Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong being abused all game.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Lesson no.1.

Never read comments on controversial subjects on Twatter, BBC, Argus, even the broadsheets. Unless you're thick skinned or can see the ludicrousness of it all.

They attract the dregs of society, the haters, the trolls, the bigoted. Not necessary right wing, it can also be the opposite end of the spectrum. People who wish violent ill of distant others, entire races, all the people of a city.

The comments give a completely false impression of a spiteful, miserable world.

Some years ago I was at an lunch event in Brighton where the guest speaker was an inspirational polar explorer, an inherently positive person. He explained how he'd altered his website from one where comments could be left, to a 1-way blog, to cut out the pointless haters.

I guess my worry is, unless we do read and respond, who is helping give balance to what people on Twitter are reading and writing.

Social media can be a force for good, but boy is it full on dangerous sh1t. Which is why the goings on at Cambridge Analytica are so worrying.

Can we have a poll?

Would you rather:
A) live in a world with social media, and keep NSC
B) live in a world without social media, and lose NSC

There are days when I’d answer B, but more when I’d answer A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think your insinuations are particularly helpful. In fact they could be construed as xenophobic. Reading the last few pages of this thread it seems there is a bit of a risk of some BHA fans losing the moral high ground. Brighton is not a better place than Burnley or Spain and statistics should not be used to conclude anything about any individual and that includes Jay Rodriguez.

He has a point. I know Romanians and Italians in Brighton and Hove, who openly can't stand black people. I can't remember ever meeting a Brightonian or anyone else who openly said the same.

Racism is rife in certain nations on the continent.

When African immigants have been interviewed making their way to the UK before, and are asked why the UK .... it's always the same answer. Tolorance in the UK.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I guess my worry is, unless we do read and respond, who is helping give balance to what people on Twitter are reading and writing.

Social media can be a force for good, but boy is it full on dangerous sh1t. Which is why the goings on at Cambridge Analytica are so worrying.

Can we have a poll?

Would you rather:
A) live in a world with social media, and keep NSC
B) live in a world without social media, and lose NSC

There are days when I’d answer B, but more when I’d answer A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The people responding to the haters have my admiration.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
[tweet]990981169155051520[/tweet]

[tweet]990980476088307713[/tweet]

[tweet]990972124507656193[/tweet]

[tweet]990966786051985408[/tweet]

Sigh.

NSCers in Twitter need to try and educate here - the first moron has zero replies! I note the homophonic one has been removed swiftly....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
NSCers in Twitter need to try and educate here - the first moron has zero replies! I note the homophonic one has been removed swiftly....

If I see openly racist or homophobic tweets on Twitter, I report them. Twitter is good at disabling accounts, or making the user delete offensive ones

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which is the reason I have blocked a small but increasing number of dishonest clowns on here, especially the 'whatabouters' who seem to be on a permanent crusade to get me to not vote labour, not criticise racists, not critcise the conservatives, to admire Trump, and to bend to their will on account of 'whatabout' the 'fact' that (whatever utter claptrap it is they decide to offer as a 'reasoned' rebuttal). There is no need to engage with every clown on the block.

And, to be fair, it seems to be a bit pointless getting outraged by the defence of the battle of Bong by anonymous racists. It is what (some of them) do. I'm surprised they haven't enlisted the assistance of Katie Hopkins: "Disgraceful Bonk's racist anti-white gestures while playing for West Bromwich this weekend' :sick::annoyed:

Great post.

I would add that also out there are countless spiteful left wing / anarchist haters; who won't listen to anyone else's view, want to harm people, damage stuff and lie to their back teeth.

Always take a step back to make sure one doesn't get sucked in and wound up by the Hopkins's / Burnley's of this world. It's what they want. Rise above their sad lives.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Which is the reason I have blocked a small but increasing number of dishonest clowns on here, especially the 'whatabouters' who seem to be on a permanent crusade to get me to not vote labour, not criticise racists, not critcise the conservatives, to admire Trump, and to bend to their will on account of 'whatabout' the 'fact' that (whatever utter claptrap it is they decide to offer as a 'reasoned' rebuttal). There is no need to engage with every clown on the block.

And, to be fair, it seems to be a bit pointless getting outraged by the defence of the battle of Bong by anonymous racists. It is what (some of them) do. I'm surprised they haven't enlisted the assistance of Katie Hopkins: "Disgraceful Bonk's racist anti-white gestures while playing for West Bromwich this weekend' :sick::annoyed:

Banning multiple people because of things said on an internet forum and then telling the rest of us what you have done ? Your call but maybe you need to unwind a bit eh and not take things so seriously or people you disagree with ? You lost an argument with Looney a while back and then banned him for it?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If you want to be horrified (no exaggeration) read the @lancashiretelegraph article. It makes the Argus comments look like innocent toddlers.
I do sometimes find with the internet that sometimes it is worth not checking on how Schrodinger's Cat is getting on in it's box.

Like with the BBS, if I don't read it, the pixels won't make the resulting pattern on my screen and the 'musings' won't exist to me.

I'll leave this kitten unobserved.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I do sometimes find with the internet that sometimes it is worth not checking on how Schrodinger's Cat is getting on in it's box.

Like with the BBS, if I don't read it, the pixels won't make the resulting pattern on my screen and the 'musings' won't exist to me.

I'll leave this kitten unobserved.

This is very much my take on it

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Admittedly I was only watching on TV, but it definitely sounded as though he received some booing at Palace, and someone else also mentioned it on here a day or two afterwards.

He was initially but it tailed off. The goals going in , left , right and centre must have distracted the small selhurst minority who thought this was worthwhile.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You asked.for an explicit reply, you got one , and thats the best you can come back with ? I think that the answer i gave goes a very long way to explaining why they are.like they are , and you have no experience of this to formulate an informed answer , they deny theyre racists because as this thread proves, certain elements of.society have it.on a par with child molesting.

Failing to grasp the facts of the Bong case.

Many working class white people in northern towns, can't stand the Asian background folk around them. Agree that the issues are complex.

But WTF has that got to do with a Cameroonian international player, on a work permit, claiming he was racially abused?

You've repeatedly raised the we would need to be in these places to understand rationale. So, what is the justifiable link between white-asian problems in Burnley, and the hatred towards Bong?

Wrong about the law by the way. Paedo's get long prison sentences, racists don't.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Burnley were embarrassing tbf.

FB_IMG_1525116159854.jpg

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Banning multiple people because of things said on an internet forum and then telling the rest of us what you have done ? Your call but maybe you need to unwind a bit eh and not take things so seriously or people you disagree with ? You lost an argument with Looney a while back and then banned him for it?

How did he ban him? Did he become HiTony but with a dick all of a sudden?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
He has a point. I know Romanians and Italians in Brighton and Hove, who openly can't stand black people. I can't remember ever meeting a Brightonian or anyone else who openly said the same.

Racism is rife in certain nations on the continent.

When African immigants have been interviewed making their way to the UK before, and are asked why the UK .... it's always the same answer. Tolorance in the UK.

We are probably digressing but I don't think he does have a point. It doesn't matter how many people you meet who have a certain view, it does not justify stereotyping someone else of the same background. The treatment of Gaetan on Saturday was reprehensible but responding with insults about Burnley (or anywhere else) as many Brighton fans have done on this thread is rather ignorant. I will re-iterate comments I made earlier; we had a great time in Burnley, spoke to some nice people (locals) in an excellent pub and enjoyed the game. The North is not some sort of backwater as many Southerners like to claim.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here