Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton sign Harper

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
BBC (and ITV Sport and a wealth of other accounts have all done this in covering this. Its a story and thats their angle). Given that he is a striker and he's been at Real Madrid for 6 years then you'd hardly expect journalists to describe him otherwise let alone the club when announcing the transfer.

[tweet]624161749474918400[/tweet]

I'd expect ITV and the media in general to give it the hype headlines. Just the name "Real Madrid" and everyone starts creaming.

But he's not a Real Madrid striker, never has been. He's a long, long, long way from ever having achieved that billing, and I don't think the club are doing him any favours in touting him as one. He's a young prospect who's only ever been playing in their C team - and they play in the FOURTH tier of Spanish football. That's 2 levels below where Colunga plied most of his trade.

The hype machine is already in overdrive though, and once that's starts theres no stopping it. As a totally unproven youngster, he's now going to have to be something AMAZING to live up to peoples expectations. And we've all seen how that turns out most of the time.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The sheer hype surrounding this kid is getting ridiculous. He's a very decent prospect, but at this stage of his fledgling career that's ALL he is, he's proved nothing yet. I'll be thrilled if he turns out to be half as good as what some people seem to already think he is (based on what I'm not quite sure). Just give this young lad some time to adjust, he's never even had a sniff of 1st team football yet. The Championship will be a huge step up to any game he's played in so far.

To be fair, I'm not sure that there is that much hype. Lots of people are excited at having acquired a player from Real's youth team (which I reckon makes it not completely disingenuous to label him a 'Real Madrid Striker' by the way) but there aren't that many wild quotes like the one you quoted there.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I agree with a lot of what you have said. But whether the lad turns out to be any good is purely down to the player himself. He cant control football headlines, but what he can control is his commitment to improving. If rumours of Liverpool/Man Utd interest are true, then the fact that he has come here suggests that he wants to break into a teams 1st team, rather than the easy option of signing for those two giants and being a squad player.

Real Madrid must have seen something in him. Its down to the Albion to unlock that/benefit from it. I think this is a very good signing.

I'd expect ITV and the media in general to give it the hype headlines. Just the name "Real Madrid" and everyone starts creaming.

But he's not a Real Madrid striker, never has been. He's a long, long, long way from ever having achieved that billing, and I don't think the club are doing him any favours in touting him as one. He's a young prospect who's only ever been playing in their C team - and they play in the FOURTH tier of Spanish football. That's 2 levels below where Colunga plied most of his trade.

The hype machine is already in overdrive though, and once that's starts theres no stopping it. As a totally unproven youngster, he's now going to have to be something AMAZING to live up to peoples expectations. And we've all seen how that turns out most of the time.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

I may be wrong, but i think there is only 3 tiers in spanish football, with the 3rd being split into 4 leagues. I'm sure [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] can confirm either way.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Absolutely, I would go a bit further to say that we seem to be engineering key young signings somehow trying to hype the success of our new and costly academy.

An Icelantic International here a Finnish International there and now a Real Madrid academy player.

I wish them every success but a fear for the similar talented current DS players whom these players will undoubtedly be given preference over, we can sometimes forget the real ''magic bullet'' is nurture and development and I dont see or hear too much of that happening.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
So are we expecting him to be pushing for the first team? I'm guessing he hasn't signed for us to play more reserve football?

I had a conversation with Cantor on Twatter about this. Based on his mentioning we beat Prem teams to this kid I would wager that we've promised him at least an amount of regular first team football this season. Which, if true, says great things about his character as well in that he's happier earning less but playing more.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Albion boss Chris Hughton has urged new boy Jack Harper to challenge for a first team place.

But his first mission is to regain full fitness.

The 19-year-old has signed a two-year deal after coming through junior ranks at Real Madrid.

He is currently recovering from a knee injury and is at least eight weeks from returning to action.

Hughton said: “Even at the age of 19, Jack is a well known name and, having spent the past six years at Real Madrid, there is no doubting his pedigree.

"He has a lot of potential, is a skilful type, with a good eye for goal, and can operate as a striker or playing just off of a striker. We hope we can give him the platform to realise his undoubted potential.

"He has had an excellent grounding, having come through the youth system at Real Madrid, and also has international experience at youth level, having featured for Scotland's under-17 and under-19 sides."

Hughton added: "Jack's next step is to move up to senior football, but his first priority is to complete his rehabilitation and work to get his match fitness, then challenge to breakthrough into our first-team squad."

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I had a conversation with Cantor on Twatter about this. Based on his mentioning we beat Prem teams to this kid I would wager that we've promised him at least an amount of regular first team football this season. Which, if true, says great things about his character as well in that he's happier earning less but playing more.

I might be wrong, but i find the idea of us 'promising' any first team football this year very unlikely.
It's different to a loan, where we would agree with the players parent club to play them.
We've signed him on a 2 year contract. As CH has said, he is here to fulfil his potential. But, he won't have been promised anything (other than, 'when you're fit and settled, and if you're performing for the DS, you will be considered').

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I might be wrong, but i find the idea of us 'promising' any first team football this year very unlikely.
It's different to a loan, where we would agree with the players parent club to play them.
We've signed him on a 2 year contract. As CH has said, he is here to fulfil his potential. But, he won't have been promised anything (other than, 'when you're fit and settled, and if you're performing for the DS, you will be considered').

I think you are wrong there.

He most certainly will be signed for part of the first team squad and when fit he will have been promised to be training day in day out with the first team. I am sure he play the odd game in the DS but any place in the first team will be as a result of being a better option than another memeber of the first team, not because he has proved himself in the DS.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I actually thought that too. They didn't even name him in the initial tweet which annoyed me. I think the marketing/PR department need to be a little careful with these young players. They have quite a bit of responsibility in keeping them grounded and focussed. Calling him a "Real Madrid Striker" isn't the end of the world. But it is a bit of willy waving by the club at the players' expense. He needs to be focussing on BHA now, not the past. Similarly I think it was a bad idea making JFC the poster boy for the Nike kit launch last year. Puts too much pressure on these guys too early if you ask me.

100% this.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

'promised' was probably the wrong word to use. You've essentially rolled up what I meant in your last sentence :thumbsup:

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I think you are wrong there.

He most certainly will be signed for part of the first team squad and when fit he will have been promised to be training day in day out with the first team. I am sure he play the odd game in the DS but any place in the first team will be as a result of being a better option than another memeber of the first team, not because he has proved himself in the DS.

No, i agree with this. Sid Lowe via the Guardian has also said he will be training with the first team.
I just find it unlikely teams would promise young players first team football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here