Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Even Poyet thinks we sold Bridcutt too cheap

"Gus Poyet here. I'm the manager of Sunderland and I've just bought this player from Brighton who I think will will do great things for us.

Mind you, I paid over the odds for him."

No manager would say that to his local paper, and certainly not one new in the job, and certainly not Gus Poyet. Good grief!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
He cost nothing and then Gus paid 3+ million for a player who does not want to be here and would not play in the last game he was asked to.... Only one winner here, us.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He cost nothing and then Gus paid 3+ million for a player who does not want to be here and would not play in the last game he was asked to.... Only one winner here, us.

Original cost of nil is irrelevant to all of: today's valuation, the tiny dent in Sunderland AFC's vast PL coffers, and Poyet who wouldn't give a toss other than knowing it's relative peanuts.

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
He's gone now so lets move on whatever the price , disappointed with Bridcutt with his attitude about not playing , the least he could do for the club is give his all in his last few games if asked , think it was his agent that influenced his mind .

It was the club as a whole that made him what he is today not 'so far up my own arse Poyet' .

fully agree ..imo and looking at it coldly got him for nothing only looked a player in the poyet system (hence his desperation to get back to his comfort zone) looked uncomfortable in oscars system before going on strike 2.5-3.5 million for a one dimetional non scoring mid fielder bank the money onwards and upwards uta

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Anything over £2m was a great deal for us considering no other club were interested in him. Looking forward to seeing how this pans out and if he lives up to the Poyet's and the fans high expectations of him. Great challenge for him but his full value is yet to be determined so the jury is out for me on who has the best deal.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
£2.5 million is too cheap. Why on earth did we let him go for that? Ridiculous. Love to hear David Burke's response. In all honestly, it's been a pretty dreadful January transfer window for us. It's Burke job to being in decent new players, keep the good ones we have and sell those that want to go at the top price. He seems to have failed on all counts.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Will undisclosed transfer fees show up in the accounts when they are published?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Im still gueszing the 3.25m quoted yesterday is likely to be right but after being held to ransom by the player and mocked by the manager I hope it's a total failure and they get relegated even if it costs us money in add-ons

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Gus Poyet was the right man at the right time and practised the vision for how the Albion should play in the future. He encapsulated the visionary ideal of TB and the Board. Liam Bridcutt was the archetypal player in GP's game plan and fitted the bill perfectly.
It was no surprise that eventually LB should join his master at Sunderland.
GP's departure and ultimate image was soured in acrimony following his surprise departure.
So GP announces to the nation that he signs LB for what is alleged to be a cut price bargain. Whilst LB was great, he had his limitations and was unproven at a higher level. We will never know the price paid and you can bet your bottom dollar that the hard nosed BHA team would never undersell for even less than a penny that he was worth. There may well have been reasons for the sale which will be revealed in the fullness of time.
Whilst I am pleased to see GP turning Sunderland around and I hope LB does well in the Premier league, I think Gus Poyet has shown his true class by crowing about getting one over the Albion. This is vindictive and cheap, and he is behaving like nothing less than a spoilt, spiteful schoolgirl.
The reasons for his dismissal are sub judice and we might never know why, but as they say there's no smoke without fire, and the Albion board will not have acted as such unless their case was 100% watertight.
So Senor Poyet, I suggest you grow up and shut up, otherwise it will be your downfall.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If only we had a billionaire owner who made his money being shrewder than a Shakespearean mouse-like mammal from Shrewsbury...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Will undisclosed transfer fees show up in the accounts when they are published?

You can work them out, but only as an aggregate of the players bought, and also separately sold, in the club's audited accounts. Need to delve into the director's report, statutory Profit & Loss Account, and the Fixed Assets note, for the info!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
This is such an all to frequent used kop out. He's a fully grown man for god sake. If I was in his shoes and my agent tried to influence me in anyway I'd tell him to do one.

At the end of the day he was a Brighton and Hove Albion employee who was refusing to do his job whilst being on the pay roll. I would have made an example of him by a hefty fine and letting him see out his contract in the development squad. **** the transfer fee, sick and tired of all this player power bullshit
Agree with you...and another of looking at is....he could sulk till the end of his contract,whilst we pay his wages..then leave for nothing at the end of his contract and get a big signing on fee...whatever the true fee...be it £2.5m or £3.5m with addons...I think we took the best way out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here