Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Idiots at away games

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Police re-enactment of early stages of incident

Turn-Your-Walking-Cane-Into-a-Self-Defense-Tool-4.jpg

Jan 30, 2008
Why do away games attract the very worst of our support?

Yesterday we got to the ground at 7:40 to find a load of people already in our seats. OUR Seats. We had paid good money for them and had to stand in the aisles in what is one of the most dangerous things that can happen in a football ground.

Then when we scored the penalty, a very drunk man jumped on me and shouted "FACKING CAM ANNNNN!" in my ear. Yeah great we scored but really is there any need for this??

I went to speak to a steward at half time but they didn't want to know. What is the point in having them there?

Second half was just as bad. A constant stream of foul language from all those around, everyone standing despite me asking nicely if they wouldn't mind sitting down. I was told to **** off twice.

To top it off when Southamton scored in the second half, another man took my Dad's walking stick and threw it in frustration, meaning I had to push to the front to retrieve it.

You don't get this at the Amex, everyone sits in their seats and doesn't stand and those around me don't feel the need to use that sort of language constantly so why is it like this at away games?

I would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced similar this season as am writing to Paul Barber, Ralph Krueger at Southampton and the Head of Hampshire Police. It ruined our night out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su_8BiNu0cg
know what you mean ???
regards
DR

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sadly word for word all true and all happened to me last night.

It is something that the clubs need to look at for those travelling with elderly or children.

I would hate to have had my children subjected to the language, songs about the IRA and someone shouting YOU CAAAANT everytime we gave the ball away (Which did happen a lot)

Had there been a fire last night or need to evacuate quickly, all sorts of carnage would have occured.
A fire...in a concrete stand...next to a football pitch....

I still call bullshit. You over-egged your wind-up. Less is more when attempting to spread a bullshit story. The bit about IRA songs? Nah. The bit about arriving at 7.40? Definitely nah. If you were as dull as you claim to be you would have been in your seat at 7.15 at the latest.

All just bullshit.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Why do away games attract the very worst of our support?

Yesterday we got to the ground at 7:40 to find a load of people already in our seats. OUR Seats. We had paid good money for them and had to stand in the aisles in what is one of the most dangerous things that can happen in a football ground.

Then when we scored the penalty, a very drunk man jumped on me and shouted "FACKING CAM ANNNNN!" in my ear. Yeah great we scored but really is there any need for this??

I went to speak to a steward at half time but they didn't want to know. What is the point in having them there?

Second half was just as bad. A constant stream of foul language from all those around, everyone standing despite me asking nicely if they wouldn't mind sitting down. I was told to **** off twice.

To top it off when Southamton scored in the second half, another man took my Dad's walking stick and threw it in frustration, meaning I had to push to the front to retrieve it.

You don't get this at the Amex, everyone sits in their seats and doesn't stand and those around me don't feel the need to use that sort of language constantly so why is it like this at away games?

I would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced similar this season as am writing to Paul Barber, Ralph Krueger at Southampton and the Head of Hampshire Police. It ruined our night out

That's the funniest post I've read on NSC EVER:moo:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

Feb 2017...

If any one is genuinely upset or cross about the club putting in a small price increase, then they can **** right off. Everything bloom has put in and people bitch about a small increase coming after he froze it last season despite improving the squad. ****ing **** me. We have some seriously misguided ***** as fans.

Yep, I'm calling bullshit! :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I know I'll get flamed for this - and I attend plenty of away games - but we always try to sit in our own seat unless we haven't sold out. Frankly, when matches are sold out people who don't sit in their own seats just cause problems - not such an issue in previous seasons when there has been plenty of space. I do get the impression that most people do sit in their own seats but there is a vocal minority - maybe 20% who don't. I've no idea if the OP is fishing but the volume of people standing in the aisles from top to bottom last night was one of the worst I've come across and was frankly pretty dangerous.

Quite. I used to go to a lot of away games. At Barnet away in the late 90s I was made to use my numbered seat by a steward. Someone was in it. So he fannied around playing 'people rubic cube' for ten minutes. The rules are not always clear and differ from place to place. I personally would like to have a nice middle class seat but that's because I'm old and have a bad back. That said, unless this was the OP's first ever away game, I smell bullshit. Or Marmite. Probably Marmite.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The OP is obviously a story to be read with several handfuls of sodium carbonate but the overall point that either is meant in jest or seriously that last nights stewarding was terrible is correct.
There was severe overcrowding in certain areas, sightline issues, standing in aisles throughout so no access, and the idea of sitting in correct seats had long vanished before i turned up (late).
Some might say suck that up - all away games are like that. Actually i'm not sure i've been to an away game (Fulham to QPR to Hudds to Man U to West Brom to Forest etc) for years where it was like this.

Chloride. It's chloride :facepalm::lolol:

And don't ever offer to run me a hot bath.....

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
OP getting a lot of stick for what we all know at heart is a very valid point. Football is not just a single man's sport and nor should it be. If I went to an Albion away game by myself or with my dad, I wouldn't mind too much not having the seat I was allocated. Yet if I were to attend with my wife, or one day in the future with my children, and was subjected to either refusal or abuse, I'd feel very differently and if we're being honest, we all know we would. It's all very well for one person to have to find a seat, it's very different if it's a family of 4-5 who have paid good money like everyone else. The same people making sarcastic comments towards the OP are probably the very same people who denounced, amongst other things, the 100-200 Palace Ultras who stormed to the front of the South Stand to set up their little den. Palace fans that night were criticising them for doing that.

And whilst swearing is part and parcel of football, I remember being at the home game against Brentford last season and being subjected to a couple of 17 year olds yelling the c word at our own players in the North Stand. It made my blood boil and I regret not having a word with the stewards. If you watch the Cov/MK Dons highlights, the average age of those who stormed the pitch after their goal was about 16 years of age. Do we really want to find ourselves justifying the actions of antisocial fans who could bring the club into disrepute, if, as I suspect, a lot of the antisocial problems at Albion games are from teenagers?

I wonder if we were allowed to select the specific seats for away games, like you can for a home game, whether this would help solve the issue. It would obviously mean those with higher loyalty points would get the cream of the crop/their choice, and thus core Albion supporters would have more of a vested interest in sitting/standing by the seat number on their ticket?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here