Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Mark Kermode

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The thing about that show is that Kermode and Mayo exchange absolute gibberish between each other for long periods which makes it almost unlistenable

Totally agree. Kermode does a little slot on BBC news channel without Simon Mayo (a Worthing lad BTW) and I really like that. But the incessant banter/sniping between K & M on the radio does grate. Also I'm not a great fan of the rather smarmy listeners' letters they read out. But, I have to admit they are in many ways a class act.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Still it is better than Claudia Winkleman being a serious film critic but she does have ET as her number 1 film of all time so she can't be all bad

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I likes the films he likes and hates the films he despises (the few that I've seen). I trust him judgement in terms of recommendations. I've read a few of his books and hear his voice when I'm reading them, albeit somewhat slower.
"Now here's the thing" isn't a bad catch phrase.
Broadly in favour.
8/10

I would take notice of his recommendations.

A couple of years ago on Christmas Eve I saw him waiting patiently for someone in the entrance of John Lewis in Southampton.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
They generally only read out reviews that agree with Kermode's viewpoint

I've heard quite a few that run contrary to the previous week's judgements, but not listening to them all that much anymore, I don't doubt it's not that regular.

I used to enjoy their Bantz a few years ago, but after hearing his evisceration of The Hangover and consequently laughing myself stoopid at a rowdy screening in, er, south London somewhere..., decided I could make my own mind up from thereonin.

The only proper beef I have with them both, is that Mayo conducts the interviews - interviews with actors/directors, and I'd be vastly more interested if Mark Kermode could do them instead.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I've heard quite a few that run contrary to the previous week's judgements, but not listening to them all that much anymore, I don't doubt it's not that regular.

I used to enjoy their Bantz a few years ago, but after hearing his evisceration of The Hangover and consequently laughing myself stoopid at a rowdy screening in, er, south London somewhere..., decided I could make my own mind up from thereonin.

The only proper beef I have with them both, is that Mayo conducts the interviews - interviews with actors/directors, and I'd be vastly more interested if Mark Kermode could do them instead.

Totally agree about Kermode and American comedy he just doesn't get it at all. He finds cartoons funny but anything with Seth Rogan or similar he just slams for being childish and sexist

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
His review of (rant about) Entourage is brilliant (and spot on)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My Dad hates him.

Your turn to review the reviewer.

Your dad is wrong (I had to edit that. Several times). Commode is a lege. And a Comsat Angels fan :bowdown:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don't hate him - for all I know he might be a perfectly nice bloke, and he's certainly never done me any harm - but I can't stand listening to him. Straight for the off switch in a hurry!

In real life....we'd never get along. Sad, really. :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The thing about that show is that Kermode and Mayo exchange absolute gibberish between each other for long periods which makes it almost unlistenable

Yes. 'It's crap' would be my take.........some people like it. Fair enough. There's all sorts of things that some people like, inexplicable though that might be!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
10/10. Immensely knowledgeable in his field, a great presenter, honest (not a licker of directors/actors to keep in with them), all said without spite.

Well said. Agree 100%. Mary Poppins, anyone? :bowdown:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I would also add that I really like Edith Bowman when she does it and Doc Brown was good the other week (Palace fan I know).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here