Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barcelona: Van hits crowds on Ramblas tourist area

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I noted above the couple of points I don't completely disagree with.

I'm no fan of the bible, but it does say that killing is wrong. It's not ok to kill non believers is it?

Nor am I, nor any religion. Extremism can use any religion for any cause just because someone wrote down a story about a thing called god once. The Quran doesn't actually say kill non believers, the extremists have interpreted that. I work with Muslims, Christians, atheists, the lot. I've yet to be murdered, raped even.

The Quran only asks followers of the faith to defend themselves from those who violently attack them or their faith and persecutes them to stop them from following their chosen faith - in the manner of "God helps those who help themselves" and that survival (therefore self defence) is the highest virtue.

The life, honor, and property of all people are considered sacred whether they are Muslim or not. All people must be free to worship God. They must be free to make their own choices. God The Guardian of Faith, explicitly says, “There is no compulsion in religion.” [Qur’an 2:256]

The bible is sometimes (mis)represented to say all non believers will go to hell. Thats horseshit too.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41004603

Barcelona attack: 'Man shot' in hunt for suspect

Police hunting the chief suspect in last Thursday's Barcelona van attack have shot a man in an area to the west of the city who appeared to be wearing an explosive belt, Spanish media say.
The shooting is reported to have happened on a road in Subirats.
Earlier, police confirmed they were hunting for Younes Abouyaaqoub, 22, suspected of driving a van into dozens of people on Las Ramblas.
Police have not confirmed if the man shot is Abouyaaqoub.
Media reports quoting police sources said the man targeted in Subirats shouted "Allahu Akbar" ("God is Greatest") when confronted.
There has been no indication what condition he is in.
The operation is reported to be under way some 25 miles (40km) from Barcelona, where Thursday's attack on Las Ramblas killed 13.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Extremism can use any religion for any cause
Well they can try to, but their job is a hell of a lot easier if the religion backs up the violence they're promoting.

The Quran doesn't actually say kill non believers, the extremists have interpreted that.
Sadly I think you're wrong. The Quran does say it's ok to kill non believers. The Bible says you shouldn't kill.
I work with Muslims, Christians, atheists, the lot. I've yet to be murdered, raped even.
So? I live with them, that doesn't mean I can't see what their book actually says.

The Quran only asks followers of the faith to defend themselves from those who violently attack them or their faith and persecutes them to stop them from following their chosen faith
That's incorrect. That is not all it does.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Well they can try to, but their job is a hell of a lot easier if the religion backs up the violence they're promoting.

Sadly I think you're wrong. The Quran does say it's ok to kill non believers. The Bible says you shouldn't kill.
So? I live with them, that doesn't mean I can't see what their book actually says.

That's incorrect. That is not all it does.

I'm not wrong, its interpretations, that's why religion is dangerous.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kabir-helminski/does-the-quran-really-adv_b_722114.html

The fundamental Quranic principle is that fighting is allowed only in self-defense, and it is only against those who actively fight against you. Indeed, Islam is a religion that seeks to maximize peace and reconciliation. Yet, Islam is not a pacifist religion; it does accept the premise that, from time to time and as a last resort, arms must be taken up in a just war.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not wrong, its interpretations, that's why religion is dangerous.
I think you are. While I understand the idea of interpretations, that's not what I'm talking about. I'll look up specific text later.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41004603

Barcelona attack: 'Man shot' in hunt for suspect

Police hunting the chief suspect in last Thursday's Barcelona van attack have shot a man in an area to the west of the city who appeared to be wearing an explosive belt, Spanish media say.
The shooting is reported to have happened on a road in Subirats.
Earlier, police confirmed they were hunting for Younes Abouyaaqoub, 22, suspected of driving a van into dozens of people on Las Ramblas.
Police have not confirmed if the man shot is Abouyaaqoub.
Media reports quoting police sources said the man targeted in Subirats shouted "Allahu Akbar" ("God is Greatest") when confronted.
There has been no indication what condition he is in.
The operation is reported to be under way some 25 miles (40km) from Barcelona, where Thursday's attack on Las Ramblas killed 13.

BBC news reported he is dead.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Nor am I, nor any religion. Extremism can use any religion for any cause just because someone wrote down a story about a thing called god once. The Quran doesn't actually say kill non believers, the extremists have interpreted that. I work with Muslims, Christians, atheists, the lot. I've yet to be murdered, raped even.

The Quran only asks followers of the faith to defend themselves from those who violently attack them or their faith and persecutes them to stop them from following their chosen faith - in the manner of "God helps those who help themselves" and that survival (therefore self defence) is the highest virtue.

The life, honor, and property of all people are considered sacred whether they are Muslim or not. All people must be free to worship God. They must be free to make their own choices. God The Guardian of Faith, explicitly says, “There is no compulsion in religion.” [Qur’an 2:256]

The bible is sometimes (mis)represented to say all non believers will go to hell. Thats horseshit too.

What you have to remember is the Quran is also read with the Hadiths which are more violent but you can't use one without the other, so like a lot of religious books it has a lot of contradictions with peace and violence.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
I was in Barcelona on holiday with my family when this happened though thankfully we were at Camp Nou. We went to Las Ramblas the day before and were going to go back that day but decided to go on the stadium tour. What a terrible thing to happen, so sad.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here