Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monarch into admin

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Was abroad when XL collapsed and had to come home with another operator at own expense. Shit happens, move on. It's not about the passengers today. It's the employees I feel for.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
That's our half term holiday up the spout then as we were booked on Monarch! Been checking alternatives this morning but obviously they are a lot more pricey as so late and demand has shot up.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Feel sorry for the staff and hope something gets sorted sooner rather than later.Had a great holiday with them in Gran Canaria earlier in the year,but when I tried to re-book in August for this month,nothing doing.Trying Jet2 instead.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Another business that's had to swallow the bitter pill of ex/rate losses, thank you Brexit

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Friend was meant to be going to Ibiza with Monarch in a few days, which is now not happening. All the other airlines have sky rocketed their prices as people are looking for alternative flights.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Another business that's had to swallow the bitter pill of ex/rate losses, thank you Brexit

Bit more to it, there's also the loss of demand due to the instability in core regions Monarch operate in. FX isn't particularly the issue - my company had a shit ton of forward contracts with very favourable rates for them, we were losing on those when considering mark-to-market

EDIT: I should, FX is of course a factor. But big companies have all kinds of exchange rate hedging, as far as I'm aware (I'm fairly well placed to comment on matters relating to Greybull) they landed some good deals. Management was definitely a big factor in it as well.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Did I not hear on the news that they are hopeful that somebody will buy them out so that they can continue trading?
One would expect under the ATOL guarantee they would put them on other airlines flights with ATOL standing the extra cost.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is an unprecedented situation and because there are up to 110,000 passengers abroad, the UK Government has asked the CAA to coordinate flights back to the UK for all Monarch customers currently overseas. These new flights will be at no extra cost to you.
The UK government really is the best isn't it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
FFS - Next week the wife and I had a city break booked with Monarch - in Barcelona!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The UK government really is the best isn't it.
Not really, somebody in the gov must've been keeping an eye out on Monarchs activities!

its what ATOL is for, insurance for exactly this sort of scenario. the airlines/tour operators pay for it and there's funding in place, even plane capacity on standby iirc, for it.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Yes shouldn't be too expensive to convert an all Airbus fleet airline over to Boeing ....

As they were already training for their conversion to 737's,you are right,sort of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here