Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong being abused all game.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
You're either trying (and failing) to be clever or you're seriously in denial.

This thread keeps repeating how Burnley and it’s fans are stuck in the 70s, well let’s put it to the test.

During yesterday’s match did Bong receive “racist abuse” as other black players did in the 70s?

A simple yes or no will suffice.

Now, if you want to make the point that “racist abuse” in 2018 is now booing a player that is disliked (for whatever reason, justified or not), then so be it, but then again it’s not the same as the 70s is it?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
This thread keeps repeating how Burnley and it’s fans are stuck in the 70s, well let’s put it to the test.

During yesterday’s match did Bong receive “racist abuse” as other black players did in the 70s?

A simple yes or no will suffice.

Now, if you want to make the point that “racist abuse” in 2018 is now booing a player that is disliked (for whatever reason, justified or not), then so be it, but then again it’s not the same as the 70s is it?

But your question isn't valid in my opinion. I'm not talking about the 1970s, that's history now and is largely irrelevant to this situation. I'll indulge you though, no, it was not abuse of the same kind as some of the abuse of that era (monkey chants, bananas etc), but to claim there was no racist undertone or motivation from at least some, if not the majority, of those joining in is naive in the extreme. Burnley as a club and as a town have a very nasty element of small-minded bigots and racists, and experience has shown many who've been there that they have a bigger problem in that regard than most modern day clubs. That's why I wasn't surprised like Chris, I would have been surprised if they hadn't jumped at the chance to boo a black player. In some ways it's even more insidious than the 70s racism you mention as the perpetrators are hiding behind a lie. This is further proven by the same fans chanting homophobic abuse, as it seems this is still seen as somehow more acceptable up there in their little backwater.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This thread keeps repeating how Burnley and it’s fans are stuck in the 70s

Because it's not just booing one player you donut. There's homophobic abuse both in massed chants and individually to and from the ground. It's also one of the few grounds left in the country where I wouldn't take my 11 year old son. Nevertheless...

During yesterday’s match did Bong receive “racist abuse”

Yes

as other black players did in the 70s?

Not every black player gets booed or gets bananas thrown at them in every game nowadays but booing a black player because of his involvement in calling out racism is a MASSIVE throwback. You seem to be saying that racism to a slightly less - and more sneaky - degree, is acceptable. Is it? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm not sure how we can get our own back, but you are right, Unproven and Cleared are two different things. It doesn't help when Rodriguez himself said 'The truth came out'. What truth, Jay?

We’ll get our own back playing them at home next season - everyone will be up for giving them as much stock as possible :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What a load of disingenuous crap this is. Your defender claimed something which it transpired he didn’t say. We can all agree in this day and age it’s better Bong complained than didn’t. You then sang ‘town full of racists’ and assumed Burnley wouldn’t react. Our club is full of snowflakes. Apparently so is yours.

You sum up everything your club stands for. Clueless & classless.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The Kick it Out campaign people should be right behind Chris Hughton and Gaetan Bong, backing them, but they're too busy designing their t shirts and banners.
Unfit for purpose.

Sadly this rather sums "Kick It Out" up and why a number of players have been so unhappy with them. They don't tackle the difficult issues, they just go for an easy bit of headline grabbing with a t-shirt of a wristband, something where you effectively change absolutely NOTHING.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Because it's not just booing one player you donut. There's homophobic abuse both in massed chants and individually to and from the ground. It's also one of the few grounds left in the country where I wouldn't take my 11 year old son. Nevertheless...

Yes

Not every black player gets booed or gets bananas thrown at them in every game nowadays but booing a black player because of his involvement in calling out racism is a MASSIVE throwback. You seem to be saying that racism to a slightly less - and more sneaky - degree, is acceptable. Is it? A simple yes or no will suffice.

I was pleased to see quite a few young kids/families in the away end yesterday. The pre match pub was excellent and most people very friendly.The minority of loud mouthed bigots are easily ignored. I reckon you would be fine with your 11 year old away at Burnley. Definitely one of my favourite aways this season.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
There is so much to admire about Burnley FC what they have achieved this season has been magnificent. The regular Burnley contributors to this forum are imo some of the best away posters on this site. For me it makes what happened yesterday even more sad. The behaviour of the booing Burnley fans was a disgrace and I am delighted that Hughton called it out and that Gaetan conducted himself with such dignity and composure on the day.

That behaviour was as disgusting as it was unsurprising which should surely give Burnley pause for thought about their fans conduct. The booing and subsequent display of homophobia should not go unremarked upon Burnley. As Chris said, shameful.

I totally agree with all this.
I posted earlier, but would like to add that the Burnley posters on here are good.
Strangely I even like the traditional mill towns of Lancashire including Burnley, I like the history of them, the old school Lancastrians are ok too.
But I stand by everything else to do with the decline of these places and the vermin that now inhabits them.
I think that if Bong was white, this would not have happened yesterday or at least not on the scale that it did.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I don’t know why some people are surprised as every time I have been to Burnley, and this must be the sixth or seventh time, their fans have shown themselves to be ignorant unpleasant homophobes.

It is my least favourite away game and I can’t wait to get out of the dump.

I think I would actually rather they got relegated than Palace.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
What a revolting expression and who said anything about single handedly? Idiot. And a disrespectful one at that.
Sorry for the offence my love but you implied that without AtS there wouldn't be a club which is utter bollox.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Yes

Which team does cunning fergus support?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Yes

You think Burnley are unique in still rolling out homophobic abuse at BHA fans........jeez you don’t venture on here much do you? The homophobic outrage on here post game is a predictable as night following day, but that’s another matter.

No, Bong got booed, if he got the kind of racist abuse that was dished out in the 70s 80s and even 90s as per the last game at the Goldstone then the wet panters like your on here would have a point.

It’s not a MASSIVE throwback, that is just hyperbole, and there is the rub, most posts on the matter lack any sense of proportionality. No one on here knows if Rodrigues is a) a grade 1 racist, b) deeply unpleasant, c) just plain stupid, or d) all 3 of the above. But that doesn’t matter on here he’s definitely a racist.

That’s the thing isn’t it........without unequivocal evidence all you have is opinions.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
But your question isn't valid in my opinion. I'm not talking about the 1970s, that's history now and is largely irrelevant to this situation. I'll indulge you though, no, it was not abuse of the same kind as some of the abuse of that era (monkey chants, bananas etc), but to claim there was no racist undertone or motivation from at least some, if not the majority, of those joining in is naive in the extreme. Burnley as a club and as a town have a very nasty element of small-minded bigots and racists, and experience has shown many who've been there that they have a bigger problem in that regard than most modern day clubs. That's why I wasn't surprised like Chris, I would have been surprised if they hadn't jumped at the chance to boo a black player. In some ways it's even more insidious than the 70s racism you mention as the perpetrators are hiding behind a lie. This is further proven by the same fans chanting homophobic abuse, as it seems this is still seen as somehow more acceptable up there in their little backwater.

It’s funny isn’t it, do you have any sense at all of how bigoted your assessment is here?

Not to mention your considered view that in terms of racist abuse the 70s were better than now because it was all out in the open.

Jeez, you just love threads like this don’t you?

el punal

I was pleased to see quite a few young kids/families in the away end yesterday. The pre match pub was excellent and most people very friendly.The minority of loud mouthed bigots are easily ignored. I reckon you would be fine with your 11 year old away at Burnley. Definitely one of my favourite aways this season.

As this was my first visit to Burnley I was, having read numerous articles and opinions about their “insularity”, feeling a bit cagey about my day out. Individually, the Burnley fans I met and chatted to were great, both outside the ground and on the train back to Preston. The only time there was any animosity was some tw*t shooting his mouth off, en route to the ground, about f***ing Southern wankers being in town - bless him!

In the ground, however, I could sense the hostility to us the fans, the team, and definitely to Bong. The booing of Bong I found very strange as the circumstances involved in the incident surely only related to ourselves (as a club), West Brom and Jay Rodriguez. The fact that Rodriguez used to play for Burnley was a very tenuous reason to abuse Bong. How strange. Perhaps those involved in the abuse should leave Burnley for a while and see a bit of the outside world. I’m sure it would make them more tolerant and less blinkered about life in general.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
It’s funny isn’t it, do you have any sense at all of how bigoted your assessment is here?

Not to mention your considered view that in terms of racist abuse the 70s were better than now because it was all out in the open.

Jeez, you just love threads like this don’t you?

Nice spin!

This from a Burnley resident and supporter friend (but as you seem to know better, feel free to ignore)....

"Yeah, really awful to see. There has always been a really nasty section of our fan base, it was an area where the BNP were able to make quite a foothold not too long ago. I've not come across racism in the stands for a while though. Hope the club make some sort of statement about it."

As for your rather childish dig about loving these kind of threads, the very same could be said for you.

Last edited:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

It’s not a MASSIVE throwback, that is just hyperbole, and there is the rub, most posts on the matter lack any sense of proportionality. No one on here knows if Rodrigues is a) a grade 1 racist, b) deeply unpleasant, c) just plain stupid, or d) all 3 of the above. But that doesn’t matter on here he’s definitely a racist.

That’s the thing isn’t it........without unequivocal evidence all you have is opinions.

So by your own admission Rodrigues is at best ‘plain stupid’, which apparently is justification for boing bong for 90 minutes.when you look at it like that then it is pretty contemptible behaviour is it not?

Rodrigues covered his mouth so he couldn’t be lip read, which you would only do if you were going to say something very unpleasant. But apparently that’s alright as its bongs fault entirely and Rodrigues is clearly the victim. Well that appears to be the view of a MINORITY of Burnley fans who clearly believe bong is a lying git. I suspect that some joined in not because bong is black but because they are sheep, doesn’t make it right but in the cold light of day many will be embarrassed buy the whole thing.

You are trying to defend the indefensible. My advice is don’t.

I suspect that this will run and run as in today’s climate it is very much an issue.

FWIW, racial abuse of black players was the norm In the1970’s, today it is not so incidents like this are very much in the publics eye.

I prefer to think that in the heat of the moment Rodrigues got carried away and said something more to annoy bong than in a racial manner. My only problem with this is that he covered his mouth which is a premeditated act.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here