Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth - Technical Director

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
See above post. Any recruitment process worth its saltwillhavevhecked his ability towork withthose ge needs to work with. He woukdnt be comingin if CH was not happy with it.

CH might give all the right responses about being happy with it now. But no manager worth their salt will be happy with the introduction of an interfering somewhat superfluous person introduced into the heirarchy above him. IMHO it's a wrong move by a club still trying to find their way in the Premier League. Fair enough, took several attempts for the club to gain the confidence to rid themselves of the Foreign Exotic Manager = Must Be Good mantra. Hopefully take fewer failed attempts to ditch the Technical Director BS. In the end all it does is undermine the manager :shrug:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Have you borrowed BG's keyboard?

If that is referring to the standard of the typing, fair enough. If the comment is inspired by anything else, I'm devastated.....

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
CH might give all the right responses about being happy with it now. But no manager worth their salt will be happy with the introduction of an interfering somewhat superfluous person introduced into the heirarchy above him. IMHO it's a wrong move by a club still trying to find their way in the Premier League. Fair enough, took several attempts for the club to gain the confidence to rid themselves of the Foreign Exotic Manager = Must Be Good mantra. Hopefully take fewer failed attempts to ditch the Technical Director BS. In the end all it does is undermine the manager :shrug:

I hear what you are saying, but I would think that CH is held in higher regard than you are implying.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
dan-ashcroft.gif

"I don't want to go back..."

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
For sure. But if it came to the crunch (which it will) would the club back CH or the TD? And how many decent managers would tbe club get through before it decided to ditch the TD (which it will)

Which crunch?

Here's the best explanation of the role of a Technical Director I've found...

"The technical director role is generally different to that of a director of football, a position which usually involves overseeing the signing of players.

The technical director looks after a whole host of things that offer an element of continuity above and beyond the to-ing and fro-ing of individual managers. The role tends to include, and this is by no means a comprehensive list: responsibility for and the overseeing of the academy, the training ground, the infrastructure, medical, physiotherapy, conditioning, fitness, nutrition, hydration, rest, well being, and culture and behavioural standards within the club.

The technical director can also have a remit for coaching programmes and philosophy (coaching the coaches). It is a role typically found within a nation's football association as well as big and also ambitious smaller clubs. It tends to be a role designed to facilitate long-term strategy and continuity independent of a manager's remit with the team."

... which says to me this has nothing to do with any consideration of Chris Hughton's ability, nor any spuriously unnecessary level of hierarchy especially as he won't be reporting to Dan Ashworth. If anything, this is at an equivalent level to Paul Barber, who can now offload some of his roles, as can Paul Winstanley, on to a person whose role this should have been in the first place.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Is it just me that can't get excited about this kind of role? Lets be honest no-one knows this guy or what he does and it could just be another David 'I discovered Raheem Sterling' Burke

Are you confusing David Burke with Mark Anderson? :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which crunch?

Here's the best explanation of the role of a Technical Director I've found...

"The technical director role is generally different to that of a director of football, a position which usually involves overseeing the signing of players.

The technical director looks after a whole host of things that offer an element of continuity above and beyond the to-ing and fro-ing of individual managers. The role tends to include, and this is by no means a comprehensive list: responsibility for and the overseeing of the academy, the training ground, the infrastructure, medical, physiotherapy, conditioning, fitness, nutrition, hydration, rest, well being, and culture and behavioural standards within the club.

The technical director can also have a remit for coaching programmes and philosophy (coaching the coaches). It is a role typically found within a nation's football association as well as big and also ambitious smaller clubs. It tends to be a role designed to facilitate long-term strategy and continuity independent of a manager's remit with the team."

... which says to me this has nothing to do with any consideration of Chris Hughton's ability, nor any spuriously unnecessary level of hierarchy especially as he won't be reporting to Dan Ashworth. If anything, this is at an equivalent level to Paul Barber, who can now offload some of his roles, as can Paul Winstanley, on to a person whose role this should have been in the first place.

And a club the Albion's size is now a large business with 270 employees and £140m of income. Long gone are the days of a club owner, company secretary and football manager running the show. There are so many responsibilties and tasks, that further division of senior duties is inevitable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does he have to spend the rest of this season at Royale Union Saint-Gilloise?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I don’t get why people don’t think this makes sense. We’re investing a lot of money in the academy and buying young players and a major part of this role is managing and knitting all that together - and we now have someone who has demonstrated he does that well - he’s delivered successful England youth teams and a demonstrable path to the senior team, which played a big part in us getting to the semis of the World Cup. The manager he worked alongside seems to rate him highly (Southgate), as does everyone else who works with him. If you invested millions in a youth / academy set up and wanted it to integrate it in to a seamless transition to the first team, would you not want someone managing it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here