Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That site seems to suggest that the temperature will remain below 0oC for a week, which clearly isn't the case... Or am I looking at it wrong?

That's the 850hpa temp - so at a fixed pressure level in the atmosphere. With low pressure, that's closer to the ground than otherwise. It's a way of taking diurnal variations out of measuring the true temperature of an airmass.

On the chart, there's a yellow bar - click on the Temp 2M to get the true surface temperature.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You ignored my post last time :(, so I'll use the same wording:

For the average punter (read: not a weather nerd), it will be bitterly cold. They won't be bothered about what the actual temperature is, it will feel bloody cold over the next few days.

This is from the BBC for tomorrow Cold and breezy at times bringing a marked wind-chill.
The feel-like temperature for SE London tomorrow varies between a high of minus 2 and a low of minus 4.

That is bitterly cold and more appropriate than saying it will be 5 deg C if it doesn't feel anything like it. If you want to stride around in your T-shirt and jeans, go for it.

You my friend are re-writing meteorology, you can call it what you like but those interpreting and then offering a forecast need to try and be consistent and have some appropriate definitions, calling something bitterly cold because you find it so offers absolutely nothing.

For the sake of argument couldnt you just accept that 5C is bitterly cold for you, but not so for average historical records and the population at large.

There is also something called a Beaufort Scale for wind, with it comes some interpretation above the actual mean wind speed of how this might be determined, things like 'Gentle Breeze' for force 3 and force 7 is a 'Near Gale' and so on.

It really is no good you telling me that 'force 5 is bloody gale in my book' when it really isnt .........

Yoda

English & European
(For some reason I can't post the chart at the moment).

Worthing:
View attachment 62379

Edit again as seems I'm having an issue to:
attachment.php

0.2 degrees North and it has figures of 95% & 100% in the next 36 hours :eek:

Yoda

English & European
[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]

What do you make of the Atlantic low sliding down the High to the South West of the UK and into the Channel next week? Potential for snow on the Northern edge? The last few GFS models have had it there now.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The ever reliable Metcheck is predicting a 90% chance of snow tomorrow - with a 75% chance on Friday for Eastbourne.

So I assume its near certain we will see snow of sorts across Sussex ? And at most, just a dusting like last week ?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Anything is possible in this set up, so expect nothing and you might just be surprised! That goes for the next several days as well.

There's no definite signal for sustained snowfall "at this time" - however these tend to crop up very quickly!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]

What do you make of the Atlantic low sliding down the High to the South West of the UK and into the Channel next week? Potential for snow on the Northern edge? The last few GFS models have had it there now.
I
That's definitely a development that has loads of potential. The right path and we could get a decent snowfall. Too far West and it misses us, to far East and we get milder air pulled in, and rain.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Anything is possible in this set up, so expect nothing and you might just be surprised! That goes for the next several days as well.

There's no definite signal for sustained snowfall "at this time" - however these tend to crop up very quickly!

Yep. What he said. Don't expect much though, unless we get little areas of enhanced instability.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm waiting for Uncle Speilberg's opinion before I go out buying candles,Sugar and Flour.

Flex Your Head

You my friend are re-writing meteorology, you can call it what you like but those interpreting and then offering a forecast need to try and be consistent and have some appropriate definitions, calling something bitterly cold because you find it so offers absolutely nothing.

For the sake of argument couldnt you just accept that 5C is bitterly cold for you, but not so for average historical records and the population at large.

There is also something called a Beaufort Scale for wind, with it comes some interpretation above the actual mean wind speed of how this might be determined, things like 'Gentle Breeze' for force 3 and force 7 is a 'Near Gale' and so on.

It really is no good you telling me that 'force 5 is bloody gale in my book' when it really isnt .........

The temperature will peak at 5 degrees c. It will feel bitterly cold.

I assume that the BBC weather folk have decided that in an effort to make themselves understood by the majority of the population, saying that it will be bitterly cold, when that is how it will feel, is more realistic (and likely to lead to fewer complaints) than saying it will be chilly.

Similarly, they will describe conditions as blustery or wild and windy rather than referring to the Beaufort scale.
It's scientifically inaccurate (and doubtless infuriating to weather nerds and amateur meteorologists), but easily understandable for the population at large.

larus

I'm in Derbyshire for work, and there's been some snow showers since about 4:00 today.

ive been reading the forums on netweather, and the models are constantly adjusting between each run and look like extending this cold spell into February. Hark back to the posts of some people writing THE WHOLE WINTER OFF a few weeks back, it makes me realise that no-one can predict the weather, and accurate forecasting beyond a few days is damned nigh impossible in our part of the world, with the various impacts to our weather. But some people never learn eh!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here