Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chuba

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Hemed & Murray I'd imagine away from home. New lad has only been here for 5 mins so i think he'll be on the bench tonight.

I would have thought this, but on the other hand if he starts it could really confuse Hudds because he's an unknown quantity from Arsenal. Just looking at him you wouldn't want to give him any space so he would pin them back a bit.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Have you seen this morning's Argus? Andy Naylor evidently seems to think that he will, as the Albion are treading carefully with Sam Baldock's recovery.

I agree that it seems chancy to include Akpom in such an important game though, When did he last actually play?

Don't think Baldock will play. Akpom would be a big risk to start the match, I would bring him on off the bench. We have another big game on sunday, and the extra few days of training and getting to know the team should help.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
He scored against them last season, and Knocky has got 4 in his last two games against them.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I doubt he will start tonight.

Historically new signings like that Chris gives them about 20 minutes game time to ease them into the set up. I have a feeling his first full 90 mins will be against Burton, when we are likely to have a lot more of the ball over the 90 mins.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
He may well be unknown to the opposition, the problem is though, that he is unknown to our players too! What has he had, just one day's training with his new team mates?

So sitting on the bench addresses that point?

Break him in now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agree. Start with Chuba and GM up front with Hemed on the bench. Less pressure on the lad, shows we have faith in him as a first team player and Hemed is waiting in the wings as solid option.
The problem I have with that is that if it's not working (and it's difficult to get it working on the first day against decent opposition) then we have to take him off for Hemed, which could knock Akpom's confidence.
Would not want to see him on the bench first time out in an Albion shirt.
Why? That's how most players start isn't it? We're top of the league, he's not expecting to jump straight in to the first 11. Even King Kayal said he wouldn't get into the team after returning from injury, and he had to wait for his chance.

So sitting on the bench addresses that point?

Break him in now.
Sitting on the bench and watching us play, maybe 20 minutes of game time, then training with the team for several days addresses that point.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'd start him because Huddlesfield like to press and we need pace to run in behind to alleviate that. However, I'd be surprised if Chris does though and I would expect Hemed and Murray to start in a 4-4-2

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
I'd start with Akpom and Hemed, I don't think the Murray and Hemed combo is that effective unless we're playing more direct, which usually occurs towards the end of the game if we need a goal. I'd rather we started with dynamism and ended with more long balls (if needed). Hemed is playing well and it would be a shame to drop him considering Murray hasn't scored since the QPR game.

(This is all assuming Baldock isn't fit to start the game...)

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
The problem I have with that is that if it's not working (and it's difficult to get it working on the first day against decent opposition) then we have to take him off for Hemed, which could knock Akpom's confidence.

I was thinking the other way around. That bringing him on (because he is replacing a forward that is underperforming, no point otherwise) adds extra pressure/expectations on his first run-out and if he doesn't make an significant impact (as required by being subbed on) then his confidence takes a knock.

Why? That's how most players start isn't it? We're top of the league, he's not expecting to jump straight in to the first 11. Even King Kayal said he wouldn't get into the team after returning from injury, and he had to wait for his chance.

He is not returning from injury, he is a fit and hungry PL standard player. If he's in the squad for tonights game then he is fit/good enough to play.

Sitting on the bench and watching us play, maybe 20 minutes of game time, then training with the team for several days addresses that point.

Maybe it does. I would not be disappointed if he is not in the squad or if he is on the bench but with important games coming up the more we assume he needs time to adjust etc, the more we delay playing a formidable and dangerous striker who needs first team matches. He's here for one reason, bring him on.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hemed is playing well and it would be a shame to drop him considering Murray hasn't scored since the QPR game.
That's 2.5 games right? (I'm not including the cup).

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I can see CH starting with a three man midfield. Kayal, Stephens and Norwood with Stephens or Norwood having licence to push forward.

I realise he's not done this much (if at all) this season but it's just a hunch.

So in one of our biggest games of the season so far you are suggesting that Chris Hughton will dispense with the tried and tested and go with an unknown formation! Can't see it myself... :p

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was thinking the other way around. That bringing him on (because he is replacing a forward that is underperforming, no point otherwise) adds extra pressure/expectations
He's a different style of forward to Murray and Hemed, so we'd bring him on for a change of tactics (eg, hit them on the break). If it was the last 20 minutes, he's also be using his pace against a tiring defence.

He is not returning from injury, he is a fit and hungry PL standard player.
Has he ever started a game in the PL? I don't know if he's PL standard yet, but of course we expect him to be in the future.

He's here for one reason, bring him on.
I'm not sure we agree on the reason he's here. Maybe you think he's here to play, I think he's here to compete for a place, and hopefully do well when he gets the chance.

I really don't know how good he is. I doubt he's better (all round game) than Baldock right now.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
He's a different style of forward to Murray and Hemed, so we'd bring him on for a change of tactics (eg, hit them on the break). If it was the last 20 minutes, he's also be using his pace against a tiring defence.

Has he ever started a game in the PL? I don't know if he's PL standard yet, but of course we expect him to be in the future.

I'm not sure we agree on the reason he's here. Maybe you think he's here to play, I think he's here to compete for a place, and hopefully do well when he gets the chance.

I really don't know how good he is. I doubt he's better (all round game) than Baldock right now.

All fair comment. I'll be happy to go with whatever CH feels is best. See your point about the different styles being factor in a game changing substitution. Just eager to see him run out in blue and white. :thumbsup::albion2:

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
That's 2.5 games right? (I'm not including the cup).

Since Murray last scored Hemed has scored 3 times with them both playing a similar amount of football, I'm not bemoaning Murray for being on a goal drought or whatever you're trying to imply, just observing Hemed seems to be in better goal scoring form.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
So in one of our biggest games of the season so far you are suggesting that Chris Hughton will dispense with the tried and tested and go with an unknown formation! Can't see it myself... :p

I'd have to agree with you there.
Our "preferred" formation tends to have either Murray or Hemed with Baldock (normally Murray)So if Balders is not fit I'd like to see Akpom starting with maybe a cameo from Baldock if fit. Or save Baldock for Sundayif he is not ready yet.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can't see Murray not starting. Yet Hemed deserves a start based on his recent form. So, those two. As long as it suits the gameplan Chris wants to implement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here