Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Allardyce Sacked

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Well there's no evidence of that. He was drawn into a meeting about a business proposition, and apparently did it as more as a favour for a friend of his. A couple of pints of wine later and boom, he's on the front pages, and soon after that he's back on the dole.

I'd have liked to have seen what he would've done with England. The football wouldn't have been pretty, but he does have a skill for getting teams organised, whilst getting the most out of limited resources. Everyone wants to play like Spain, but when you don't have the tools at your disposal, you do the best that you can with the tools you have (and some of our players certainly are tools). We'd not have done any worse under BFS.

Totally agree on both points. BFS was royal stitched up and then put on trial by the media. His comments were at worse misguided.

I'd feel a lot more confident going into the world cup with him at the helm over Southgate.

I feel slightly sorry for him that he has lost his job at Everton as if you had sat down at the start of the season and predicted the order of the table most people would have had the top six teams as it turned out in some order and then probably Everton so realistically he's finished one place off that due to Burnley having a corker of a season which no one would have predicted. Given their start its a pretty good achievement.

That said I can understand the Everton fans reasoning for not wanting him moving forward. I got fed up watching the Mark McGhee side because the experience as a whole was rubbish (granted not helped by Withdean) so can understand why Everton fans want more than just good results.

On the radio this morning they suggested with his survival bonus and pay off he likely to walk away with £6m in his bin. I've no idea how true that is but either way I expect him to buy a villa next door his St James Park and call it Goodison.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You're ignoring the fact that he didn't commit to anything at all, because he said he would "have to check with his employers first".
Not really, because he'd just have been checking with his employers if he could give some speeches - he wouldn't be telling them that he'd also be advising on how to circumvent the rules.

But you need to take a step back from all the howling sensationalist spin that the tabloids (predictably) put on this sting, and analyse what he actually said, and what he actually did.
I haven't even read what the media have spun, I've just watched the video and read the transcript. He's clearly fine with dodging the rules.

IMO it was nowhere near a sackable offence
Well he was barely sacked, he was paid off.
But the FA is weak, they don't like all the lurid headlines, so they took the easy option, paid him off, and installed a nice quiet blazer in his place.
I completely agree. I hate the FA, they are everything that's wrong with football in this country. Southgate being the England manager is a joke.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not really, because he'd just have been checking with his employers if he could give some speeches - he wouldn't be telling them that he'd also be advising on how to circumvent the rules.

I haven't even read what the media have spun, I've just watched the video and read the transcript. He's clearly fine with dodging the rules.

Well he was barely sacked, he was paid off.
I completely agree. I have the FA, they are everything that's wrong with football in this country. Southgate being the England manager is a joke.

Once again, you're dolloping a shedload of suppositions on what Sam would and wouldn't have done had he accepted that speaking role they were offering (which he didn't). From where I'm sitting, you don't get sacked - and yes, he WAS sacked, along with a payoff - on the basis of what you think he might go and do, based on nothing more than an offer of a role, and some loosely vague comments about there being ways around 3rd party ownership rules (which is hardly news).

Had he sat there and accepted the role during that meeting, and given them a few nuggets or examples on exactly how to circumnavigate those rules, then he'd be bang to rights. But as it was, he did neither. The rest of your rancour is based on what you RECKON he'd have gone and done. And thats not really a basis for a sacking.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Could you show me where it confirms he was sacked? I thought he resigned.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2016/sep/27/fa-statement-sam-allardyce-27-09-16

"Allardyce's conduct, as reported today, was inappropriate of the England manager. He accepts he made a significant error of judgement and has apologised. However, due to the serious nature of his actions, The FA and Allardyce have mutually agreed to terminate his contract with immediate effect.

This is not a decision that was taken lightly but The FA's priority is to protect the wider interests of the game and maintain the highest standards of conduct in football. The manager of the England men's senior team is a position which must demonstrate strong leadership and show respect for the integrity of the game at all times."

Sacked.

(PLEASE lets not get into a debate over semantics - you and I both know a "mutual agreement" to terminate a contract is a sacking).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How many sacked employees get a million pound payoff?

any with a contract for a term with payment. if he'd resigned he wouldnt have got anything.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Actually that was posted before you even made your post.

:facepalm:

Allardyce wanted that job desperately, it was a lifetime ambition of his so he would not have given it up lightly. He apologised, but it was not enough for them to let him keep his job. I'd say the reason for the payoff was so that he went quietly without kicking up a fuss, because the basis of that sacking was flimsy.

I can't believe we're arguing the toss over whether he was sacked. If it was up to BFS, he'd still be in that job now. It wasn't though, hence - sacked.

[edit] - and what [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] said.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Actually that was posted before you even made your post.

:facepalm:

I thought virtually every football manager sacked gets a huge payoff. Being their fixed term contract paid up in full, the amount only mitigated by them taking alternative employment soon afterwards.

It's a different scenario altogether to normal folk in jobs dismissed for gross misconduct, for example.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I thought virtually every football manager sacked gets a huge payoff. Being their fixed term contract paid up in full, the amount only mitigated by them taking alternative employment soon afterwards.

It's a different scenario altogether to normal folk in jobs dismissed for gross misconduct, for example.

That’s the point, Allardyce didn’t get his contract paid up, he received an agreed payoff.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
(PLEASE lets not get into a debate over semantics - you and I both know a "mutual agreement" to terminate a contract is a sacking).
Well they're clearly not the same, because people who are properly sacked don't get pain £1m. You arguing that he hadn't done anything wrong is a debate over semantics. To me he clearly had. Presumably there would have been a definition in his contract for gross misconduct, and this may have met those conditions.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Well they're clearly not the same, because people who are properly sacked don't get pain £1m. You arguing that he hadn't done anything wrong is a debate over semantics. To me he clearly had. Presumably there would have been a definition in his contract for gross misconduct, and this may have met those conditions.
If that were the case (gross misconduct) then they wouldn't have had to pay him anything.

Anyway, can't we just all agree that the FA made a total balls of it, as per?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Everton making the announcement whilst he was at the LMA dinner. They didn't even have the manners to tell him first.

Crikey, we'd never do that .... would we?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

In which case, he'd not have been paid a bean.

The term "mutual consent" doesn't mean they haven't sacked him. The FA decided, in their wisdom, that they no longer wanted Allardyce as England manager. He didn't walk, he was pushed - while they stuffed some readies into his back pocket in a 'say no more' deal.

If they'd accepted his apology then he'd probably still be England manager now, being as he desperately wanted to be. But that option was taken away from him.

Sacked.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If that were the case (gross misconduct) then they wouldn't have had to pay him anything.
That's not the case, as they could feel that it was gross misconduct, bat Sam's lawyer Easy 10 could argue that it isn't, so there could be a court case. Instead they offered him a figure (less than what he was due to be paid if he saw his contract out) and he took it.

In which case, he'd not have been paid a bean.
See above.

The term "mutual consent" doesn't mean they haven't sacked him. The FA decided, in their wisdom, that they no longer wanted Allardyce as England manager. He didn't walk, he was pushed - while they stuffed some readies into his back pocket in a 'say no more' deal.
Of course he was pushed, but he could have had his full contract paid off if he didn't know they had a point. Like when managers are normally sacked, they get the whole lot paid, as they've done nothing wrong.

If they'd accepted his apology then he'd probably still be England manager now, being as he desperately wanted to be. But that option was taken away from him.
Indeed.

The point you're really arguing is that he hadn't done enough wrong to have to leave. As I said above, I don't think he needed to leave either, the FA are ****ing useless, but I don't agree that he did nothing wrong, and if he hadn't, I don't think he'd have walked for £1m either. Like you say, he wanted the job.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here