Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eric Bristow having a mare...

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
In your opinion. Everyone has their own moral. compass & version of the truth & law.

Each to their own. It doesn't affect me, so I'm happy with all sides of the argument, but continually haranguing people for saying something outlandish or wrong (he has apologised - who knows if he meant it) is just as reprehensible in my book

Ok. In your original post, you said you "Couldn't see what the problem is." Having read through this thread, can you now see what the problem is?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Just read it. We are saying the same thing.:ffsparr:

Not really. This was your response to someone who said they 'can't see what the problem is.'

Yeah, it may be what is wrong with society but 'death by tweet' is a part of life now. Social media becomes public lynch mob. He is too old school and too simplistic in his judgements. We all get what he is trying to say, and after a few pints, many of us would nod our heads and say 'I know what you mean mate', but to do it on Twitter is media suicide. Daft thing to say to a public audience, daft but not malicious intent. Poor bloke will have the PC hounds after him. I hope Trump nuts someone to take the dairy off old Eric.

There's a lot of excuses being made there. I don't 'get what he is trying to say.' I wouldn't have nodded my head at someone talking such crap. As for the 'PC hounds,' this isn't your Grandad saying coloured when he means black, this is a man, uninvited, causing misery for survivors of child sexual abuse, whether that was his intention or not.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can go around saying stupid, offensive things with impunity. It doesn't exist so that people of privilege can heap further misery upon the most vulnerable people in society. Bristow has quite rightly been called to account and I just don't see how anyone could think this is a bad thing (note: I'm not saying that you are)

The fact that his manager tried to charge the BBC £5000 (+VAT) for an interview is the icing on this particular cake.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Nope.

I can see what the problem with this thread is

What Bristow has said, has undoubtedly caused suffering to the survivors of child sexual abuse in football (both those who have waived their right to anonymity and those that haven't even reported it yet.) and likely beyond.

Is that not a problem?

Last edited:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Not really. This was your response to someone who said they 'can't see what the problem is.'

There's a lot of excuses being made there. I don't 'get what he is trying to say.' I wouldn't have nodded my head at someone talking such crap. As for the 'PC hounds,' this isn't your Grandad saying coloured when he means black, this is a man, uninvited, causing misery for survivors of child sexual abuse, whether that was his intention or not.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can go around saying stupid, offensive things with impunity. It doesn't exist so that people of privilege can heap further misery upon the most vulnerable people in society. Bristow has quite rightly been called to account and I just don't see how anyone could think this is a bad thing (note: I'm not saying that you are)

The fact that his manager tried to charge the BBC £5000 (+VAT) for an interview is the icing on this particular cake.

There is no cake. Just kids getting abused. If you bothered to re-quote me in full you may gain a better perspective on my point. Put the focus on where it should be, getting kids to speak out, not vilifying a prat. Move on.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
There is no cake. Just kids getting abused. If you bothered to re-quote me in full you may gain a better perspective on my point. Put the focus on where it should be, getting kids to speak out, not vilifying a prat. Move on.

Getting kids to speak out and Bristow talking this rubbish don't exist in isolation. That's my point.

If you want people to talk out about CSA then, people have to feel comfortable that attitudes like Bristow's aren't a majority perspective. For someone to just say it's 'not a problem.' is miles from the truth.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This feels a little bit like the Richard Keys and Andy Gray situation from a few years ago, I really couldn't care less what these people think about the world. If Eric Bristow thinks that these guys should have spoken up earlier, or revisited the guy when they were older, that's his opinion.

The problem isn't really that he thinks that they should have sorted the perpetrators out. I'm sure most of the survivors think that (which makes this all the more pernicious.)

The problem is that he called survivors of child sexual abuse wimps for not doing it on order to make some ridiculously boorish point about the relative merits of football players and darts players. It's absolutely vile.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Getting kids to speak out and Bristow talking this rubbish don't exist in isolation. That's my point.

If you want people to talk out about CSA then, people have to feel comfortable that attitudes like Bristow's aren't a majority perspective. For someone to just say it's 'not a problem.' is miles from the truth.

But they do exist in isolation. A kid getting abused does not give a flying pigs ear what Eric Bristow thinks or says. Put the focus where it needs to be.
Freedom of speech, Eric Bristow and Grandad saying 'coloured people' are another conversation entirely.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
But they do exist in isolation. A kid getting abused does not give a flying pigs ear what Eric Bristow thinks or says. Put the focus where it needs to be.
Freedom of speech, Eric Bristow and Grandad saying 'coloured people' are another conversation entirely.

I am not saying I think a kid being abused is specifically bothered about an 80's darts player's opinion about their plight. Of course I'm not. I do think it important to create a climate where disclosure is welcomed and publicly questioning attitudes like Bristow's goes some way to doing this. It's not either/or, we can encourage disclosure, while questioning attitudes like Bristow's

As an aside, I've only just watched his interview from this morning and to try and claim he did it with the motive of getting more people to speak out is a ****ing disgrace.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I am not saying I think a kid being abused is specifically bothered about an 80's darts player's opinion about their plight. Of course I'm not. I do think it important to create a climate where disclosure is welcomed and publicly questioning attitudes like Bristow's goes some way to doing this. It's not either/or, we can encourage disclosure, while questioning attitudes like Bristow's

As an aside, I've only just watched his interview from this morning and to try and claim he did it with the motive of getting more people to speak out is a ****ing disgrace.

That is probably after a career crisis meeting with his agent, or someone with a brain. Too little too late Eric.
Nuff said.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here