Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] End of season blues

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
"Oh no, I still have sleepless nights about how we didn't win the title and merely got automatically promoted in second place behind Newcastle" said no sane Brighton fan at any point in the last 12 months.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I don't see it as a bad thing, in my opinion we've overperformed last couple of years to get where we are, and it's just not possible to do that for entire seasons at a time.

What do you mean overperformed , we are a very good team , and built a team good enough to go up

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Why do we so often fall to pieces at season's end?

2012/13 - lose in playoff semi-finals
2014/15 - lose in playoff semi-finals
2015/16 - lose in playoff semi-finals
2016/17 - seven points ahead of Newcastle with three matches remaining and we fail to win any of them and have to settle for runners-up
2017/18 - one point from our last four games when we were in desperate need of points

Something's not right.

It ain’t half boring being a Brighton fan eh.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
"Oh no, I still have sleepless nights about how we didn't win the title and merely got automatically promoted in second place behind Newcastle" said no sane Brighton fan at any point in the last 12 months.

I can't recall now what the financial difference was between champions and second place last season but it was many millions. "Many millions" that could have gone into the coffers for this season thereby easing the financial burden on Uncle Tony.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I can't recall now what the financial difference was between champions and second place last season but it was many millions. "Many millions" that could have gone into the coffers for this season thereby easing the financial burden on Uncle Tony.

You're right, I was forgetting the parlous financial situation we've found ourselves in.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
"We're Brighton & hove Albion, we can't see things through"

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

From memory it didn't matter where you finished in the championship, all teams received the same position finishing money.

EDIT - Here is a link.
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spo...s/revealed-how-much-newcastle-united-12844008

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

2016/17 - seven points ahead of Newcastle with three matches remaining and we fail to win any of them and have to settle for runners-up
2017/18 - one point from our last four games when we were in desperate need of points

Something's not right.

Perhaps you should be saying didn't we do fantastically well for most of each of the last 7 seasons.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

2012/13 - lose in playoff semi-finals - Could have gone either way on the night against Palace
2014/15 - lose in playoff semi-finals - presumably you mean 2013/14. We had no right to be anywhere near the playoffs this year and lost to a far superior squad
2015/16 - lose in playoff semi-finals - We were absolute shattered post-Boro and then had that bizarre injury crisis at Hilsborough
2016/17 - seven points ahead of Newcastle with three matches remaining and we fail to win any of them and have to settle for runners-up - :cheers:
2017/18 - one point from our last four games when we were in desperate need of points - This one is a bit concerning

Something's not right.

All very easily explained.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

From memory it didn't matter where you finished in the championship, all teams received the same position finishing money.

EDIT - Here is a link.
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spo...s/revealed-how-much-newcastle-united-12844008

:lol:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Something's not right.

Lack of mental steeliness and so an ever present possibility of bottling the big games??
Wouldn't have happened when 'Nobby' was the skipper!:)

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You could name twenty teams in The Championship who would like our record since 2012.

Yes, you are probably right with this. Despite the late disappointment, it has been a great few years since the Amex has opened, but the poster's point is nonetheless valid - there is a disappointing consistency here, and the last two home games have been poor, when so much was at stake.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, you are probably right with this. Despite the late disappointment, it has been a great few years since the Amex has opened, but the poster's point is nonetheless valid - there is a disappointing consistency here, and the last two home games have been poor, when so much was at stake.

Leicester was fair enough. Champions from 2 years ago, who've reinforced with endless £m's spent since. We only crumbled in the last quarter.

Hudd was the shocker. To play so badly with home advantage, against a club that spent even less on players than us. Midlfield outfought again - we get outclassed against teams with 5 pacey, mobile battlers. Annoying that Wagner did that for the third time in four against Hughton. Something that hopefully Winstanley's looking at.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here