Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay cake row.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I respect that.

It's not a compulsory part of the faith to be against gay marriage. Some will support (as I do) or tolerate the idea, some will be ok with the gay thing but for reasons of dogma be against gay marriage, some will believe that homosexuality is a sin and some will be just plain homophobic. As you said in another context, it's not black and white.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Was there a shortage of cake shops ('gay', or otherwise!), in that town?

Why should the amount of shops matter ? Or are you suggesting a bit of sexual apartheid in the cake shop world ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sounds like the complainants just want to have their cake and eat it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Both parties got what they wanted - publicity

Everyone is happy so it's win, win really :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...of-bread-rolls-to-homosexuality-2015052098454

A GAY wedding cake has turned some bread rolls gay after being left beside them on a bakery counter.
Seeded bap Tom Booker was one of 18 identical bread rolls left to cool beside a homosexual cake made for a gay wedding.
Booker said: “The cake was asking us what sort of music we were into. I said classic rock, like Fleetwood Mac and Dire Straits, and it laughed then suggested should I check out Scissor Sisters and 80s hi-NRG disco.
“As the chat progressed it asked if I had ever been with a man bap. I said that was wrong but the cake said that’s just what the baker tells you to make you behave around customers.”
Baker Norman Steele said: “I came in to pick up the cake and all the bread rolls were having gay sex with each other.
“The way that works is that two bread rolls squeeze together like buttocks and another one gets in between and make groaning noises.
“I can’t sell them now.”

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
This could be a money making opportunity -

I could go into a catholic run cake shop and asked for a "I support abortions" cake and if they refuse I could win £500; or
go into a Conservative run cake shop and ask for a "Labour rules" cake and get another £500;
then onto Croydon and ask for a "Love BHAFC Hate Palace" cake kerching another £500

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not a compulsory part of the faith to be against gay marriage. Some will support (as I do) or tolerate the idea, some will be ok with the gay thing but for reasons of dogma be against gay marriage, some will believe that homosexuality is a sin and some will be just plain homophobic. As you said in another context, it's not black and white.

Gay marriage is not permitted in Northern Ireland. The slogan wanted was 'Support Gay Marriage' which is a political statement. The ruling against the Ashers was that it was homophobic against the buyer, but they said they didn't know his sexual orientation, and would have refused to bake the cake for a hetereosexual.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
bin_2233675b.jpg

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Now that the complainant has won his case and his fifteen minutes of fame, will he carry on his campaign against bigotry by commissioning a small bakery run by a devout Muslim family to produce a similar cake? And what might the outcome be?

Similarly, what might be the outcome if a Christian run bakery refused to bake a cake celebrating IS, or a Muslim run bakery refused to make a cake celebrating Zionism and the Jewish settlements in the West Bank? This seems like a very flawed judgement to me.

The theory in your post is spot on, the baker should appeal.

It is an offence to discriminate against an individual but that never happened in this case.... The gay fella had bought other stuff before and even since the cake in question
The baker had no idea the orderer was gay. He refused because he didn't agree with message in the same way a Muslim baker wouldn't write something against mohammed or a gay baker would right something against homosexuality.

To discriminate against a customer based on sexuality or race or religion is wrong. To refuse to write something is not.

If a guy in a palace shirt walks into my bakers I can't refuse to serve him and nor would I, but if he asks me to write "cpfc rule and Brighton are shit" I am not going to write that.

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The baker should just RISE above it, its the yeast he can do..

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I believe that any person should be able offer or refuse service to somebody if they so desire and for whatever reason.

Then you are a sad relic of colonial days long gone.

Are you seriously saying that someone should have the right to pick and chose who may enter their shop. No blacks, asians, muslims, buddhists, etc etc.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You really don't live in this century, do you?

Are times better now for these laws, I am not sure they are. Wetherspoons just lost a case when a doorman refused entry to some travellers, glad I am not still involved in the pub trade now.

I just believe that if I dont wish to serve you for whatever reason that should be my perogative, as it is my business to do as I please, right or wrong. Old fashioned it may be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here