need to apologise or withdraw something they said or done because they're scared of 'offending' someone!
I fear for the future....it seems freedom of speech is a thing of the past!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No one got offended by Kleenex Man Size at all. Just some clever PR people getting Kleenex on the front page with some rebranding that causes debate on social media and the press.

On another day another company will do something provocative that you will agree with, rant on a forum about and someone else will disagree with.

.. and they are laughing all the way to the bank.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014

Literally top of Google...https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45452954 Both are called President once and Mr or their full name the rest if the time.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I don't really care what they call them.

People outraged because they are sexist, people outraged because PC has gone mad. Surely we have better things to worry about.

I would like them to be made of recycled paper.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No one got offended by Kleenex Man Size at all. Just some clever PR people getting Kleenex on the front page with some rebranding that causes debate on social media and the press.

On another day another company will do something provocative that you will agree with, rant on a forum about and someone else will disagree with.

Correct. I seriously doubt anyone complained.
There are a lot of people on Nsc who can't wait to post about freedom of speech or PC gone mad. Do they feel threatened?

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Incorrect, if you look on twitter and read the full article there were plenty who were offended, like Liz from Bury St Edmunds.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

exactly, I just assumed it was named that way so it could be used for men's self enjoyment clean up. which I thought was funny. Not offensive to me or any other female who could not give a flying duck, what it is called. you are being duped by a marketing ploy to be seen as right on and get some publicity, probably a marketing department run by men. Don't be fooled in to blaming women for this.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
exactly, I just assumed it was named that way so it could be used for men's self enjoyment clean up. which I thought was funny. Not offensive to me or any other female who could not give a flying duck, what it is called. you are being duped by a marketing ploy to be seen as right on and get some publicity, probably a marketing department run by men. Don't be fooled in to blaming women for this.

:) maybe they should call them Man Size Issues?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here