Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Eng-Ger-Land v Italy tonight

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
What England fan would be against VAR for the Maradona hand ball or Lampards 'goal' against Germany.None.

People only whine about it when it work's against their team.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Presumably, once VAR is into widespread (eg PL) use, they will recruit from the large pool of fully qualified referees barred from the middle through age restrictions?

it would certainly solve one of the situations I highlighted. Maybe they could also use current refs who are too fat to follow play properly like Jon Moss. I expect they'd have to either re-qualify or take a refresher or something though? Even then it doesn't fill me with confidence. Have you heard how many times ex-referees, who are increasingly becoming pundits, disagree with one another over exactly the same incident?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As an aside, have any of today's tabloids run with the tap-in 'VARDY 1 - 1 VAR' headline?

Disappointing, if not.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But isn't that exactly what continues our interest in the game? All those years later and you can still remember every second of those incidents and the anger and disappointment still lingers, Will you really feel the same about us getting a consolation goal in a 3-1 defeat in the round of 16 because VAR correctly picked up a little shirt pull and goal line technology proved the resulting free kick was a foot over the line?

Or, to explain further, right now if the decision goes against you and you don't believe it's correct you're straight up out of your seat with an "OI REF" or worse even if you've seen it from Row Z wearing blue and white specs and through the lens of five pints of lager. Now you're just going to have to sit there while some other referee, who might not even be in the ground, watches ever more super slo-mo, logo infested images of the same incident and gives the same decision five minutes later. Whoopee.

And let's not even start on the effect this will have on the quality of decisions in the lower leagues. Who, exactly, is going to be the VAR for big games? Won't it need to be other qualified referees. So, you're going to need a ref, two assistants, a fourth official and a VAR for every designated game. We already know some PL refs are not quite up to the standard. Roll this out to each of the 10 PL games per weekend and you're going to need 50 top level officials. That's ten fewer to do Championship games, and so on and so on.

In total agreement. All hail the LUDDITES :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd much rather FIFA persevered with VAR but made an effort to get it working properly.

It's just astonishing that it has got this far to be used at the top of the game, and it isn't at least some way working properly. With cricket and tennis, it seemed to come out, and they seemed to have it pretty well worked out that the protocols have only needed tweaking. As I said before, cricket's policy of retaining the strength of the on-field decision seems a particular good one, although in itself still leads to its own controversies.

I predict a world cup where celebrating a goal will become a thing of the past, because 50% or more of the decisions are going to be VAR'd as the referee will check for anything as a matter of course.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
What England fan would be against VAR for the Maradona hand ball or Lampards 'goal' against Germany.None.

People only whine about it when it work's against their team.

I think 'people' also have a legitimate concern as to how it will impact with the flow of the game and the stemming of euphoria of a goal when we then have to wait 2 minutes before the two refs and the video transmission decide for or against.

Going up for a goal is to me one of the most spiritual moments of ones regular life.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Should have started with one aspect of the game at a time.

Goal line worked so well as they had so long to get it right.

Start with offsides, then only move on to penalties when that was perfected.

It’s a complete farce at the moment - We will see endless penalties in the World Cup and games ruined if it doesn’t improve.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Should have started with one aspect of the game at a time.

Goal line worked so well as they had so long to get it right.

Start with offsides, then only move on to penalties when that was perfected.

It’s a complete farce at the moment - We will see endless penalties in the World Cup and games ruined if it doesn’t improve.

Agreed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
More decisions than not are correct however those mistakes can be howlers.Then of course you have to bring linesmen into it
and the fact is often they get offsides wrong.

VARS will not solve everything. But it will fundamentally alter the structure of game as we know it. One of the worst aspects is that the spontaneous rush of celebrating a goal will often be put on hold while we wonder if VARS will be getting involved - it happened last night after Vardy scored. One second its "YYYEEESSSS", the next its "oh....hang on....the refs got his finger in his ear"

You like that being brought into the game ? Cos I think its proper shite.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not understand the critisicm of the VAR it was operated by German officials who are more experienced thzn ours in the use as they have been using it longer than us. It was very quick unlike ours and it did what it was meant to do showed up something the ref missed. The only point I would make is that VAR having interveened should make the final decision and the ref be told the decision rather than look at it again. It should be as in cricket a definitive out or not out it should be goal, no goal and free kick to defending side or penalty which ever. The same happens in Rugby the tv judge makes the ultimate decision that the on field ref follows.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Let me stop you there because this is absolute rubbish from start to finish.

I cited FOUR examples between 1986 and 2010 - 24 years, and in those 13 tournaments I think we qualified in 11. So when you say 30 odd years, you mean 24 years and over a THIRD of the times we got knocked out were down to poor refereeing decisions. That is an absolute farce. And of the four examples I cited, only ONE of them would be resolved by goal line technology as it is now.

These are facts.

I'm sorry but the game IS broken at the highest level.

We didn't get knocked out due to poor referring decisions, we got knocked out because we were largely gash. It's because fans and pundits have to constantly act like babies and blame the officials and analyse their decisions in minute detail that has led to VAR. Both Sol Campbell's goal were correctly ruled out by fouls (the one against Argentina was a blatant foul by Shearer), I can't believe these are even being disputed. The Hand of God is probably the most famous bit of cheating in football history and will be talked about forever. So it happened against England? Boo hoo. Funny how you don't mention Lineker's dubious penalties against Cameroon in 1990.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I do not understand the critisicm of the VAR it was operated by German officials who are more experienced thzn ours in the use as they have been using it longer than us. It was very quick unlike ours and it did what it was meant to do showed up something the ref missed. The only point I would make is that VAR having interveened should make the final decision and the ref be told the decision rather than look at it again. It should be as in cricket a definitive out or not out it should be goal, no goal and free kick to defending side or penalty which ever. The same happens in Rugby the tv judge makes the ultimate decision that the on field ref follows.

OK,lets be clear here. VARS has been introduced in an attempt to resolve "clear and obvious errors" - ie howlers. Huge mistakes. Blatant wrong calls.

That penalty decision was nothing of the sort. The ref initially decided not to give the penalty, and you didn't see too many complaints because it certainly wasn't a BLATANT penalty - as the subsequent debate over he incident has proved.

If we're bringing in VARS to review every marginal call like that, then fine. Every penalty shout going upstairs ? Okey doke. Tell us thats how it works. It'll WRECK the game as we know it, but if we want all the marginal calls analysed then so be it. But thats absolutely not what its supposedly been brought in for. Its only supposed to be used in order to correct clear and obvious errors.

Whether you agree it was a penalty or not, once again, the process was implemented incorrectly last night. You are opening the door to reviews of every little tap and tug. If thats what you want, well, thats where its heading. As last night proved.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We didn't get knocked out due to poor referring decisions, we got knocked out because we were largely gash. It's because fans and pundits have to constantly act like babies and blame the officials and analyse their decisions in minute detail that has led to VAR. Both Sol Campbell's goal were correctly ruled out by fouls (the one against Argentina was a blatant foul by Shearer), I can't believe these are even being disputed. The Hand of God is probably the most famous bit of cheating in football history and will be talked about forever. So it happened against England? Boo hoo. Funny how you don't mention Lineker's dubious penalties against Cameroon in 1990.

Spot on fella.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
. Both Sol Campbell's goal were correctly ruled out by fouls (the one against Argentina was a blatant foul by Shearer), I.

:lolol: I just went to youtube to re-watch it.

Blatant foul :lolol: I'm no apologist. I accept when we haven't been good enough....but that was not a blatant foul.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
OK,lets be clear here. VARS has been introduced in an attempt to resolve "clear and obvious errors" - ie howlers. Huge mistakes. Blatant wrong calls.

That penalty decision was nothing of the sort. The ref initially decided not to give the penalty, and you didn't see too many complaints because it certainly wasn't a BLATANT penalty - as the subsequent debate over he incident has proved.

If we're bringing in VARS to review every marginal call like that, then fine. Every penalty shout going upstairs ? Okey doke. Tell us thats how it works. It'll WRECK the game as we know it, but if we want all the marginal calls analysed then so be it. But thats absolutely not what its supposedly been brought in for. Its only supposed to be used in order to correct clear and obvious errors.

Whether you agree it was a penalty or not, once again, the process was implemented incorrectly last night. You are opening the door to reviews of every little tap and tug. If thats what you want, well, thats where its heading. As last night proved.

The process was implemented incorrectly but a pen was correctly given.What's the problem?
Personally I prefer my team to win fair and square.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
VARS will not solve everything. But it will fundamentally alter the structure of game as we know it. One of the worst aspects is that the spontaneous rush of celebrating a goal will often be put on hold while we wonder if VARS will be getting involved - it happened last night after Vardy scored. One second its "YYYEEESSSS", the next its "oh....hang on....the refs got his finger in his ear"

You like that being brought into the game ? Cos I think its proper shite.

Come on you know most goals are good goals and there are not many disputes.

The idea of Var is very positive.It just needs to be perfected.

As an England fan I would have thought you would be in favour of Var as you usually play against
cheating diving spics like Italy.I mean,England players never dive do they.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
:lolol: I just went to youtube to re-watch it.

Blatant foul :lolol: I'm no apologist. I accept when we haven't been good enough....but that was not a blatant foul.

Wasn't there an arm in a defender's face? Been a while since I've watched it. At the time I was dancing with joy in the street outside a St Etienne bar with about 100 other supporters, before heading back in and being confused why the game was still going on. The point is is that many England fans have a sense of injustice when we get knocked out of tournaments and always have to look for a scapegoat, when ultimately it's the failings of the players and the manager. Now it'll be the failings (or not) of VAR. In my opinion the only time we have been knocked out of a tournament due to a wrong decision was 1986, but that moment has such an iconic place in footballing history it just doesn't bother me. You could argue we were cheated against the Dutch in qualifying for 1994, but again it's such an iconic moment in our history (Taylor going mental) that the sport I love would be poorer without these controversies.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

However you try to disguise it the ref made a mistake and VAR rectified it which must benefit football in the long run.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here