Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baseball Season 2014

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. It's incredible how Kershaw imploded in the 7th innings TWICE vs. Cardinals.
2. I said at the start of the season how incredible it was you could get 33-1 on the Giants. They're now 11/14 and will push the Cardinals hard.
3. I fancy the team with the momentum is the Orioles. KC have done remarkably well to get this far.
4. It's a bit sad how the Yankees never really contended in Jeter's final season. With him gone they can really go fvck themselves now.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I love baseball for so many reasons, mainly the drama - like Game Six in 2011 (look it up) but also for some of the ridiculous stats they come up with. Of course since prozone came along, some of the nonsense they come out with to measure football make these look positively interesting.

Matt Adams was the first left handed hitter to hit a Home Run off Kershaw's curve ball in Kershaw's entire professional career.

St Louis hit 7 Home Runs in the National League Divisional Series which is the most ever in any post season series by a team who had the fewest Home Runs in their league in the regular season.

St Louis have recorded more wins against Kershaw (4) in the past twelve months than every other team in Major League Baseball (3) combined

The clubs with the most post season wins since 2000
Cardinals 63
Yankees 62
Red Sox 45
Giants 37
Phillies 27

And you often hear in our football it is "all about budget" (Gus Poyet)
The first three teams eliminated in this years postseason (Dodgers, Angels, Tigers) had a combined annual payroll of $552m
The teams that beat them (Cardinals, Royals, Orioles) combined payroll is "only" $310m

But the one fact that bothers me more than any is that the Kansas City Royals have not made it to postseason play for 29 years.
The last time they got there was in 1985 - the year that I first started following The St Louis Cardinals
And after the Cardinals leading the series two games to none and three games to one, the bloody Royals won the last three games, including game seven by 11-0 the Royals won the World Series
but last time kc WS

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
4. It's a bit sad how the Yankees never really contended in Jeter's final season. With him gone they can really go fvck themselves now.

Always a pleasure to see the Yankees implode for yet another season despite their $200M team. I really do despise them but have to admit that Derek Jeter was a class act. They have never been the same since old man Steinbrenner died and his sons took over.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
I love baseball for so many reasons, mainly the drama - like Game Six in 2011 (look it up) but also for some of the ridiculous stats they come up with. Of course since prozone came along, some of the nonsense they come out with to measure football make these look positively interesting.

Matt Adams was the first left handed hitter to hit a Home Run off Kershaw's curve ball in Kershaw's entire professional career.

St Louis hit 7 Home Runs in the National League Divisional Series which is the most ever in any post season series by a team who had the fewest Home Runs in their league in the regular season.

St Louis have recorded more wins against Kershaw (4) in the past twelve months than every other team in Major League Baseball (3) combined

The clubs with the most post season wins since 2000
Cardinals 63
Yankees 62
Red Sox 45
Giants 37
Phillies 27

And you often hear in our football it is "all about budget" (Gus Poyet)
The first three teams eliminated in this years postseason (Dodgers, Angels, Tigers) had a combined annual payroll of $552m
The teams that beat them (Cardinals, Royals, Orioles) combined payroll is "only" $310m

But the one fact that bothers me more than any is that the Kansas City Royals have not made it to postseason play for 29 years.
The last time they got there was in 1985 - the year that I first started following The St Louis Cardinals
And after the Cardinals leading the series two games to none and three games to one, the bloody Royals won the last three games, including game seven by 11-0 the Royals won the World Series
but last time kc WS

We'll have to have a bit of banter over this one Barry! Maybe my Giants will save you another WS heartbreak by the Royals?:) Seriously, I didn't really think we'd get this far given the injuries we've had. Now I'm a bit concerned that the pundits are giving the edge to the Giants - I much prefer them counting us out like they usually do. I actually feel that the Cards have the edge, including home - field of course. Our lack of a lead-off threat is pretty hampering, and once you get by MadBum in our rotation questions must be asked, even though Peavy, Hudson and Vogelsong were all good in NLDS against Nats.

I would imagine it will go 6 or 7 games given the teams' playoff experience. The fact that we have Bochy, who is probably the best manager in the game at the moment gives me a shred of optimism. Looking forward to Saturday, although hopefully there won't be martial law; those SL area cops are very trigger happy it seems.

Have a ticket to Gm3 at China Basin:thumbsup:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I saw a guy in WSU front row at the last home game with a Cardinals shirt on. Was that you?

Tis True. Got a Red Sox fan behind me. We had a bit of banter during the WS last year. I may have mentioned they were a bit of a flash in the pan, whilst true class endures.

May be sporting the Birds on the Bat next week too. And sitting next to a Giants fan.

Let's Go Cardinals

Tis True. Got a Red Sox fan behind me. We had a bit of banter during the WS last year. I may have mentioned they were a bit of a flash in the pan, whilst true class endures.

May be sporting the Birds on the Bat next week too. And sitting next to a Giants fan.

Let's Go Cardinals

Disappointing, but not entirely surprising outcome Barry.

Good luck restraining yourself next to the Giants fan (I'll be watching when you throw him over the balcony).

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
He's staying over after the game too. Could be a long day.

To be fair, the Giants steamrollered us. Not a one man team, but without Yadi and 100% Waino, we never got going.

Let's Go Giants !

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Game 1 Giants on fire 4-0 up top of 4, bases loaded and Shields knocked out of game. Now they walk in a run, oh boy KC!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here