Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] WC: Tunisia v England

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
What, Tunisia was a difficult game? They were very ordinary and should have been beaten by 3 or 4. Wait until we play Belgium.
His pace means he fits into the City style. The world class players that surround him means that he can feed off all the four yard tap ins that their brilliant approach play creates. He is carried through games by the work of others and the amount of mistakes he makes are largely forgotten as they sweep nearly everybody aside. He is under far less pressure at club level. He cannot cope with the scrutiny at international level. He is exposed for what he is. A luxury player, who can run at people but lacks the quality to create and finish.
He gets games for England because we literally have no one else to play that role. He is there by default.

Think you've hit the nail on the head with Sterling.

He is great in a City team where he doesn't have to think too much about his football. He can rely on his pace and skill whilst being surrounded by the likes of De Bruyne and Silva who are exceptional because they think their way through games as well as having exceptional ability.

International football finds him out because he has to make decisions and take responsibilities he doesn't have to at club level.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
What, Tunisia was a difficult game? They were very ordinary and should have been beaten by 3 or 4. Wait until we play Belgium.

Like most football teams, even Brighton, I think we will fare better against a side that actually want to play football. Yes, Belgium looked very good yesterday and I'm not saying we'll beat them, but it will 100% be a better game than last night.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Loftus-cheek and Rashford both looked more effective in their 20mins than Stirling had in the previous 70mins. It's a world cup, you need players who can adapt, read the game situation, know what is required and not have a 'wrong' game.

Stirling went into slow the game down mode when it was obvious we needed our front players to penetrate and speed things up. Exactly what the 2 substitutes did as soon as they came on.

This totally - perhaps Southgate should consider starting Rashford, bringing Sterling on when defenders are tiring and there is a nit more space around. And he should certainly have introduced Loftus-Cheek much earlier last night.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
England won by a '' country mile '' last night. The scoreline didn't reflect it but they absolutely battered Tunisia last night. It should have been about 7 - 1

That said. It was Tunisia who hardly even got across the half way line in the 2nd half. Their goal was a slightly suspect penalty but it was a penalty and the defence will be tested a lot more when they get to the knock out rounds. I hope they don't get Colombia in the last 16 because they will be better suited to playing Poland and I have a bet on Colombia to win the whole thing.

All in all I think it was an excellent start but it has to be kept in perspective due to the opposition who were '' bang average '' football team for a side at the World Cup. The England Keeper should fill everyone with dread on ''cross balls' because he is hopeless on them but you have to give Harry Kane so much respect, he just knows where he needs to be to get goals and that for sure is the biggest plus point from last night.

Finally to the bloke who threw his bottle of beer in the air in the pub which came crashing down on my head when England scored - Your a f#cking c#nt !

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Really surprised last night how poor Tunisia were, so negative for a side that were supposed to be one of the best in Africa and ranked 21st in the world. As for England, encouraged but not getting carried away we've been here before

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Really surprised last night how poor Tunisia were, so negative for a side that were supposed to be one of the best in Africa and ranked 21st in the world. As for England, encouraged but not getting carried away we've been here before

First group game win at a major tournament...I can't remember being here before...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yes, we battered them and yes, we were denied two stonewall penalties. But in the end, we scored from two corners, the second one only because Tunisia defended it like the Albion at Huddersfield and West Brom. For all the debates about which speedy wide men and clever midfield players to pick (if we had any), it all came down to set plays, as so many games do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Rashford, Loftus Cheek and James Milner to start the next match.

Drop Sterling, Ashley Young and Alli

Or alternatively keep the WINNING team together, and game manage the 90 minute match well.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
You do realise that Tunisia are 1 place behind us in the world ranking, recently came back from 2-0 against Portugal and held Spain until the 84th minute. I think your views on Tunisia are a bit outdated. They are the best team in Africa at the moment.

glad somebody had sense to put this on,beat me to it

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Summed up towards the end of the game. England were awarded a free kick near the touch line. Tunisia player stood no more than three yards from the ball. The England players protested, repeatedly, and the ref did sweet FA.

As an ex ref hate moaning about officials,very very hard job to do. However will make an exception here,worst ref I have ever seen

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here