Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kodjia to Derby ££!!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Sky Sports News just said it could be worth up to £20m.

No doubt promotion-driven.

With the money in the prem a team like Villa could realistically do a "Deal worth up to £40m" where they pay £15m and £25m if promoted. That additional £25m will look like pittance in the grand price of achieving promotion.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

With the money in the prem a team like Villa could realistically do a "Deal worth up to £40m" where they pay £15m and £25m if promoted. That additional £25m will look like pittance in the grand price of achieving promotion.

It's crazy the money available and being spent now and Burnley are still rattling a tin-can for Stephens. :rolleyes:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's a truly disgusting state of affairs when all the relegated teams spunk tens of millions on the best championship players and cherry pick who they want from other clubs. It's honestly a disgrace.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's a truly disgusting state of affairs when all the relegated teams spunk tens of millions on the best championship players and cherry pick who they want from other clubs. It's honestly a disgrace.

There was a Newcastle fan on Twitter after our game who said how wretchedly unfair it was that they're able to spend upwards of £25m in one transfer window when it's quite likely we've probably just about spent £25m in our entire history. And I'm not sure we're actually anywhere near having ever spent that much.

Abolish parachute payments. It really is the only sensible thing the game can do to try and reign in this rampant cash spending.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

The thing is, it's actually starting to NOT look like a pittance isn't it? That £150m or whatever it is now is not a bottomless pit, and given prem teams have wage bills of £30m plus, £25m is starting to look like a big chunk of that.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
There was a Newcastle fan on Twitter after our game who said how wretchedly unfair it was that they're able to spend upwards of £25m in one transfer window when it's quite likely we've probably just about spent £25m in our entire history. And I'm not sure we're actually anywhere near having ever spent that much.

Abolish parachute payments. It really is the only sensible thing the game can do to try and reign in this rampant cash spending.

Was never convinced of this before this season simply because the record of teams going straight back to Prem was poor, so evidently PP was worth less than might seem to be case.

But Championship is now becoming like Prem, only worse because there are at least 6 or so teams that can realistically challenge for Prem, and there is the added interest of European places for runners up. In Championship, it is top two then a shoot out lottery for one other.

At the end of the day, money will win. We have to hope the rest of the world (aka Asia) will tire of seeing Burnley v Bournemouth live at 0700 on Sunday morning local time. This is realistically only way a playing field will become anywhere near level.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

In an ideal world, yes. All Premier League clubs, as some do, would have clauses inserted into players contracts regarding wages in the event of relegation and parachute payments would be abolished to make a level playing field for the second tier of the English football pyramid. I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen though.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
In an ideal world, yes. All Premier League clubs, as some do, would have clauses inserted into players contracts regarding wages in the event of relegation and parachute payments would be abolished to make a level playing field for the second tier of the English football pyramid. I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen though.

Exactly this. Relegation wage drops or the like would force clubs to be sensible and, I think, it would also have the added bonus of weeding out any mercenary types who likely wouldn't sign a contract with that sort of a clause.

I have never been able to work out why failure is consistently, and heftily, rewarded.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

Wouldn't that further widen the gap between the top clubs and the 'also rans'? Given the choice the player is far less likely to go for a risky club and have their wages cut significantly. And they'll do all they can to leave once in the second tier and barely able to afford a pint of caviar to go on their solid golden flakes of corn. Although I suppose those players signing for the lesser clubs didn't have that many alternatives in the safer clubs anyway, so maybe it's moot.

All I know if that it's definitely more of a joke this year. And every year from here on is going to be a nightmare for the non-yo-yo Championship clubs like us. We'll struggle to compete with however has just come down with a boat load of money, expensive players to jettison for serious millions, plus parachute cash.

We'll have to put the pies up to £5k each. Maybe get a couple of subway kiosks in.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Wouldn't that further widen the gap between the top clubs and the 'also rans'? Given the choice the player is far less likely to go for a risky club and have their wages cut significantly. And they'll do all they can to leave once in the second tier and barely able to afford a pint of caviar to go on their solid golden flakes of corn. Although I suppose those players signing for the lesser clubs didn't have that many alternatives in the safer clubs anyway, so maybe it's moot.

All I know if that it's definitely more of a joke this year. And every year from here on is going to be a nightmare for the non-yo-yo Championship clubs like us. We'll struggle to compete with however has just come down with a boat load of money, expensive players to jettison for serious millions, plus parachute cash.

We'll have to put the pies up to £5k each. Maybe get a couple of subway kiosks in.

I suppose it could widen the gap between the top clubs and the rest, but last season I read the powers that be at Chelsea were genuinely worried about staring down the barrel of Armageddon as they had no clauses on players contracts in the event of relegation, hence showing Mourinho the door, as going down was the greatest fear. I read at the time that Spurs had clauses in their players contracts apparently. QPR didn't when they were relegated in 2013. Their wage bill v turnover was ridiculous.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
£32m for the 3 villa strikers ? Shame their defence and midfield is absolute ****.

Could be the one saving grace. Nearly every club in the division will look on their front line options of Kodija + McCormack + Gestede + Ayew with envy.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Poor old Bristol City fans. Having been told he wouldn't be sold to a competitor, he is. This amount of money washing around the Championship now is a corrupting influence, making contracts meaningless once the player says "I wanna go".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here