Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are Burnley relegation contenders this year?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we finish above Burnley we’ll be staying up imo

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Wolves, Everton, Palace and Bmuff will all be mid table with some ease IMO.

You probably would have said the same about West Brom last season after they took 7 points from their first 3 games. I think other than Everton all of the other 3 could be in a dogfight and will at some point or another be looking over the shoulders after a poor run.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
True, although Newcastle can back it up with 53,000 crowds in the good times. Even during times of smaller gates nationwide, their home support has always dwarfed that of Wolves. (BTW, it's not that Newcastle fans are any more loyal than anyone else, it's just that there's a lot more of them than most other clubs)

Can sort of understand Wolves fans with this though , 3 titles , 4 Fa cups , 2 league cups and a European final. Over half their existence in the top flight and pretty much average north of 25k overall (even averaging 45k between 1947 - 1969).

There are a lot of deluded fans out there who assume they are big. Wolves on the other hand are pretty BIG

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Wolves had 30 yesterday.

When we have 30 tonight against Southampton, and as away flairistas surely we will, we'll be top half for attempts!

(We'll still be bottom, won't we?)

I'll settle for the 19-2 from inside the box.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I know that I am in the minority but I do not think that Wolves will prosper as well as many say, I do not think that they will be relegation rivals but like Burnley last season their early season form may hold them for the difficult times ahead. I think that they are a very workman like side that teams will come to master as the season moves on.

Have you actually watched them play this season? They are not at all 'workmanlike' in their style, which is both attacking and skillful. In my opinion, they are pretty good. It does remain to be seen whether they can sustain it but they are, based upon their performances, much better than you suggest.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Have you actually watched them play this season? They are not at all 'workmanlike' in their style, which is both attacking and skillful. In my opinion, they are pretty good. It does remain to be seen whether they can sustain it but they are, based upon their performances, much better than you suggest.

they look decent at the moment, promoted sides often do.

Suspect they will blow hot and cold during the season like Watford did last year. We have them in about 4 games I think. Bit of wind may of been knocked out their sails by then. They may be decent but they are also rolling with big momentum at the moment.

They'll come unstuck soon

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can sort of understand Wolves fans with this though , 3 titles , 4 Fa cups , 2 league cups and a European final. Over half their existence in the top flight and pretty much average north of 25k overall (even averaging 45k between 1947 - 1969).

There are a lot of deluded fans out there who assume they are big. Wolves on the other hand are pretty BIG

Those trophies from 60 years ago (and longer) don't mark them out as especially different from Burnley or Huddersfield. And yes, they've had big gates in the past. They've also had pitiful levels of support at times, like everyone else. Anyone remember the early 80s pre-Steve Bull? Gates of 3,000 at a crumbling Molineaux were not uncommon. Granted, they were tumbling down the league, but other teams have done that too and Wolves' gates in that era were not especially different from those of Swansea or Bristol City who did exactly the same thing.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You probably would have said the same about West Brom last season after they took 7 points from their first 3 games. I think other than Everton all of the other 3 could be in a dogfight and will at some point or another be looking over the shoulders after a poor run.

True. I thought WBA and Stoke would be PL mid table, but to their awful power game of giants, muscle, obsession with territory, headed set piece threats and PL know-how.

I hate that style of football, so probably was more pleased than most that they both sunk.

IMO Wolves and Everton will be safe this term due to ££££ bought squad quality, that Palace simply due to Zaha, and Bmuff as they've so many goals in them.

Larry

Feb 11, 2011
Burnley?No one knows who will be relegated it's to early in the season, may be after ten or twelve games. We will get a better picture,so untill then don't speculate.
l would be delight'ed if they are but we shall see.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Cardiff (R) and Huddersfield (R) are sorted.

I think Burnley are in trouble, Ipswich in 2004 springs to mind. A season of wonderful good fortune followed by catastrophe. Ipswich stuck with Burley for too long, I don't see any scenario which leads to the dismissal of Dyche and that might be their downfall. I think they're better than enough, though. Newcastle are in trouble this season and I can see us being in a similar position to last season.

Tonight vs Southampton is enormous and a lot of people would think that the loser will be vying for 17th at best.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
We really need to start clicking together as a side over the next 10 games otherwise it'll be us in the bottom 3!
Apart from the Man U game we haven't really got going. I don't know whether it's because we're missing Izquierdo or the defence not playing well but it feels like we're stop/start in the form stakes.

After Man City game we have a run of games where we need to pick up a hatful of points.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We really need to start clicking together as a side over the next 10 games otherwise it'll be us in the bottom 3!
Apart from the Man U game we haven't really got going. I don't know whether it's because we're missing Izquierdo or the defence not playing well but it feels like we're stop/start in the form stakes.

After Man City game we have a run of games where we need to pick up a hatful of points.

Let’s see how we get on tonight and how we fare against Wolves internationals, before sneering at Burnley. (Not you [MENTION=7321]casbom[/MENTION] ).

A win tonight and all is good.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Not true at all. We were excellent at Liverpool, indeed Carragher has just said we were unlucky to lose.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
beep beep beep warning this thread is reversing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Tonight will NOT be a good advert for Prem football on Sky. Not one for the neutrals. I hope to be joyously wrong.

I was sort of wrong. It was eventful. Still inevitably a draw though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here