Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool F.C.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I come from a time when Liverpool were the biggest club in England, while we were playing Aldershot, Hull City, Rotherham,Chesterfield etc etc they were the Kings of the First Division. In those days European Cups were competed for only by the champions of their country, not by someone who slipped in to the draw by being 4th in some funny Spanish league. You had to be the best to play the best and that was the case with Liverpool, I fondly remember the times when they played in strange countries against teams whose " Fans" were baying mobs of smokebomb throwing lunatics and against all the odds they got a result.

Yet Liverpool would often grind out a result away then finish the job at home with relentless determination, I was a Brighton fan but on those nights I was a scouser ! they won the European Cup 4 times in 8 years which is truly an amazing achievement. SAF won just two European Cups in 27 years but is lauded as the greatest British manager of all time ? So for me, on a midweek European football night, i'm a scouser… but any other time I'm Brighton, and the Sunday FA cup victory over Liverpool will long live in the memory as from my position in the SW I was directly behind Terry Connors shot as he curled it round Grobbelar. !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Is it not simply that Man Utd's rise coincided with Sky and the start of the Premier League, the subsequent wall to wall coverage and the medias obsession with raising bang average pretty boys and mad Frenchmen to Deity status? This engendered hatred among non-believers to levels not previously seen, I reckon.

The only time I visited Liverpool, I left with pneumonia. I have not been back.

Most are just happy to keep their hubcaps.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
That there has always been a strong connection with Irish/celtic side of Liverpool for Liverpool FC and not the English protestant. To say this is more recent is ignorant.

Sorry could you please point out where I have disagreed with any point about religious connections with the club?
My first word in my reply to Thunder bolt when this was suggested was ' understood'

I'm just confused about the ' Scouse not English ' banners.
The more recent comments were that I don't remember seeing a banner like this in the past.

I would be interested to know if Everton fans see themselves as ' Scouse not English '

This is England BTW :D

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is it not simply that Man Utd's rise coincided with Sky and the start of the Premier League, the subsequent wall to wall coverage and the medias obsession with raising bang average pretty boys and mad Frenchmen to Deity status? This engendered hatred among non-believers to levels not previously seen, I reckon.

The only time I visited Liverpool, I left with pneumonia. I have not been back.

A good summary. Sky’s hype instantly gave top flight football an exposure ten fold that of that of up to 1991/92, copying American sports marketing models, with relentless hype before matches and then forever showing highlights of ManU etc matches from 1992/93 (to this very day). Loads of new football fans jumped on the ManU bandwagon, but then that typical British thing of awkwardness/counter-culture swiftly followed with masses hating ManU.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
True but the point being made was that this anti English connection was more recent when actually its the other way around.

I must admit I haven’t got a clue when then the purported non-English thing started. I worked with a load of ManU fans in the 90’s who’s phrase was something like ManU first, f*ck England. With another phrase Republik of Mancunia.

At the same time Fergie pulled his players from internationals with fake injuries, with club before country a first.

Until this good WC summer with Southgate, this ‘disease’ spread to other large clubs fan bases. In the last 15 years its seems more likely to see fans of Newcastle, Stoke, Nuneaton, Kettering etc following England, than ManU, Liverpool.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I think mancs & scousers (north of Watford) back in the 70's didn't like the fact all England games were played at Wembley

which I can understand to a degree

I was very happy to see England play at different venues when the new wembley was being built

just a shame they don't anymore

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Sorry could you please point out where I have disagreed with any point about religious connections with the club?
My first word in my reply to Thunder bolt when this was suggested was ' understood'

I'm just confused about the ' Scouse not English ' banners.
The more recent comments were that I don't remember seeing a banner like this in the past.

I would be interested to know if Everton fans see themselves as ' Scouse not English '

This is England BTW :D

Thats like saying I would be interested to know if Rangers fans see themselves as "not British". I have to admit I am as confused with the scouse not English but it stems from this unless you have another theory. There was an old "joke" that scousers are Irish that cant swim.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Man U beat us in a final and have far too many glory supporters that wouldn't even know where the stadium is!
Liverpool does hold some special memories of laying down and letting us win when they pretty much ruled the land in that same year.

I have an irrational dislike for Manchester, where as Liverpool is a great city with a terrific vibe about the place.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thats like saying I would be interested to know if Rangers fans see themselves as "not British". I have to admit I am as confused with the scouse not English but it stems from this unless you have another theory. There was an old "joke" that scousers are Irish that cant swim.
[MENTION=28056]bn9 bha[/MENTION] was, in effect, querying whether the ‘scouse not english’ thing is an LFC or city wide phenomena?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Man U beat us in a final and have far too many glory supporters that wouldn't even know where the stadium is!
Liverpool does hold some special memories of laying down and letting us win when they pretty much ruled the land in that same year.

I have an irrational dislike for Manchester, where as Liverpool is a great city with a terrific vibe about the place.

An Albion family I knew (ironically the Dad was also a ManU fan going back to Busby), were unprovoked attacked and covered in gob by ManU thugs at the 83 final.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Is it?
I think we are confusing each other with our points here.... :mad:

Everton = protestant = England
Liverpool = Catholic and banners saying not English
Rangers = protestant = British
Celtic = Catholic = not British
Liverpool and Celtic half and half scarves
Everton and Rangers half and half scarves.

Clear now?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I have worked in Liverpool city centre for the last 16 years so am probably biased but I think it’s a great place. Most of the supporters I work with (about 80:20 in favour of Liverpool, with one Blackpool fan!) are genuine enough and have good things to say about us. Can’t say I care if they win or lose mind.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Everton = protestant = England
Liverpool = Catholic and banners saying not English
Rangers = protestant = British
Celtic = Catholic = not British
Liverpool and Celtic half and half scarves
Everton and Rangers half and half scarves.

Clear now?

As mud
No it's not clear.

A quick google search about this mentioned f all about religion.
Are you seriously trying to tell me all Everton fans are Protestant?

I know all about Rangers and Celtic but I'm not really sure what this has to do with anything.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
As mud
No it's not clear.

A quick google search about this mentioned f all about religion.
Are you seriously trying to tell me all Everton fans are Protestant?

I know all about Rangers and Celtic but I'm not really sure what this has to do with anything.

There was a massive problem with religion in Liverpool watch the who do you think you are for Cilla Black to see her family history as a guide. Families would cut off people that crossed the religious divide. If you want to google argue with me then I will wish you a merry christmas and leave it at that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here