Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garry Nelson - why does he seem to have been forgotten?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Was going to put this on the cult hero thread, which omits any mention of him, but I thought he deserved better than that. 36 goals was it in one season and a best selling author as well? At least Plymouth Argyle have him in their team of the century.

In no way wishing to decry other deserving players such as Ward, Zamora and Crumplin but perhaps a little thought and a few memories of Gary wouldn't come amiss. My theory is that he tends to get overlooked as he played in a period which was relatively uneventful for the Albion and didn't involve playing in the top flight, FA Cup finals, battling with extinction, corrupt owners and loss of the ground.

My memory. Goal I think against one of the Bristol clubs, right wing near West Stand, ploughed field standard of pitch, piledriver shot straight into the net without goalkeeper moving. Every time I remember it he seems to be a little closer to the halfway line! In this day and age it would have been captured on all manner of digital devices but suspect that it remains only in peoples memories now.

Over to you for your Gary memories.

certainly remember that goal against Bristol City,I was right behind the South Stand goal and your right it was a belter

and of course that goal at Brentford in the cup

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The Nelson goal at Brentford was probably the best individual goal I've seen from an Albion player. Such a shame it's not recorded but maybe the reason it has legendary status.
It was the initial amazing dribble past the floundering Brentford players right in front of the 2,000 Albion travelling support before the unstoppable shot into the top left corner of the net and then the reaction of the Albion fans, as if it was the winning goal in the cup final, fans on the pitch celebrating. Great memories.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yes this. He runs a golfing holidays firm in Essex now.

And his book is one of the best football books I've read.

As for 1987/88, what a season that was. We had just been relegated and things looked bleak. Then Nelse turned up and scored for fun (ably assisted by Kevin Bremner). Who remembers that Arsenal game? The gate was 26,467 and Nelson equalised with superbly taken volley at the south end. Bremner should have put us in front late on, before Arsenal scored their winner.

There were lots of memorable games that season actually, home and away.

Saddest thing for me was how Nelson left, having fallen out with Lloyd over wage inequality in the dressing room. He moved to Charlton, got a massive round of applause from our fans and then scored for them inside one minute (at Upton Park) :(
I was at that game when Nelson scored inside a minute

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Sorry to hog the thread but my best memory was beating him in a race. GN lived in Worthing and there was an annual mass 4 mile run along the seafront in aid of the local children's hospice.
Being a sad ******* I used to treat this as a race. Having finished I noticed Garry crossed the line behind me and immediately gave him stick about his off-season fitness. He then explained that he'd run the first half with his very young kid - thus denying me a good scalp and making feel like the prat I was (and still am).

What Garry modestly didn't mention was that the kid was on his shoulders! :wink:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

As for 1987/88, what a season that was. We had just been relegated and things looked bleak. Then Nelse turned up and scored for fun (ably assisted by Kevin Bremner). Who remembers that Arsenal game? The gate was 26,467 and Nelson equalised with superbly taken volley at the south end. Bremner should have put us in front late on, before Arsenal scored their winner.

my 2 abiding memories of that Arsenal cup game apart from Nelson's goal

Mike Trusson inexplicably heading the ball back to Lukic from 5 yards out with the goal gapping

and Perry Groves spinning on a sixpence and tucking the ball in the corner

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I know the Albion Roar keep trying to tempt him into the studio!

Without success so far.

He was contemplating coming down to do it, then had a nasty accident on his bike a couple of years ago which required a fair whack of surgery and convalescence.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I knew Garry when he was at the peak of his Albion career. Off the pitch he was a top bloke and never drew attention to his public profile in the area. He was a genuinely nice guy and, while he could banter with the best of them, was actually quite unassuming. He went on to write the two books (the second was about his time as manager with cash-strapped Torquay and is as good a read as his first), did some work for Sky and was involved with the PFA.

A very good ambassador for his craft - and of course he could play a bit too! I'm sure many Albion fans have some treasured memories.
Did you teach him for the business qualification that he mentions in his book?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not forgotten, but not a cult hero either, he got lots of goals for lots of clubs and so to me he does not feel like ours alone, not in the way a player like Gary Hart does or Inigo Calderon. Ward was only prolific for us, Zamora was only prolific for us, makes them feel more special to us.
I seem to remember that he scored two goals in a number of games for Albion, but never hit a hat trick, not 100% sure that is correct.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
A stunning goal from the left wing against Notts Cty away from memory.
30+ yards out and top left corner of the goal.
Amongst my favourite players for Albion.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
LOVED Nelson. That promotion season remains my favourite. I was 17 and life was brilliant.

1987/88 - My favourite season too. I remember the Sunderland game being a great spectacle and atmosphere (think they were top at the time) when we won 3-1 or 3-2 (?). End to end stuff and they bought a massive following.

Life DID feel fantastic then - the sun seemed to shine all year, you could drink all day and not get a hangover and matchday was really special. Heck, you could even wear Espradilles, stonewash jeans and a singlet if you wished. And no-one battered an eyelid.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

There were lots of memorable games that season actually, home and away.

Saddest thing for me was how Nelson left, having fallen out with Lloyd over wage inequality in the dressing room. He moved to Charlton, got a massive round of applause from our fans and then scored for them inside one minute (at Upton Park) :(

I love this man and he will be a cult hero to me always, I was sat in the south stand with My Dad and brother as a young lad when that goal against Arsenal went in, will never forget it :)

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
One of my favourite Nelson goals was at home, midweek against Pompey. It was raining so hard, the game could easily have been called off with a water logged pitch. Pompey were leading for most of the game and Martin Kuhl got sent off them. Bremner equalised in the 85th min, and then we just laid siege to their goal. Nelson scored in the 90th to make it 2-1. I remember him collecting the ball and running at goal, and you just knew that he was going to score.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
One of my favourite Nelson goals was at home, midweek against Pompey. It was raining so hard, the game could easily have been called off with a water logged pitch. Pompey were leading for most of the game and Martin Kuhl got sent off them. Bremner equalised in the 85th min, and then we just laid siege to their goal. Nelson scored in the 90th to make it 2-1. I remember him collecting the ball and running at goal, and you just knew that he was going to score.
That's a brilliant memory to drag up. I stood in the west lower and became drenched. I didn't notice how wet I was at the end. I remember the Pompey fans prematurely celebrating victory and then those two late goals lol!

Let's Have A Winner!

Apr 23, 2006
Burgess Hill
I would love to hear him on the Albion Roar, and would also love it if the club could get him out on the pitch for a little half time interview or something. One of my absolute heroes as a young teenager!

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
That's a brilliant memory to drag up. I stood in the west lower and became drenched. I didn't notice how wet I was at the end. I remember the Pompey fans prematurely celebrating victory and then those two late goals lol!

An absolute classic. I can remember the Pompey fans getting very lively during and after the match. What a finish!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Nelson was a bit old school - he actually got involved in community and the juniors before it became fashionable. The influence of people like Gerry Armstrong perhaps. He he was a decent guy both on and off the pitch and my kids have great memories of him when the Junior Seagulls existed as a proper club, rather than as a commercial enterprise.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here