Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ESU and WSU open for Coventry game

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Quick question, does anyone know if they are going to open either ESU or WSU?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This really is a nonsense isn't it. Why not open just one upper tier and see what happens.

The cost of opening one upper tier can't be more than 20 stewards say, paid pretty lowly, but being generous £15 an hour. So £300 per hour x say six hours. That's £1800. Plus catering, but presumably that more than pays for itself? I'm sure there are other costs, but in the ground scheme of things it can't be a vast sum to open up one upper tier. Even if it is £30k what is the issue?

Therefore presumably there is another reason, maybe they conceive that it will be a better atmosphere to pack everyone into the lower tiers. They are probably right, but if the only seats left now are corners, and close to away fans they just won't sell easily.
Whereas prime East Upper or West Upper really would.

So just get on and open them you fools!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Could be another 2-3,000 out there, all waiting for the possibility of an Upper Tier. ( 4 in my group ) Cannot see any decision from the club until Monday at the earliest. Between now and then, a fair few of those 700 will go. Some fans will just not be prepared to take the risk and will commit and you can bet that a few ' exiled Cov ' fans will slip through the net as well. If they can take nearly 10,000 to Stadium MK, there will be more than 4,500 trying to see this game.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Maybe they're just happy with a crowd of 22.5k............the extra revenue opening the upper tiers (after costs) is probably insignificant. Real shame though, wonder how close this would come to selling out if the whole ground was open. Massive difference than the last round given not on TV, not a stupid time and with a full away allocation being sold (and could have been increased too increasing the chances of a capacity crowd)
Extra profit from a full house would have been around £100K. Could have covered the wages of Lewis Dunk for another ten training sessions or so...

Agreed that from the word go they have not been that bothered about maximising the crowd for this match. Seems strange but has kept us occupied.

I'm just worried about [MENTION=21875]worthingseagull[/MENTION] now.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Maybe the club want all the Coventry fans trying to get home end tickets through mates to be only able to get them in the blocks by the segregation for now ?

Perhaps the strategy is to give them a day to do this, then open an upper tier ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Still about 650 left........sales slowed right down now ?

As they will. How many people would, as their first choice, select a seat in the corner of a football ground?

Beyond this game, the club are very probably affecting sales of future games like this. I think we will get to the position where an upper tier, likely the ESU, opens. How many people who did buy a seat in a position they don't really want will do the same next time?

I'd be "**** that - the upper tier will open eventually - I'll wait for that" - and the standoff becomes more pronounced next time this happens.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Such a strange approach from the club. I understand waiting but surely they now know one upper stand will need to be opened so why not just get on with it?

Not so sure it will - with 650 seats left, and sales having been opened up to everyone they are going to be, not sure a lot more will shift unless there are vast numbers waiting..........in which case it's a bit of a catch 22 situation and will result in a load of last-minute sales next week as those waiting realise an upper isn't going to be opened. The club really need to sort this out, either by opening an upper tier now, or stating they're not going to full stop.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The Emirates FA Cup
Season 2017-18
Payments made from The FA's prize fund

Extra preliminary round winners (185) £1,500
Preliminary round winners (160) £1,925
First round qualifying winners (116) £3,000
Second Round Qualifying winners (80) £4,500
Third Round Qualifying winners (40) £7,500
Fourth Round Qualifying winners (32) £12,500
First Round Proper winners (40) £18,000
Second Round Proper winners (20) £27,000
Third Round Proper winners (32) £67,500
Fourth Round Proper winners (16) £90,000
Fifth Round Proper winners (8) £180,000
Quarter-Final winners (4) £360,000
Semi-Final winners (2) £900,000
Semi-Final losers (2) £450,000
Final runners-up (1) £900,000
Final winners (1) £1,800,000

TV Dosh

Television Fee For Every Live Match Broadcasted
ROUNDS LIVE LIVE REPLAY
FA Cup – Round 1 £67,500 £33,750
FA Cup – Round 2 £72,000 £36,000
FA Cup – Round 3 £144,000 £72,000
FA Cup – Round 4 £144,000 £72,000
FA Cup – Round 5 £247,500 £123,750
FA Cup – Round 6 £247,500 £123,750

Is it worth it to premiere league clubs ? The club seem to be treating it as the black plague .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here