⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
If you crash out No Deal, Ireland will be short of various stuff like white flour (grow enough grain but its extensively milled in the UK), hops and malted barley for beer and whiskey, packaged cheese (exported from Ireland in bulk to be packaged in some volume for some insane reasons) and are generally going to have some scrabbling around to change supply chains as our third largest supermarket chain is British (Tesco), and the others of any scale all have UK branches (2x Irish 2x German) and shared supply chains

So yes, I'm not going to go mad but I'll have slightly more stuff in the store cupboards than usual. Will be used anyway. Not going to go mad. Even in an apocalyptic situation (planes grounded ports closed) you're not going to starve but some basic tinned foods that you know what to do with and will actually eat wouldn't be a bad idea for any brief interruptions, same for flour and yeast if you would actually bake bread. You have to continually use the stockpile and replace rather than put stuff away and wait. I got snowed in for a week earlier this year, so there's a purpose to having a decent supply no matter what.

Don't have any knowledge of what EU supply chains or production shortages there are for the UK but based on what I know is exported from here alone the potential for disruption is quite high. The chances of it being disrupted is still very low.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Seriously......

While Ali is somewhere in Sussex*
, and you are worried about beans and water....

The thing is when I stockpile anything I usually use twice as much because it's there.

*I've got one eye on my Twitter feed.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If you are to stockpile, it would be sensible to stockpile the luxury foods from abroad which you feel you could not live without. Even a most disastrous Brexit won't see us return to rationing.

Like Gin, Cheese, Wine, Olive Oil....... not forgetting medicines and if and when you can get them they will all be luxury items to perhaps be enjoyed at Christmas or special birthdays.

Still in another 50 years we may get to be benefit from Brexit

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think the question is beyond project fear and into realms of deliberate scaremongering and incitment. the very worst case scenario with mythical "no deal" is that goods are slowed down, lead times are extended, so one can prioritise if there is a problem. they tried claiming medicines would be restricted the other week, overlooking shelf life is measured in months or years and that we export far more pharmaceticals than we import, so there is going to be a massive incentive to make sure problems are over come.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
i think the question is beyond project fear and into realms of deliberate scaremongering and incitment. the very worst case scenario with mythical "no deal" is that goods are slowed down, lead times are extended, so one can prioritise if there is a problem. they tried claiming medicines would be restricted the other week, overlooking shelf life is measured in months or years and that we export far more pharmaceticals than we import, so there is going to be a massive incentive to make sure problems are over come.

Do keep up - The Health and Social Care Select Committee were talking about this just today with The Health Secretary - human tissue and blood products being stockpiled too. Hope we've got the refrigeration capacity to store all that. Sure you know best and it's just #projectfear and a paranoid conspiracy though.

[tweet]1021783791323553792[/tweet]

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't think there will be any food shortages of standard, basic foodstuffs but I would expect us to be paying more for some or all of them as we will have to import from the open market. Currently it's fairly easy to source fruit and veg in the EU if we have a crop failure or there is a run on Lettuce. That will change when we leave and if perishables get held up...

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Like Gin, Cheese, Wine, Olive Oil....... not forgetting medicines and if and when you can get them they will all be luxury items to perhaps be enjoyed at Christmas or special birthdays.

Still in another 50 years we may get to be benefit from Brexit

With the U.K. being the worlds largest exporters of gin, I’d hazard a guess that any stockpiling will be across the channel. :)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If you crash out No Deal, Ireland will be short of various stuff like white flour (grow enough grain but its extensively milled in the UK), hops and malted barley for beer and whiskey, packaged cheese (exported from Ireland in bulk to be packaged in some volume for some insane reasons) and are generally going to have some scrabbling around to change supply chains as our third largest supermarket chain is British (Tesco), and the others of any scale all have UK branches (2x Irish 2x German) and shared supply chains

So yes, I'm not going to go mad but I'll have slightly more stuff in the store cupboards than usual. Will be used anyway. Not going to go mad. Even in an apocalyptic situation (planes grounded ports closed) you're not going to starve but some basic tinned foods that you know what to do with and will actually eat wouldn't be a bad idea for any brief interruptions, same for flour and yeast if you would actually bake bread. You have to continually use the stockpile and replace rather than put stuff away and wait. I got snowed in for a week earlier this year, so there's a purpose to having a decent supply no matter what.

Don't have any knowledge of what EU supply chains or production shortages there are for the UK but based on what I know is exported from here alone the potential for disruption is quite high. The chances of it being disrupted is still very low.
Do you honestly think 'no deal' means we stop trading with Ireland? The whole point of the exercise (well one of them) is that deal or no deal, we have trade agreements with who we like and that will include our friends in Ireland.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Do you honestly think 'no deal' means we stop trading with Ireland? The whole point of the exercise (well one of them) is that deal or no deal, we have trade agreements with who we like and that will include our friends in Ireland.

OK, I've just gone out and bought 4-5 years worth of doughnuts, to keep me stocked up while we negotiate a deal with a single member of the EU.
Do you think I have bought enough?
Will they keep?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Pot noodles will need working water and electricity - so they are out.

Cold baked beans it is then.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Do keep up - The Health and Social Care Select Committee were talking about this just today with The Health Secretary - human tissue and blood products being stockpiled too. Hope we've got the refrigeration capacity to store all that. Sure you know best and it's just #projectfear and a paranoid conspiracy though.

[tweet]1021783791323553792[/tweet]

yes, "options", like planning which they should have done a year ago if they were to be taken seriously - doesnt mean they are needed or going to be enacted. you didnt read what i said though because you want to believe there will be a no deal, chaos ensues, and you can scream about it. stockpiling medicines isnt needed due to long shelf life. i dont know if we obtain bloods from the continent, i would have thought not due to extremly short shelf life.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

the options are sliding scale from poor deal through to "whats different", or roll over to extended negotiations/transition, because in the 11th hour somthing will be hobbled together. the real option of leaving went long time ago because the remainers did naff all to plan, the EU held their line so thats no longer a valid scenario. and in the poorest deal trade would continue, just as it does with all the nations of the world. produce from Spain, Italy and Greece will still need to be sold somewhere and unless the EU is planing to dump it they'll make sure they find a way to UK. otherwise they go into recession (along with us), and for all the stocism of wanting to hold a firm line, they dont really want to hurt themselves substantially in the process. hardline brexiteers i wouldnt be so sure of.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here