Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Cleveland makeover

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
What do you make of it then?
It had become a dump before - ales badly kept, the carpet so sticky it was like a bad anxiety dream, trying to get to the bogs, heating on constant in the summer and a backs to the park anbience. Now it has a bit more promise and the nosh is ok. Ale is properly kept for now.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Even though it's quite close I haven't been there for years. Is John still running it?

It was great when the kids were growing up; the parents would sit in the pub and the kids would run around Blaker's Park. Plus John used to organise an annual coach trip to Goodwood for regulars which was a brilliant day out.

[MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION], whereabouts are you living now? Thinking about it the last time I went there was with you!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Even though it's quite close I haven't been there for years. Is John still running it?

It was great when the kids were growing up; the parents would sit in the pub and the kids would run around Blaker's Park. Plus John used to organise an annual coach trip to Goodwood for regulars which was a brilliant day out.

[MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION], whereabouts are you living now? Thinking about it the last time I went there was with you!

I'm in Lancing these days. :(

I remember being in there with you, but that must have been six years ago - at least.

Jimmy Grimble

Was the PPT's inferior little brother back in the late 90s-00s when both were 'proper' pubs and it seems like it's the PPT's inferior little brother again in the modern world of fancy pubs.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I'm in Lancing these days. :(

I remember being in there with you, but that must have been six years ago - at least.
Five years, yeah. Blimey, Lancing. I lived there from the ages of 8 to 32. I'm out on parole now ...
Was the PPT's inferior little brother back in the late 90s-00s when both were 'proper' pubs and it seems like it's the PPT's inferior little brother again in the modern world of fancy pubs.
Probably a good call. I hated the PPT once it had been ponced up and I've only been there a couple of times. It used to be great for football. I guess it's partly my fault then if the Cleveland has gone the same way for not using it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Moved away from the area now, but it was the closest pub to where I lived for a long time.

And utterly ungo-able to, except to sit outside during the summer.

In what way? I loved it, they kept their ales perfectly. Yes it was old school, but there aren't many old school boozers left in Brighton .

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
What do you make of it then?
It had become a dump before - ales badly kept, the carpet so sticky it was like a bad anxiety dream, trying to get to the bogs, heating on constant in the summer and a backs to the park anbience. Now it has a bit more promise and the nosh is ok. Ale is properly kept for now.

Agree with this. Went there this evening. Beer was good - both Harveys and Dark Star, food was ok, and I quite like the new decor which feels fresh and clean. I definitely prefer it now to how it had become in recent years. As it's my nearest pub (apart from the Stanmer, which I can't bring myself to call Fiveways or whatever it is now), I hope it's successful, and gives the PPT a run for its money (not keen on the PPT as it's a formula chain-pub).

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Agree with you there, soistes. For those who miss the old Cleveland, you can still sit on the long banquetters ainside the front wall. I'm not too keen on the PPT (aka The Ladypub) as it's so expensive. While we're on the subject, the Park View beer is now much better than in the last few months.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I used to go to it around 15/16 years ago,a decent place then .

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I thought for a few seconds that this thread was about the Cleveland Indians MLB baseball team that has won 29 of their last 31 matches.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I used to work at the Park View when I was a student, I thoroughly enjoyed it and was tempted to go into a career in the pub industry at one point.
Odd hours but great fun.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
In what way? I loved it, they kept their ales perfectly. Yes it was old school, but there aren't many old school boozers left in Brighton .

You probably won't like the refit then, it certainly isn't old school anymore. Shame.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Remember the Cleveland well from the 80s / 90s. Used to play arrers there. Was part of the "smally crawly" that took in the PPT, Park View, Crown & Anchor and the Springfield. Happy days.

Particularly loved the C&A under the tenure of Leigh Dilley and his barman "pink gin" Colin.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Agree with this. Went there this evening. Beer was good - both Harveys and Dark Star, food was ok, and I quite like the new decor which feels fresh and clean. I definitely prefer it now to how it had become in recent years. As it's my nearest pub (apart from the Stanmer, which I can't bring myself to call Fiveways or whatever it is now), I hope it's successful, and gives the PPT a run for its money (not keen on the PPT as it's a formula chain-pub).

****. They haven't gentrified The Stamner Park Tavern have they?

The Hollingbury round the Corner is still a 'traditional' boozer, right?

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014

John's son Jamie runs it,been hearing good things about the Crown and Anchor.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here