Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Red Kite Sightings

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Saw one today on my way from Storrington to lovely Staines, a little bit south of Capel. Magnificent.

On a slightly different note this part of SW London is INFESTED with bloomin' (noisy) Parakeets - presume they don't taste very nice to Predators?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Have been spreading down the M40 corridor for years, slowly moving south :thumbsup:

This. Every day I see scores of Red Kites, often dozen or more circling above house, landed in garden etc. I’m blind to them now really, get more excited seeing a sparrow these days. Parakeets are another, huge numbers around us for the past decade. Often see flocks of them, they’re way more common than starlings, crows etc. Noisey buggers too!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Red Kites getting more common up here as well.The parakeets seem to be infesting every laked area in the Midlands-particularly Pendigo at the NEC.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My folks moved to the edge of Basingstoke a few months back, there are absolutely loads around there. Have seen one a couple of times on our bit of the Downs (both times near the Chattri).

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Both they and buzzards are far commoner in Sussex than they used to be.
Lots near Arundel but also seeing them in Crowbrough from time to time now.

I cycle from T.Wells to far side of Wadhurst 2-3 times a week, rarely a day goes by when I don’t see a buzzard. Their numbers have certainly increased in the last 10 years, there was even one over our estate having a ding dong with a couple of seagulls a month or so back.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Re introduced to East Northants 15 yrs ago and now load in the East Midlands
Regularly over my house. Beautiful spectacular flyers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I see them every day where I live.

There was about 25/30 circling around as I drove through the Neath valley just after the Cray Reservoir a couple of weeks ago. That’s the most I’ve seen in one place.

Magnificent birds.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There are birds of prey in the south now, in a way that was unthinkable when I was a kid (60s). I am all in favour. We have big fat pidgeons round here (domestics gone awol due to the abundance of back garden tuck on offer) and gulls.....looking forward to some sharp-beaked specimens seeing them off. If they have a pop at a few of the four legged sh1t-spreaders too, I'll be even happier.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I frequently see Red Kites over Copthorne Golf Club.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
There apparently been a sighting of a Red Kite near the Amex on the falmer road. I have seen one at the back of Portslade.

There are a lot more Buzzards around Brighton now. There are a few pairs near East Brighton golf course and some around the Falmer Road. Both groups make the occasion raid into Woodingdean , generally teh seagulls go crazy and surprisingly one of them or a crow will seek to chase the Buzzard off. Had one come down in the garden after it had been mobbed by 4 seagulls...

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Jogged from Shoreham up to Chanctonbury Ring this morning to be greeted by a Red Kite circling the ring at little more than head height. First time I’ve seen one there - magnificent sight.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Jogged from Shoreham up to Chanctonbury Ring this morning to be greeted by a Red Kite circling the ring at little more than head height. First time I’ve seen one there - magnificent sight.

IMG-20190322-WA0002.jpgIMG-20190322-WA0010.jpgIMG-20190322-WA0005.jpgIMG-20190322-WA0006.jpg

These were taken in my mates garden last week, feeding on chicken carcass.
Fantastic sight :)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I frequently see Red Kites over Copthorne Golf Club.

Didn't realize there was a birds of prey centre in Horsham. planning to go there in a couple of weeks. Bit of luck can hold and fly an owl.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Saw one on the Buck Barn to Cowfold Road the other day. Did the usual ‘ almost car in a ditch manoeuvre’

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here