Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Home security

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
The problem is, burglars are not deterred by cameras or alarms, and when push comes to shove, that's what matters. There's no harm installing all of this but as previously mentioned, dogs are a better answer.

How many people leave their dogs at home, on their own, when at work or on holiday? The main reasons for having a security system is for when there is no one home. Burglars are definitely deterred by 24/7 monitored alarms.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How many people leave their dogs at home, on their own, when at work or on holiday? The main reasons for having a security system is for when there is no one home. Burglars are definitely deterred by 24/7 monitored alarms.

This.

Burglars are very much deterred by alarms, and if brazen enough to try it, will be shitting their pants making it a very short intrusion.

D

Deleted member 2719

Ripped off? Less than £1.50 a day for the security of knowing the system is monitored 24/7 by ADT and that if two sensors are tripped the Police will attend within 10 minutes - that is extraordinary value to me.

Do you get a lot of crime in your area then???

D

Deleted member 2719

No, it’s actually very low, but we’re semi rural, no street lights, set back from the road, only four neighbours, next to a wood. It’s just a personal choice.

You need to grab a tenner a month off them each and they can use your panic alarm if needed, or a PAYG, name your price!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
20,000 less Police than we had in 2010. Either blame the run away benefit system or those who cry so much about paying too much tax. I really would prefer to pay more tax from my income for increased Police numbers, specifically. Police just do not bother with bugarlies anymore apparently.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
20,000 less Police than we had in 2010. Either blame the run away benefit system or those who cry so much about paying too much tax. I really would prefer to pay more tax from my income for increased Police numbers, specifically. Police just do not bother with bugarlies anymore apparently.

Long before austerity, police always said it was almost impossible to catch burglars in the act and improbable to catch them later. The sheer scale of 30M homes, a relatively low number of police on a shift at any one moment in time and the swiftness of most burglaries. Most clear ups are years later when a burglar admits to x number of offences.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

I don't want to make this an argument so I'll just tell you my experience.

Living in 'nice' area central to Shoreham, about 7 years ago working in my office upstairs I heard a bang, went down to see what it was (it was side gate being kicked in) and found man in black gloves trying to get in through back door, he legged it, as did an accomplice. Cutting a long story short, I panicked and got alarms and CCTV installed, the alarm quite obvious to any interested observer especially the alarm that merrily flashes away like the Blackpool illuminations at night.

3 months later I was out on my bike and on getting near home I could hear an alarm blaring away, chucked to myself and some false alarm going off, came round the corner to find police everywhere. Again cutting a long story short, 2 guys had smashed through the front door with an axe (remember, it's all on video now), alarm went off immediately, they carried on in to the house, alarm still going, eventually found the car keys and off they went.

Couple of years later, I was woken by the alarm going off in middle of night - We didn't even set it at night but it looks exactly the same to an intruder - Went downstairs to find someone trying to get in front door, alarm had been triggered as the wall had been disturbed to such an extent that the anti tamper device had set it off. They legged it again. Turns out from video they had checked the place out night before in the early hours also.

Anyway, just thought I'd share, no doubt having an alarm helps but it's absolutely not a major deterrent, unfortunately.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/18/former-burglars-barking-dogs-cctv-best-deterrent

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I don't want to make this an argument so I'll just tell you my experience.

Living in 'nice' area central to Shoreham, about 7 years ago working in my office upstairs I heard a bang, went down to see what it was (it was side gate being kicked in) and found man in black gloves trying to get in through back door, he legged it, as did an accomplice. Cutting a long story short, I panicked and got alarms and CCTV installed, the alarm quite obvious to any interested observer especially the alarm that merrily flashes away like the Blackpool illuminations at night.

3 months later I was out on my bike and on getting near home I could hear an alarm blaring away, chucked to myself and some false alarm going off, came round the corner to find police everywhere. Again cutting a long story short, 2 guys had smashed through the front door with an axe (remember, it's all on video now), alarm went off immediately, they carried on in to the house, alarm still going, eventually found the car keys and off they went.

Couple of years later, I was woken by the alarm going off in middle of night - We didn't even set it at night but it looks exactly the same to an intruder - Went downstairs to find someone trying to get in front door, alarm had been triggered as the wall had been disturbed to such an extent that the anti tamper device had set it off. They legged it again. Turns out from video they had checked the place out night before in the early hours also.

Anyway, just thought I'd share, no doubt having an alarm helps but it's absolutely not a major deterrent, unfortunately.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/18/former-burglars-barking-dogs-cctv-best-deterrent

Not an argument at all and I agree with what you’re saying.

We’ve never been burgled in our 10 years at our present address, and I’m pretty sure no one else in the village has either. It’s just a personal choice, partly for insurance purposes but mainly for peace of mind when we’re away and when my wife is at home alone when I’m working away. I agree that burglars will ignore most alarm systems as all they do is make a noise. With ADT if one sensor is activated, the nominated key holders are informed and if two sensors are activated the police are informed. Burglars tend to avoid ADT alarmed properties. Having a 50m shingled drive and security lights also helps. The worst we have had is Nottingham knockers caught on camera who reconnoitre properties for their bosses. £40 a month seems to me, money well spent, but it’s entirely a personal view.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Not an argument at all and I agree with what you’re saying.

We’ve never been burgled in our 10 years at our present address, and I’m pretty sure no one else in the village has either. It’s just a personal choice, partly for insurance purposes but mainly for peace of mind when we’re away and when my wife is at home alone when I’m working away. I agree that burglars will ignore most alarm systems as all they do is make a noise. With ADT if one sensor is activated, the nominated key holders are informed and if two sensors are activated the police are informed. Burglars tend to avoid ADT alarmed properties. Having a 50m shingled drive and security lights also helps. The worst we have had is Nottingham knockers caught on camera who reconnoitre properties for their bosses. £40 a month seems to me, money well spent, but it’s entirely a personal view.

Well, one things for true, it's certainly better to have them then not! Drive, lights cameras it all helps - Long may your burglary free run continue!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here