Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holidaying in California

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I was waiting for your dates before pointing you at Google flights, per the link above.

I didn't go through the ITA matrix, but going through Google flights I was able to click through to Qatar Airways and get a definite £532 for your flights, although the return is a day earlier on 01/09/17.

View attachment 78539
View attachment 78540
View attachment 78541

Thanks, appreciate it.

Only thing with that Emirates flight (which nobody in my office can find either) is it was much shorter layovers. I've seen that Qatar flight but 11h layover would involve hotels and bumps it up again (don't fancy the floor at Doha airport)

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
I've seen people get BA direct flights for £400-500. Economy, obviously, but if you don't mind that...

It's the usual thing with flights, I think: check often and pounce when you see something that suits. Maybe set up fare alerts on Kayak etc and consider 1-stop indirects if you're not overly bothered.

Also, this is a lesser known gem for price hunting: https://matrix.itasoftware.com (tip: select some nearby airports. Sometimes it's far cheaper to fly to a smaller local airport than a main hub)

I find Kayak to be cheaper.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I should highlight that yes we are having to go during school holidays which is as always part of the problem.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I should highlight that yes we are having to go during school holidays which is as always part of the problem.

Was looking at doing the same, tied to school holidays due to work.

Flights were looking at around £650 return each (with Air New Zealand) and that was an Under 26 fare via STA. Having looked at the cost of hotels in San Francisco etc. we then decided to look at Bali instead, as it became ridiculously expensive.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We are considering a family holiday in California next summer but I must confess I totally underestimated how expensive it would be. Flights and accommodation are through the roof. Is there a cheap way of doing this that I haven't discovered yet?

I had a fine, but very expensive, time when I went to California in 1999. We really enjoyed Yosemite, where there's some stunning outdoor activities with great walks, etc. We stayed in a tent, which might now be considered a form of 'glamping', which was fairly cheap, if you can bear that sort of thing. A stay there will keep the cost down. Everything else we did hurts the pocket.

Redundant Gigolo

Jan 19, 2016
Agreed. Loved Diana Point and San Diego. LA is a dump!

The Pacific Surf Line - the train from LA to San Diego is stunning. About two amd a half hours for $30 is great value and some amazing places to stay on the way. All along the coast and easy to just end up sleeping on the beach which is what I did a couple of times. Took me four days as kept getting off drinking and swimming.

Amazing memories

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We are considering a family holiday in California next summer but I must confess I totally underestimated how expensive it would be. Flights and accommodation are through the roof. Is there a cheap way of doing this that I haven't discovered yet?

Flightwise, if you're a wee bit flexible on dates, would strongly suggest calling Trailfinders. Or drop into your local branch (there's one in Brighton). Invariably cheaper than booking direct with an airline tho you might have to go via a wacky but fun route to get the best rates.

Accommodation-wise in Kalifornia I always found Best Western hotels to be good value.

Not sure where you live, but have you considered a home swap arrangement? I know a fair number of people who have done that and had a great experience.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA

Dana Point is one of the nicest place in California but also one of the most expensive (as I'm sure you know!) - assume you've tried looking a few miles in surrounding areas to see if you can get something close but a bit cheaper?

Jul 7, 2003
If you are flying to the US and want a hire car, there is a nice anomaly on the BA website. If you book the hire car and flight together the price often reduces so much that the fully insured car is either free or you actually save money on the flight by having the car. All to do with it becoming a package and different flight classes I believe.

If you don't mind a bit of extra flying time, you can get some good deals flying indirect. A colleague often flies to Tulsa and saved several hundred quid by flying via Stockholm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here