Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread - 2017

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The new Arcade Fire album, Everything Now, was finally released today.

The incessant hype, and the bombardment of tasters that I received (and didn't listen to - I like to listen to the whole album) meant that I was expecting to be disappointed by the album when I finally heard it. It was all so over the top.

But I've listened to it three times now, on a loop. I'm not disappointed. Some reviews were not so positive, but it has hit the spot with me. Again.

One of few bands whose output is continually, repeatedly brilliant, in my view.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've been listening to the new Arcade Fire album also. Talk about mixing the 80s styles. The first track (Everything Now) has some glorious Abba-esque pianos together with a sort of Simple Minds sound to it that's quite fantastic. The next track (Signs of Life) sees them taking inspiration from Talking Heads, the next (Creature Comfort) PiL, the next (Peter Pan) OMD then a step back by a decade for the following song to Beatles 'Come Together' meets David Essex 'Rock On'....and so on. It's certainly a lot of fun to listen to and my favourite track is Electric Blue.Yeah, I like this album a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UymXRxJPOQo

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There is something slightly pompous about Arcade Fire that occasionally grates. But my word they've written a lot of great songs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is something slightly pompous about Arcade Fire that occasionally grates. But my word they've written a lot of great songs.

Possibly, but I like a bit of pomposity from time to time. And you are correct with your last sentence. I've yet to listen to the new album but their first four albums are riddled with brilliant songs in very diverse styles.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been listening to the new Arcade Fire album also. Talk about mixing the 80s styles. The first track (Everything Now) has some glorious Abba-esque pianos together with a sort of Simple Minds sound to it that's quite fantastic. The next track (Signs of Life) sees them taking inspiration from Talking Heads, the next (Creature Comfort) PiL, the next (Peter Pan) OMD then a step back by a decade for the following song to Beatles 'Come Together' meets David Essex 'Rock On'....and so on. It's certainly a lot of fun to listen to and my favourite track is Electric Blue.Yeah, I like this album a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UymXRxJPOQo

I encourage you to listen to Win Butlers Brits acceptance speech from a few years back. He first stated the value of receiving an award from Britain and then explained why by listed all the British bands he's been influenced by. I read a lot of his interviews and he often bangs on about his respect for British music and specifically the 80s. When I saw them in London last he dragged Ian McCullogh up to cover The Cutter. This part explains some of the sounds you reference above.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Picking up the 'Night' version of the LP soon.

Ha. And just to back up my post above this is a clear nod to Duran Duran.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I encourage you to listen to Win Butlers Brits acceptance speech from a few years back. He first stated the value of receiving an award from Britain and then explained why by listed all the British bands he's been influenced by. I read a lot of his interviews and he often bangs on about his respect for British music and specifically the 80s. When I saw them in London last he dragged Ian McCullogh up to cover The Cutter. This part explains some of the sounds you reference above.

Remember being in Rounder Records many years ago (well, it must've been 2004) and hearing this great music that sounded vaguely Bowie-ish, or Talking Heads-ish. Then I saw the front cover of Funeral. And I just knew I'd love it, and bought it there and then.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Cheers. Now you come to mention it I can recognise Echo and the Bunnymen influences too.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
If you've heard it, any thoughts?

I have the album and saw them play a lunch time concert in a church during the Brighton festival. I find them a bit of a mixed bag. Think weather report-ish mixed with ECM Scandinavian jazz sound. There are some interesting musical ideas from a young group of musicians and certainly worth keeping tabs in but similarly to [MENTION=357]afters[/MENTION], nothing that great yet and surprised they've been s/listed.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
The new Arcade Fire album, Everything Now, was finally released today.

The incessant hype, and the bombardment of tasters that I received (and didn't listen to - I like to listen to the whole album) meant that I was expecting to be disappointed by the album when I finally heard it. It was all so over the top.

But I've listened to it three times now, on a loop. I'm not disappointed. Some reviews were not so positive, but it has hit the spot with me. Again.

One of few bands whose output is continually, repeatedly brilliant, in my view.

Got to agree. Love the cod reggae ones. Peter Pan has something of Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill about it.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
The band doing it for me are Desperate Journalist. Album called Grow Up. It's their second album. First self-titled equally good. Imagine a holy alliance between Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Cure and the Smiths. And the songs are flawlessly tight. Not a wasted note.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
The band doing it for me are Desperate Journalist. Album called Grow Up. It's their second album. First self-titled equally good. Imagine a holy alliance between Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Cure and the Smiths. And the songs are flawlessly tight. Not a wasted note.

Great sounding band , but let down imho by the singers voice , just doesn't sound strong enough to me .

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
My latest mix can be heard here:

https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-30/

Tracklist:
1. Laibach - VOR SONNEN-AUFGANG
2. Lost Horizons - Frenzy, fear
3. Purity Ring - Asido
4. I Speak Machine - Shame
5. Domenique Dumont - +371
6. Cody & Danz - Living with reality
7. Las Robertas - Not enough
8. Myrkur - Maneblot
9. Swarvy - Circles
10. Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - An intention
11. F Ingers - All rolled up
12. Patience - White of an eye
13. Shackleton with Anika - Hinter der vitrine

Playing time: 60 minutes

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
When I heard that Peter Perrett was releasing new material (How the West was Won) I was stunned. It's incredible that he's even alive after the abuse that he has inflicted on his body over 30+ years.

I didn't listen at first, I expected the new album to be crap. But curiosity got the better of me.

What a beautiful album. Superb lyrically, great guitar, and that laid back South London drawl that is unmistakably him. Hugely recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlGEO2v8xH8

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
New album by Warm Digits - 'Wireless World'

They are a two-piece electronic act from Newcastle who don't often get involved in singing their own tunes, when they aren't doing Depeche Mode/Kraftwerk inspired instrumentals they prefer to play alongside guest-appearing female singers, including here Sarah Cracknell. The overall effect makes it sound like an undiscovered best ever Ladytron album. Absolutely love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Z8NA0oBZs

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Black Grape - 'Pop Voodoo'

I think [MENTION=314]Arthur[/MENTION] and others need to hear this if they haven't already. In my humble opinion, it's just about the best music Shaun Ryder has ever made. Unlike a lot of other musicians, peace of mind has given Ryder a new lease of life and the latest Black Grape album is as a result quite stunning.

It starts off funky, very funky - harking back to Big Beat era dance music of the 90s and it's so good to hear Ryder singing with a smile on his face once again. The funk doesn't stop until track 4 when they venture into more familiar Black Grape territory with Whiskey, Wine and Ham but then wait until you hear Money Burns. Fan-bloody-tastic. It's like A Guy Called Gerald has been asked to reimagine Hallelujah or Big Day in the North into something so soulful that it wouldn't look out of place alongside an Isaac Hayes track. Can't get enough of this album and this particular track. Sadly I can't find a stream of this but here's the first track from the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-83NBlJ7dc

Have I mentioned 'funky'? Give String Theory a listen too and tell me that Shaun Ryder hasn't still got the wow factor.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Bit late to the party but this is an incredible album. The opener is so sinister sounding, I love it. Reminds me of Garbage in a way.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here