Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notifications from BHAFC women’s team on twitter

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In these days when women have won the right to fight in the front line with their male counterparts, I’m surprised so many people are committed to gender apartheid in sport.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ranch-british-military-open-every-role-women/

Maintaining women’s football teams is not expanding our horizons, quite the contrary. If we were really enlightened we would support the abolishment of the women’s league and invite the women into the men’s teams, just like the armed forces.

Women are evidently fit enough to fight in the front line, so they are fit enough to kick a pigs bladder about with male footballers and access the riches available to the men.

Where do you suggest they get changed?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
In these days when women have won the right to fight in the front line with their male counterparts, I’m surprised so many people are committed to gender apartheid in sport.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ranch-british-military-open-every-role-women/

Maintaining women’s football teams is not expanding our horizons, quite the contrary. If we were really enlightened we would support the abolishment of the women’s league and invite the women into the men’s teams, just like the armed forces.

Women are evidently fit enough to fight in the front line, so they are fit enough to kick a pigs bladder about with male footballers and access the riches available to the men.

Excepting the fact that whilst it is the same sport, it is a different game. There’s room for both. If we can’t make room for a women’s team and a men’s team then it’s a pretty sad state of affairs. And if a team is prepared to put on the blue and white stripes then I’d like them to win. It’s relatively easy as an educated human being to filter the different stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Excepting the fact that whilst it is the same sport, it is a different game. There’s room for both. If we can’t make room for a women’s team and a men’s team then it’s a pretty sad state of affairs. And if a team is prepared to put on the blue and white stripes then I’d like them to win. It’s relatively easy as an educated human being to filter the different stories.

You are dead right it’s a different game, maintaining 2 structures denies capable women footballers the riches that are currently only available to the men?

Why on earth do you want to do that?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You are dead right it’s a different game, maintaining 2 structures denies capable women footballers the riches that are currently only available to the men?

Because I enjoy competitive sport at the highest level. I am interested in what highly tuned male and female athletes can do in their respective fields. Is there anything wrong in that?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In the first team dressing room..........

You're going to have to make an explicit point rather than an implicit one pretty soon, because your "subtle" replies make you look like the creepy, perverted uncle everyone avoids at weddings.

If your laboured point is that women shouldn't be on the front line then I suggest you start a thread regarding precisely that, and see how popular it is. We're discussing football here.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Because I enjoy competitive sport at the highest level. I am interested in what highly tuned male and female athletes can do in their respective fields. Is there anything wrong in that?

Well that sounds like you want to maintain the status quo not expand horizons, there’s nothing wrong in being conservative but the world is changing Grandad.

Women serving in this country’s armed forces are fit and able enough to kill our enemies on the front line, all power to them.

In my view that is a minor advance and given the riches and profile sport offers sportswomen in competing with sportsmen. I want to see the best compete regardless of gender, that is how we genuinely expand horizons.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
You're going to have to make an explicit point rather than an implicit one pretty soon, because your "subtle" replies make you look like the creepy, perverted uncle everyone avoids at weddings.

If your laboured point is that women shouldn't be on the front line then I suggest you start a thread regarding precisely that, and see how popular it is. We're discussing football here.

You asked the question and I answered it.

On the contrary, women fighting on the front line is a natural step and I have no axe to grind about it. That you want to raise that point says more about you than me.

I do however think that with this advance then women competing with men in sport is in many ways a much smaller step physically, but a greater step culturally. The money is largely in the men’s game, let the women have access to it.

That is what is right and progressive........

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The club has invested very heavily in building a top English women's football team. They clearly want as much interest as possible in it so I think it's fair enough that they advertise it on the club Twitter account.

I can;t see why so many people are getting upset by this. Updates on Twitter are a VERY recent thing anyway so it's not like there's a long-established tradition that's being broken. And there are other as convenient ways of getting updates. There's the Albion App for a start.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

In my view that is a minor advance and given the riches and profile sport offers sportswomen in competing with sportsmen. I want to see the best compete regardless of gender, that is how we genuinely expand horizons.

I do however think that with this advance then women competing with men in sport is in many ways a much smaller step physically, but a greater step culturally. The money is largely in the men’s game, let the women have access to it.

That is what is right and progressive........

You seem to believe that women are being denied the "riches" available to men because there are separate Women's and Men's sporting events.

If anything, I think that having separate Men's and Women's events actually massively INCREASES the amount of money available to women (compared to what would be the likely outcome if there were only combined draws/teams/competitions). For instance, Wimbledon offers equal prize money in the Men's and Women's Singles events; John McEnroe, for one, believes that the best women's player (Serena Williams) would rank at around 700 in the men's ranking. If there was a single, combined Wimbledon Singles event, ALL the prize money would probably be won by men.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
You seem to believe that women are being denied the "riches" available to men because there are separate Women's and Men's sporting events.

If anything, I think that having separate Men's and Women's events actually massively INCREASES the amount of money available to women (compared to what would be the likely outcome if there were only combined draws/teams/competitions). For instance, Wimbledon offers equal prize money in the Men's and Women's Singles events; John McEnroe, for one, believes that the best women's player (Serena Williams) would rank at around 700 in the men's ranking. If there was a single, combined Wimbledon Singles event, ALL the prize money would probably be won by men.

John sounds like he thinks women are physically inferior to men..........that’s not what the US Army thinks.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...-is-growing-its-first-female-enlisted-grunts/

They are further ahead than the UK army as they already have established integrated units, plus women drill sergeants, NCOs’ and commanders all leading and training men.

This is the future.........sports will need to get with the programme, integrated sports offers equality.

There is nothing more physically demanding and viscerally competitive than combat to the death.

Women have earns the right to do that side by side with men, and against men, so don’t argue that they can’t play tennis competitively against the men.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
John sounds like he thinks women are physically inferior to men..........that’s not what the US Army thinks.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...-is-growing-its-first-female-enlisted-grunts/

They are further ahead than the UK army as they already have established integrated units, plus women drill sergeants, NCOs’ and commanders all leading and training men.

This is the future.........sports will need to get with the programme, integrated sports offers equality.

There is nothing more physically demanding and viscerally competitive than combat to the death.

Women have earns the right to do that side by side with men, and against men, so don’t argue that they can’t play tennis competitively against the men.

Fair enough - you are entitled to your views.

This is what Serena Williams had to say in 2013:-

Actually it’s funny, because Andy Murray, he’s been joking about myself and him playing a match. I’m like, ‘Andy, seriously, are you kidding me?’ For me, mens’ tennis and womens’ tennis are completely, almost, two separate sports. If I were to play Andy Murray, I would lose 6-0, 6-0 in five to six minutes, maybe 10 minutes. No, it’s true. It’s a completely different sport. The men are a lot faster and they serve harder, they hit harder, it’s just a different game. I love to play women’s tennis. I only want to play girls, because i don’t want to be embarrassed. I would not do the tour, I would not do Billie Jean [King] any disservice. So Andy, stop it. I’m not going to let you kill me.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Fair enough - you are entitled to your views.

This is what Serena Williams had to say in 2013:-

Sure thing, as are you of course.

Tennis despite still being segregated is an outlier in sports as it offers a measure of equality in prize money, there are other sports like horse racing where men compete equally with women, so integrated sports are already happening.

In relation to football this is not the case, and the women’s game will never reach equilibrium with them men’s game despite all the earnest and well intentioned actions by clubs media and the FA. The same position applies to other major UK sports like cricket and rugby.

The Government are rightly pushing for quotas for women in areas like Boardrooms and in other institutions etc. and perhaps the FA they should consider such a step to integrate women into mainstream football. If professional football teams had to have a a minimum of (say) 5 women in their squads, and 1 on the pitch then women footballers get access to the money available to men, this would be a more positive step than maintaining 2 leagues.

As the women improve, as they would in that environment, the quota moves to 50/50.

Our horizons are fully expanded........who could disagree with that?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Government are rightly pushing for quotas for women in areas like Boardrooms and in other institutions etc. and perhaps the FA they should consider such a step to integrate women into mainstream football. If professional football teams had to have a a minimum of (say) 5 women in their squads, and 1 on the pitch then women footballers get access to the money available to men, this would be a more positive step than maintaining 2 leagues.

Now we're talking. There was a thread last year about the law changes you'd like to see brought in and that was mine - although I wanted two women per team. The only difference is that I saw this as a FIFA change rather than an FA one. I still stick with it as an idea - I think it would have a massive transformational effect on football, on sport generally and on a wider society.

We're beginning to see it happen in cricket: it happens at serious club level and I'm sure I'll see a woman playing male county cricket in my lifetime (Sarah Taylor has been registered as a player by Sussex, just in case there's an injury crisis).

It will never happen in rugby though - far, far too dangerous. The trend in rugby is in the other direction, to try to reduce discrepancies in weight and power, they're currently separated at 11 years old (it used to be 12) and can't see that changing.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Well that sounds like you want to maintain the status quo not expand horizons, there’s nothing wrong in being conservative but the world is changing Grandad.

Women serving in this country’s armed forces are fit and able enough to kill our enemies on the front line, all power to them.

I'll give you credit. It's the first time you have ever tried to be cunning. Clumsy though.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Are we obliged to enthuse and marvel at everything the club does? I don't mind lassies having a bash at it, all women should be treated as if they were equal but I'm not interested in hearing about it or watching it. It's a bit shit. But then again, I don't have twitter so it's not really a problem.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
So the women's team deserves no place at BHAFC? Good grief. Is it really destroying your karma that much? Perhaps they'll win something, and it might just release a tiny bit of joy inside that gender-restricted cold heart of yours.

Oh, and there was once a time when women's football drew large crowds - for example, the 53,000 who watched Dick, Kerr's Ladies FC take on St Helen's Ladies at Goodison Park in 1920,

Where have I said that? I just said that most of our fanbase aren't bothered about the women's team. They'd go and watch them if they were. Bringing an attendance from the 1920s is perhaps clutching at straws a little. I don't care if we have a women's team or not- good luck to them. If they want to play football than that's up to them, makes no difference to me. I'm not going to get excited about it though, because the quality is crap compared to men's football.

No-one (in their right mind) has said it is sexist to say that. That's something you've fabricated. The sexism comes from some individuals who state that women shouldn't be playing football, and that the Amex was built only for men to play.

Interesting that the loudest voices of dissent and misery are from those who've never been to see them play.

No-one (in their right mind) has said that women shouldn't be playing football, and that the Amex was built only for men to play. Have they?

that gender-restricted cold heart of yours.
:lolol:

Now that is an interesting point. Surely making them play in their own teams with their own gender is discriminatory? It’s only one step up from making them have their own stands to watch games in, like they supposedly do in Saudi Arabia. Which team would transgender folk play in? If we really want complete gender equality then we should all be playing in the same teams, surely?

I can;t see why so many people are getting upset by this.
To be fair, I don't think anyone is actually getting upset. Except [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION] of course, but that's a bit different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here