Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Defeats you couldn't give LESS of a shit about

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It was inept. It ranks as one of the worst all season.

I'm not that lucky with my away trips this season having a record of DWLLWL but as for our few losses then it was a far far better display than Forest (A) and we weren't outplayed comprehensively as we were at Hudds (A) for starters.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Whilst it's disappointing to not be in a position to break the 100 point barrier it's one of those that you simply let go.

We were MASSIVEly sub par the entire game BUT still didn't look outclassed and could easily have drawn 1-1 if the CAST IRON penno had been given so all in all I'm completely MEH about it.

On to Bristol City who will hopefully be safe after today's result and therefore INEPT in their own way and allow us to STEAMROLLER them and ROMP to the title.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Judging from the expression on the faces of CH and TB last night, they were expecting more from the players last night. It was a performance lacking any intensity, any passion and any desire. They let themselves down and they let the fans ( who were superb ) down. Once the goals went in it was as if the players just shrugged their shoulders and collectively agreed that it wasn't worth too much of an effort.
Perhaps I am expecting too much. Perhaps they ' over-partied ' They certainly looked lack-lustre and jaded but I still want us to finish with a flourish. I don't want us to limp over the line. I wanted us to burn off everybody else and get close to 100 points. Was it expecting too much for the players to maintain their level for three more games?
We all know what is going to happen now. A party atmosphere v Brizzle. Title clinched. More riotous celebrations and then the same hangover at Villa. Team changes and another limp performance and plenty of excuses being bandied about again...." they deserve an off day....they've done their bit....cut them some slack...etc etc.
After the 2011 title win at Walsall, the players gave up then and the last four games were awful. We have a very good bunch of players here and most of the time their focus is excellent. When it drops, however, we suddenly look a very ordinary team, such as Forest away and last night. CH will be disappointed that they allowed their level to drop so badly. Norwich were very, very ordinary and were there for the taking. The fans make a lot of effort to support the team and deserve better than to see their team going through the motions.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Judging from the expression on the faces of CH and TB last night, they were expecting more from the players last night. It was a performance lacking any intensity, any passion and any desire. They let themselves down and they let the fans ( who were superb ) down. Once the goals went in it was as if the players just shrugged their shoulders and collectively agreed that it wasn't worth too much of an effort.
Perhaps I am expecting too much. Perhaps they ' over-partied ' They certainly looked lack-lustre and jaded but I still want us to finish with a flourish. I don't want us to limp over the line. I wanted us to burn off everybody else and get close to 100 points. Was it expecting too much for the players to maintain their level for three more games?
We all know what is going to happen now. A party atmosphere v Brizzle. Title clinched. More riotous celebrations and then the same hangover at Villa. Team changes and another limp performance and plenty of excuses being bandied about again...." they deserve an off day....they've done their bit....cut them some slack...etc etc.
After the 2011 title win at Walsall, the players gave up then and the last four games were awful. We have a very good bunch of players here and most of the time their focus is excellent. When it drops, however, we suddenly look a very ordinary team, such as Forest away and last night. CH will be disappointed that they allowed their level to drop so badly. Norwich were very, very ordinary and were there for the taking. The fans make a lot of effort to support the team and deserve better than to see their team going through the motions.

This, I'm afraid.

Merdalfthewizard

once more unto the breach
Dec 25, 2014
265 miles from home games
In all my predictions over the past few months I've always had this down as an away defeat. So yes, whilst I appreciate it was a below par performance, it wasn't unexpected. Nobody likes to see us lose, particularly the players themselves, I do think some of the reactions are a tad 'over the top' IMO.
Lets face it, Norwich were one of the favourites to get automatic this season, alongside Newcastle and Villa so we've already bettered 2 of them, so I can forgive the team this. I certainly won't let it affect the way my weekend goes.
We just go again next time, same as we have all season. It could be worse, Newcastle forums have been having these conversations for weeks and they're still not guaranteed promotion. :albion2::albion2:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not to mention it is hugely disrespectful to Newcastle to simply claim we have won the league.

Oh yes please, can we be a bit MORE disrespectful to Newcastle, who to a man, crowned themselves CHAMPIONS from the moment they were relegated last season.

Easy10 didn't "simply claim we have won the league" he duly promised that we would, and I don't exactly think he's going out on a limb with that one. Newcastle could very well feck it up before we even take to the field against Bristol. We may very well be walking out to a guard of honour as champions on that day.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Drama queen.

It wasn't an "utterly inept" performance. It was one of those where we weren't at our best (primarily due to resting our besties), but ended up losing to two FREAK goals, and had a cast-iron pen ignored by yet ANOTHER comic masquerading as a FL referee. By all means don your sackcloth or burkha for the next week or whatever and walk around wailing and tearing at your eye sockets. But I for one cannot WAIT for Saturday when we wrap this sucker up properly, in front of 28,000 of our own fans.

Exactly this. I'd give you 2 thumbs up if I could.

Call me a bad fan but I had a terrific night with some of my mates round, drinking bubbly and STUFFING ourselves with ANTI PASTO whilst guiltily GIGGLING at poor old STOCKO.

Saturday will be different. We'll be back to our brilliant best and I fully expect us to stick 3 or 4 past City.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
They were pissed. :shrug:

Big job for CH now, motivating the team to perform, knowing that we could turn up in fancy dress with big clown shoes on, and STILL be crowned champions, is a tough one. Nice problem to have really, but I would still like to see a better performance than this one against Bristol. :albion2:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Of course defeats hurt, but you can't say last night is anyway comparable to the feeling when we lost away to Forest, Huddersfield or Leeds. Completely different level of hurt on the fan upset-at-defeat-o-meter.

I actually expected Skalak in to replace Knockeart such has been the emotions and celebrations since Monday, and such is the trust and belief in the squad. You pick your strongest XI for the fixture not on paper. For all those talking about Stephens, equally Knockeart is arguably one of our most important players, but was ineffective last night. Had he been left out (which on last night's showing would probably have been the right thing to do) would the same people be blaming it on his omission, even though he didn't perform?

I think Chris did the right thing and allowed Norwood and Sidwell, both who have stepped in admirably as substitutes in recent weeks deserved a start. I didn't have a problem with the starting XI, where we have probably played worse than last night this season, and come away with 3 points.

They won't need motivating for next week. I was impressed how much they were up for it last night, and how they kept up the effort right until the final whistle. No worries for me they'll be firing next week.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Of course defeats hurt, but you can't say last night is anyway comparable to the feeling when we lost away to Forest, Huddersfield or Leeds. Completely different level of hurt on the fan upset-at-defeat-o-meter.

I actually expected Skalak in to replace Knockeart such has been the emotions and celebrations since Monday, and such is the trust and belief in the squad. You pick your strongest XI for the fixture not on paper. For all those talking about Stephens, equally Knockeart is arguably one of our most important players, but was ineffective last night. Had he been left out (which on last night's showing would probably have been the right thing to do) would the same people be blaming it on his omission, even though he didn't perform?

I think Chris did the right thing and allowed Norwood and Sidwell, both who have stepped in admirably as substitutes in recent weeks deserved a start. I didn't have a problem with the starting XI, where we have probably played worse than last night this season, and come away with 3 points.

They won't need motivating for next week. I was impressed how much they were up for it last night, and how they kept up the effort right until the final whistle. No worries for me they'll be firing next week.

Well I'm glad you saw it that way.
It was a mile away from the performance at Wolves. It was flat, it lacked any sparkle and resembled a training run-out. Key players went through the motions and because of their popularity, they get away with it. Too many fans are letting the players get away with it. Sure, celebrate long and hard but be ready for work, the next time round. Most of our team were not focussed and turned in a below par performance. Norwich were gifted those points.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well I'm glad you saw it that way.
It was a mile away from the performance at Wolves. It was flat, it lacked any sparkle and resembled a training run-out. Key players went through the motions and because of their popularity, they get away with it. Too many fans are letting the players get away with it. Sure, celebrate long and hard but be ready for work, the next time round. Most of our team were not focussed and turned in a below par performance. Norwich were gifted those points.

Maybe, but I can forgive them for being a bit like that in 1 or 2 games out of 46. Anyone, in any job, anywhere is the same - even if it's sub-conscious to a degree. In the very unique circumstances of this week it's completely understandable.

I'll be pissed off if they aren't up for it on Saturday though.

Easy 10 said:
I for one cannot WAIT for Saturday when we wrap this sucker up properly, in front of 28,000 of our own fans.
You may not have to, of course.

How will you feel if the Albion get promoted on Monday, if Newcastle cock up their performance at home? What if Newcastle lose at Cardiff on Friday?

In either case, the Albion will become Champions with NONE of us watching.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Just hope Bristol City win today so they are on their holidays next week. I'll be gutted to finish 2nd after being so much clear at the top

Can honestly say I'm not TOO bothered. I do, however, think that we will win comfortably on Saturday evening, irrespective of the FSW and his boys.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Bit mythed by this couldn't careless attitude.

We had nothing to play for on the last day when Stoke thumped us. Fans were in an uproar over it despite the game meaning nothing. This is different. We have the title to play for. I'm slightly disappointed and i'm not in the couldn't care less brigade

Totally agree - we should have been going for 101 points and also make it a good day for those who travelled. Winning is a habit which takes time to develop.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Totally agree - we should have been going for 101 points and also make it a good day for those who travelled. Winning is a habit which takes time to develop.

Bloodyhell, having faith in your team also takes time to develop too. They've given everything, and some can't stomach an off day. Incredible really. Winning is a habit, what you've not noticed the 51 wins in 89 games only losing 13 over 2 seasons?

I'll happily give them the benefit of the doubt for last night. They deserve that much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here