Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Asda Car Park Fine (Brighton Marina)... Any Tips?

I'm normally somewhere in the middle on these parking threads, and I would pay a charge if I felt it was due (e.g. due to overstaying in a 'pay and display'). However I would never even contemplate paying a fine for use of a 'free' supermarket car park - how can they possibly charge £40 when it's free for the first two hours? Bunch of chancers.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
LOL at the people saying you should stay. There's virtually no signage down there telling you what you should do, so there's no chance you'll need to pay this IMHO. Definitely use the Money Saving Expert forum. Pepipoo is more for Council fines. [MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] are the ones to listen to.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
My experience says completely ignore it. Don't even write back, they know they have you if you do. If you ignore they will continue to send you increasingly threatening letters including from a faux solicitor firm. When they realise they won't get a penny out of you, they swallow it and move on. I've not heard from them in years now.

tl:dr, don't pay, it's an invoice for services not provided.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It's a fair cop. More importantly what film did you watch and what mark would you give it ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
With 4 hours free parking in the Multi story or take a chance on Asda . It must have been a tough decision .

There is a section of the multi storey which belongs to Asda, which can be confusing. When going to the Marina, I always go to the east side to avoid being near the Asda parking. It's also nearer the walkway, but do the same when going to the cinema.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I know, should have read the signs etc

i have got a £40 fine for parking at the Asda car park (right by the cinema walk through tunnel) for 3hrs 55mins

took the kids to see a film + pizza hut on the very wet bank holiday monday

any tips how to wriggle out of paying ?

or just suck it up

To be honest £40 isn't much more than the greens would have charged you for street parking anyway. I'd pay the fine and forget it, life's too short.

Equally, bung @Westdene Seagull a couple of bob and let him sort it out for you.

:thumbsup:

Here's an offer then - if you feel uncomfortable not paying I'll write your appeals for you and you donate £20 to REMF ? That way I can prove a point and your consonance is clear.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
My experience says completely ignore it. Don't even write back, they know they have you if you do. If you ignore they will continue to send you increasingly threatening letters including from a faux solicitor firm. When they realise they won't get a penny out of you, they swallow it and move on. I've not heard from them in years now.

tl:dr, don't pay, it's an invoice for services not provided.

This used to be the best course of action but since POFA 2012 they don't have to know who the driver was. The result is companies like Parking Eye issuing over a thousand court papers a month. If it's a company like Smart Parking ( who have never done court ) then you could probably still safely ignore but they have six years to decide whether to take you to court.

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
I was done in an Aldi car park, I went in in the morning and there was no where to park, so went back in the afternoon and did the shopping, took about 15 minutes. However, in the next few days an over officious letter arrived with a morning photo of me going in and an afternoon photo of me leaving and saying I had parked continuously for 4 hours. I took advice from NSC and ignored all correspondence with gradually increasing threats and they finally went away.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Parking at Asda is free for three hours. Parking in the multi storey car park is free for four hours. Automatic number plate recognition cameras operate on entry and exit to check on time spent in the car parks. I had an issue around a month ago with a mechanical problem with my car. The issue was resolved but took nearly four hours, I then received an invoice for going over the agreed time limit. I emailed the parking company to inform them that I would be asking Asda to overturn the ticket as this was an issue beyond my control. Head office informed me to go to the store at the Marina and speak to the customer service manager. Garry who dealt with my issue was very understanding and took away my ticket/invoice and cancelled it. The car park is managed on behalf of Asda and they can and will cancel tickets. If you do have an issue in future and need to keep your car for longer than the allotted time, customer service in Asda can issue an all day pass.

( Not sure going bowling, to the cinema or eating out constitutes a reasonable excuse :whistle: ).

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It's NOT a fine !!!!!!!!!!!!

Google "MSE Asda parking ticket" and read the thread at the top of the parking forum called "NEWBIES - read this first".

You want to wait for the Notice to Keeper ( if it was an ANPR ticket you will already have this ). Then use the template in the said Newbies thread.

You should NEVER pay these unlawful invoices but nor should you ignore them.

My source on how to deal with my fine was the Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert site and the dedicated parking forum. The two popular approaches are the convoluted defence letter cribbed from numerous sources on the web or dimply ignore. Personally I went for the ignore and I never heard from them again. Fortunately, I used to work in debt recovery so knew my way round civil court procedures and CCJ's etc. These companies just usually send pseudo looking legal forms that are designed to scare you. The only letter you should never ignore is a civil claim form usually sent from Northampton County Court bulk centre. The reality is that they issue enough of these notices to scare enough people that they very rarely actually issue a claim. And even then such a claim is easily defended

Dan The Man

Sep 27, 2011
Mile Oak
when it was managed by euro car parks (not sure it if still is) I parked there all day one Sat about 5 years ago.....got a ticket....but did nothing....and never heard from them at all......

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I got a council parking ticket a week ago for parking in a residential parking space in Kent.
It was very badly signposted but I don't really have a leg to stand on.

Don't suppose I have any chance of appealing?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I got a council parking ticket a week ago for parking in a residential parking space in Kent.

Very worth appealing ( I got one from B&H in similar circumstances a few years ago and won ). Many councils issue their tickets incorrectly with either processes not having been followed or TROs not being in place. You should go to Pepipoo and start a new thread posting up copies of the ticket ( back and front ) with any identifying marks taken off. Pepipoo have around a 75% success rate I believe.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

You should have a blue badge then.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
My source on how to deal with my fine was the Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert site and the dedicated parking forum. The two popular approaches are the convoluted defence letter cribbed from numerous sources on the web or dimply ignore. Personally I went for the ignore and I never heard from them again. Fortunately, I used to work in debt recovery so knew my way round civil court procedures and CCJ's etc. These companies just usually send pseudo looking legal forms that are designed to scare you. The only letter you should never ignore is a civil claim form usually sent from Northampton County Court bulk centre. The reality is that they issue enough of these notices to scare enough people that they very rarely actually issue a claim. And even then such a claim is easily defended

This is all good advice. I followed it to the letter and got let off one recently - essentially you ask them to produce evidence of ownership, itemise the loss and dispute their rights to claim against you. Well worth doing.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
captain_hindsight_announcements-r5fbb9d93f1e548fa8a7e61cac7ed99a6_imtzy_8byvr_512.jpg

I think you need to read up on the defintion of the word "Hindsight"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here