Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dear Jonny Williams,

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Just like Palace fans go on about being in the top two divisions for 30 something years. And just like Palace fans used to talk about attendances while we were stuck at the Withdean. Once we got our new ground and filled it, of course Brighton fans are going to use it to belittle Palace. Palace fans will brag about anything they have that we don't have, and vice versa.

All part of a rivalry. I said earlier on this thread that we both have a lot to brag about at present so all this who is superior bullocks is a never ending argument!

All part of a rivalry. I said earlier on this thread that we both have a lot to brag about at present so all this who is superior bullocks is a never ending argument!

Until Brighton pip Palace to the title and beat us in the semi final of a game of equal magnitude such as the play off's,
it's always going to Palace who have the upper hand regardless if we have 20k less fans than Bha.:amex: we love it

:goal:

Good luck Sat I'll be watching:whistle:

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I largely agree with you but how many times have their beens jibes about our attendances and how yours are/were much bigger despite us only losing to you once in the last 6 attempts, Brighton fans seemingly love to remind us that your attendances are so high.

I'm happy to admit that has thankfully calmed down but I never quite understood why some BHAFC fans were so desperate to let us know their average attendances.

I remember when Roberto Martinez was at Wigan and in a press conference said that in the transfer window that had just shut, they had been interested in Zaha.

Steve Parishes reaction was that Martinez was trying to unsettle Zaha and he shouldn't be talking about it (this was less than a month after Parish spoke in your local paper about Ross McCormack, and how you were still interested in him).

Anyway he said that no offence to Wigan, but he felt that Palace were a bigger club than Wigan because if they were both on an even footing, Palaces income would be a lot bigger than Wigans. In my eyes thats the same mentality as our attendance thing. It also means that all the while you don't do anything with your infrastructure we are a bigger club than you (according to Parish).::drink:

Also the attendance thing was always a big issue because Palace fans stated we would never need a stadium of 22,000, so when we filled it up some had to make sure you knew that you were wrong.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I would say success, for instance in the playoffs, would be winning them, rather than being knocked out of them. Perhaps even by the team that won them. I would also equate success with being in the nation's top league. It's all relative of course, therefore I'd consider any club calling itself 'premier league ready' yet perennially 'premier league just missing out' to be failing. Especially if their crowds and consequent superior income were supposed to make them powerhouses of the division.
I think you have become a premier league fan. that means that there are at least 72 professional teams that are faiiures. You game against Sheff Wed that day still made you a failure.

Being ready for the premier League and being in the Premier League are two different things. Do you think Man Utd are ready to be a Premier League team or are they a Premier League team?

Barber who has been here for two years this summer is the fella who coined the phase Premier League ready. We still have a chance of making the play-offs this season, so how do you know we won't still go up?

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
I think you have become a premier league fan. that means that there are at least 72 professional teams that are faiiures. You game against Sheff Wed that day still made you a failure.

Being ready for the premier League and being in the Premier League are two different things. Do you think Man Utd are ready to be a Premier League team or are they a Premier League team?

Barber who has been here for two years this summer is the fella who coined the phase Premier League ready. We still have a chance of making the play-offs this season, so how do you know we won't still go up?
My apologies, Andy. Rather than be a 'PL fan', my understanding was that the ideal aspirational target for all clubs in the English leagues was to finish as high in the four divisions as possible.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Firstly, one doesn't need to be a member of NSC to see or hear such bold statements from Brighton fans.
But if you weren't on here, where were you hearing from all these Brighton fans? Do you meet up with them once a week? You're just talking nonsense. The vast majority of Brighton fans have their feet on the ground.

Secondly, if you didn't feel for instance that the smug, overconfident build up to the 1-3 and playoff defeat didn't fall flat for Brighton, then I applaud your chipper outlook.
I wasn't over-confident. The bookies made us favourites, and we were, but if you follow football then you know that you can lose any game. Just like Chelsea beat Liverpool but lost to you and Sunderland. Even the teams at the top lose to teams at the bottom, let alone two teams that were a lot closer (ie, Brighton vs Palace). And no doubt a lot of Palace fans were confident on route to the St Patrick's Day Massacre, thinking they'd get the first double over Brighton since 1932.

All part of a rivalry.
Exactly. Despite a few weeks of sheer stupidity, Palace eventually agreed to bring Pulis in, and he's been amazing for you, so right now Palace fans must be loving it, and I expect them to brag. It's weird some of them have to make up crap, as it detracts from what Palace actually are doing well.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
[MENTION=27652]VHA on NSC[/MENTION] Was this following post that offensive to you that you felt you had to give it the Thumbs down:
Thanks.
Why do think that's both unexpected and not the case? If you expected big crowds to be important, what has changed?
Are you just going to Thumbs down every post by someone that talks to you? :lol:

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Firstly, one doesn't need to be a member of NSC to see or hear such bold statements from Brighton fans.

Secondly, if you didn't feel for instance that the smug, overconfident build up to the 1-3 and playoff defeat didn't fall flat for Brighton, then I applaud your chipper outlook.
You are rewriting history.

For every smug, overconfident thing written (I'm assuming you meant forum posts as opposed to, you know, actually talking to people) there were 100 other posts stating how nervous/tense/etc we were going into those games.

chamakh_attack

Feb 14, 2014
Sorry to jump in at the end of a thread and ask stupid questions but what does the title mean? Has Williams got injured or something? It isn't obvious from the few intiial pages I read and this final one which looks like going back to usual spats over attendances and bragging rights blah blah blah

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Sorry to jump in at the end of a thread and ask stupid questions but what does the title mean? Has Williams got injured or something? It isn't obvious from the few intiial pages I read and this final one which looks like going back to usual spats over attendances and bragging rights blah blah blah

The thread started with an open letter to Johnny Williams, whereupon fans of Albion and Palace amused themselves pending Johnny’s reply.

chamakh_attack

Feb 14, 2014
The thread started with an open letter to Johnny Williams, whereupon fans of Albion and Palace amused themselves pending Johnny’s reply.

Still doesn't make sense with the opening post "Unlucky you smug wanker". Wondering what he has done apart from gather good reviews and bag goal of the season from his loan spell at Ipswich. I understand you are not keen on him but if there is no other reason than he being a good player who played well against you once or twice then seems a little extreme.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Still doesn't make sense with the opening post "Unlucky you smug wanker". Wondering what he has done apart from gather good reviews and bag goal of the season from his loan spell at Ipswich. I understand you are not keen on him but if there is no other reason than he being a good player who played well against you once or twice then seems a little extreme.

Williams celebrated Ipswich Town’s win at the Amex last month with relish, which he was entitled to do, especially after he was derided throughout the match, but he gestured at Albion fans and, allegedly, in a “homophobic” manner. I did not see his gestures, so I cannot comment definitively.

After Ipswich’s win, it looked as if they would overtake us and sail into the play-offs, inspired by Williams, but we outlasted them, which is cause for some satisfaction in a generally disappointing season for us.

chamakh_attack

Feb 14, 2014
Williams celebrated Ipswich Town’s win at the Amex last month with relish, which he was entitled to do, especially after he was derided throughout the match, but he gestured at Albion fans and, allegedly, in a “homophobic” manner. I did not see his gestures, so I cannot comment definitively.

After Ipswich’s win, it looked as if they would overtake us and sail into the play-offs, inspired by Williams, but we outlasted them, which is cause for some satisfaction in a generally disappointing season for us.

I see. That's fair enough, I imagine most rival fans would be the same. Although I'm sure it was confirmed that the homophobic gesture was merely a team mate (Cresswell) pulling his shorts down from behind so he probably cannot be blamed for that. Celebrating in front of you though was probably ill advised.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Please don't feel that you speak for others.

'Generally disappointing season', my 4rse. There is one game left and we are ONE point outside the play-offs. What were you expecting? Champions League final?

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Please don't feel that you speak for others.

'Generally disappointing season', my 4rse. There is one game left and we are ONE point outside the play-offs. What were you expecting? Champions League final?

I wasn’t speaking for others. I was expressing my view…a view that is held by many Albion fans.

The disappointment comes from the knowledge that, with anything approaching a full-strength squad, we would have seen fewer pedestrian, negative performances and garnered many more points playing the attacking football that Oscar promised us last summer.

Again, that’s my view.

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
Until Brighton pip Palace to the title and beat us in the semi final of a game of equal magnitude such as the play off's,
it's always going to Palace who have the upper hand regardless if we have 20k less fans than Bha.:amex: we love it

:goal:

Good luck Sat I'll be watching:whistle:

False in the 80s you were always second best.:)

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
My apologies, Andy. Rather than be a 'PL fan', my understanding was that the ideal aspirational target for all clubs in the English leagues was to finish as high in the four divisions as possible.
Of course it is. I just think that you being in the Premiership is a consequence of your success not your actual success. The last two seasons you have been very successful, but your success has been reaching the Premiership, and staying in the Premiership,

The higher up the leagues you end up, the more success's you have had. If being in the Premiership was the success, then the reality really would be that there was 72 professional teams that were failures. Also would mean that Man Utd's and Cardiffs (even if they were relegated) seasons were a success. Ask their fans if they think their seasons were a success.

As you said success is relative. Ask Brighton fans if this season has been a success you will get a variety of answers, but the answers will depend what their expectation was, that is what success is, achieving expectations. Constantly meeting or passing your expectations over the last couple of seasons are why they have been a success for you.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Of course it is. I just think that you being in the Premiership is a consequence of your success not your actual success. The last two seasons you have been very successful, but your success has been reaching the Premiership, and staying in the Premiership,

The higher up the leagues you end up, the more success's you have had. If being in the Premiership was the success, then the reality really would be that there was 72 professional teams that were failures. Also would mean that Man Utd's and Cardiffs (even if they were relegated) seasons were a success. Ask their fans if they think their seasons were a success.

As you said success is relative. Ask Brighton fans if this season has been a success you will get a variety of answers, but the answers will depend what their expectation was, that is what success is, achieving expectations. Constantly meeting or passing your expectations over the last couple of seasons are why they have been a success for you.

Anyone else had the word "success" lose all meaning? :p

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Well, little Joniesta ('Joniesta' :lolol:) and Donkey Dobbie really did mess up our hopes of a playoff spot just as you'd predicted didn't they Palace fans?

:ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here