Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Local cricketers. Would YOU like to play here...?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've got a twenty over match today at Lower Beeding and again tomorrow at Plumpton. Splendid weather for it.

Last week I was due to play at Street and Westmeston for the first time (the previous one being rained off about 25 years ago despite travelling).

Alas history struck again...

I wrote a bitter poem to my site about it:

Let’s tell a tale of England fair,
Of willow, cork and leather,
Of journeys to the countryside,
Where old friends come together.

A day off work, a timely break,
Release from mundane task,
The hallowed turf, the whitewashed crease,
We’re there- no need to ask.

The cars arrive, the pitch prepared,
The changing rooms all-chatting,
The toss to come, decision’s tough,
Are we bowling ? Are we batting ?

Yet warbler’s tune, so soulfully played,
Does suddenly fall still,
As angry cloud and sharpening breeze,
Now shroud the nearby hill.

Once sky so bright, once hopes so high,
Another splendid game,
No ball will bowl, we’re going home,
It’s pissing down with rain….

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Agreed. That's what's stopped me playing League cricket on a regular basis. Unfortunately it creeps into Sunday village cricket on ocassion. Yesterday we had some young tyke hit the cover off it and stand there bold as brass while the umpire looked the other way. RIGHT, we said if that's the way they want to play it, and we played hardball, beating them by 1 wicket, but it still left a bad taste.

I remember Parham having a couple of old spinners who used to bowl straight out of the sun! Mark? And Brian Huffer gave no quarter. Smashing ground mind.

PG

PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

We have been having a lovely season up in the Berkshire League. i play for our seconds who are in the 4th division. So far I haven't come across a team that haven't been (on the whole) incredibly friendly and sporting.

We played on Saturday and the sledging was rather amusing. I was in at 7 and they crowded the bat - whenever I looked around to check the fielding placement the guys at Point and slip would start pulling faces. Had to stop myself laughing. They had one young lad (probably about 19) who was the angriest man I have ever seen, he would hit a beautiful stroke for four and then let out a cry of anger that it wasn't a six. then whilst bowling would get livid that he didn't get a wicket every ball. The good thing though was that is was never directed at the opposition but at himself, when chatting to him after he was a really nice guy

Maybe I am enjoying it so much as I haven't played for 8 years but already had my best return with the bat.

3 innings, 3 not outs:

0*
37*
20*

Lovely stuff

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Had our first Sunday match called off this week. Weather ? No. The other team couldn't raise the numbers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Had our first Sunday match called off this week. Weather ? No. The other team couldn't raise the numbers.

Shame. It was a beautiful day. We played at Ferring, and a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon was had by all. I even got in early enough to bat for a decent length of time for a change, and got to knock off the winning runs with [MENTION=21877]Chinman3000[/MENTION]

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Shame. It was a beautiful day. We played at Ferring, and a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon was had by all. I even got in early enough to bat for a decent length of time for a change, and got to knock off the winning runs with [MENTION=21877]Chinman3000[/MENTION]

I was most miffed about it. But I have matches today and tomorrow to make up for it.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011

It was a beaut, and a good win for us - chasing down 148 in just under 23 overs. Also one of the quickest outfields I've ever seen!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Its the start of the VILLAGE cricket season again, and time for the annual bounce of this thread.

As ever, there is always room for anyone, of any age or standard, who wants a friendly game of cricket. You will be made VERY welcome. You will be given a good game, rather than standing in the field doing nothing - everyone gets to bat and / or bowl (if they want to). And the teas are pretty good.

First game yesterday - and as an antidote the all of the recent SHITNESS in the world / news / media (most especially Saturday night) - it doesn't come much better than a game of cricket on a sunny day, at one of the most beautiful spots in Sussex. Phone off, drove in, watched the deer run by. Watched a couple of baby foxes playing tag with each other behind the pavilion (run, before Theresa's mates see you), then set about remembering how to actually play.

Got well beaten, but that's of little consequence. A couple of pints later and all is well with the world (for an afternoon detached from reality, at least).

Come and join us :thumbsup:

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
I stopped playing any league cricket 20 years ago, at the age of 25, partly because I wasn't able to commit to playing every week, but mostly because I got fed up with the number of twats involved - people taking themselves and their 'talents' way more seriously than they had any right to!

The batsmen not walking when I'd practically knocked a chunk out of the edge of their bat. The pathetic sledging. The (let's not sugar-coat it) cheating umpires. Got massively disillusioned that people wanted to win a GAME so much, they were prepared to resort to all that.

Not for me, Clive.

I'm 24 now and it's a MASSIVE contributor as to why I've stopped this season.

What is the point of playing when a guy will happily nick it to slip and not walk? What is the point in playing?
And umpires...don't get me started! I fully appreciate a tough job but some of the howlers made are just blatant cheating. But we're not allowed to say or even imply it!

Umpires are reviewed by our captain for feedback (score with comment) and our captain was threatened with a ban for dissent! What's the point of giving feedback (which, by the way was in no shape personal or questioned their integrity) when you don't want to hear anything?

And then there are those clubs that EVERYONE knows has a cheating umpire. But absolutely nothing is done to stop.

I love cricket but why bother!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

What is the point of playing when a guy will happily nick it to slip and not walk? What is the point in playing?
And umpires...don't get me started! I fully appreciate a tough job but some of the howlers made are just blatant cheating. But we're not allowed to say or even imply it!

Umpires are reviewed by our captain for feedback (score with comment) and our captain was threatened with a ban for dissent! What's the point of giving feedback (which, by the way was in no shape personal or questioned their integrity) when you don't want to hear anything?

And then there are those clubs that EVERYONE knows has a cheating umpire. But absolutely nothing is done to stop.

The answer is to come and play for FUN on a Sunday. I know just the place...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I moved out to Canada 2 years ago, so gave up playing league cricket. I have to say I don't really miss it at all. I was so fed up of some of the idiots involved, players and umpires alike. Along with the somewhat bizarre selection policies.

There's an umpire at Burgess Hill who is GUARANTEED to give them an LBW decision, and turn down all of the opposition's. I remember a game when we were about 20-6 including 4 very dubious LBWs.

A guy I play football was telling me about a T20 competition they have in Toronto. The games are at 8AM on a Sunday. WTF is the point in that?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

NONE of this happens at Parham. Me and my lad have played there a few times (following an earlier HKFC post) and I can vouch for everything he says. Lovely setting, very friendly and just how village cricket was years ago (including that any ability welcome). There may be the odd bad decision, but that's due to hangovers or just being rubbish, not cheating (like I witness in Sussex league matches every week now when watching junior play).

Not sure whether we'll make any games this season but really hoping to (if selected, obviously [emoji23][emoji23])

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
NONE of this happens at Parham. Me and my lad have played there a few times (following an earlier HKFC post) and I can vouch for everything he says. Lovely setting, very friendly and just how village cricket was years ago (including that any ability welcome). There may be the odd bad decision, but that's due to hangovers or just being rubbish, not cheating (like I witness in Sussex league matches every week now when watching junior play).

Not sure whether we'll make any games this season but really hoping to (if selected, obviously [emoji23][emoji23])

I was led to believe you are both down to play on the 18th!??

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I started playing cricket a couple of years ago after a 10-year break and have never encountered any cheating at all. Admittedly, I've only played a handful of games but I've never heard my team mates complain about bad decisions in previous weeks. Nor did I encounter any cheating in the 25 years of cricket beforehand?

Have I been lucky? Or am I naive in putting the odd bad decision to human error rather than malice?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I started playing cricket a couple of years ago after a 10-year break and have never encountered any cheating at all. Admittedly, I've only played a handful of games but I've never heard my team mates complain about bad decisions in previous weeks. Nor did I encounter any cheating in the 25 years of cricket beforehand?

Have I been lucky? Or am I naive in putting the odd bad decision to human error rather than malice?

Not so much outright cheating, but the game has become much less friendly at league level as teams now look to sledge at every opportunity (old men at slip giving 14 year old no 11s a foul-mouthed 'send off' is now ok apparently). There are plenty of crap decisions (always have been at amateur level) but you're way more likely to see this questioned nowadays, lots don't walk when they've clearly nicked it etc etc and some of the decisions are so bad they could be interpreted as cheating (one on Saturday led to the skipper withdrawing the appeal it was so bad).

I don't play a lot of league cricket now (too old, occasionally fill in when the club are desperate) but do watch junior quite a bit. It's not just the more competitive (higher) leagues either - I've seen it when turning out for our 3rds and 4ths (division 6-8)

All a bit sad really. Used to be the exception, now it's the norm (but not at Parham on a Sunday which is altogether more 'traditional' [emoji106][emoji106])

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We had a picnic at Sheffield park and after wandering around the place for the thousandth time, we sat watching a game on lord Sheffield's pitch which is magnificent.

Karen asked if I missed it, and honestly I didn't. I play a lot of golf now, but I start at around 8 in the morning and am finished by 11:30 ish for 18 holes. We have the rest of the day to do what we both want. Cricket for st Michaels used to take all day, leave home at 10 and get in at 11 at night...maybe that was because I played in East Sussex league at places as far away as rye and Edenbridge

I have been asked to play an evening game for an old side I played for many years ago....I may give it a go, but I am 59 this year, although I still get mails asking I find I am available to play for sussex over 50's, I think it is a young mans game.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
We had a picnic at Sheffield park and after wandering around the place for the thousandth time, we sat watching a game on lord Sheffield's pitch which is magnificent.

Karen asked if I missed it, and honestly I didn't. I play a lot of golf now, but I start at around 8 in the morning and am finished by 11:30 ish for 18 holes. We have the rest of the day to do what we both want. Cricket for st Michaels used to take all day, leave home at 10 and get in at 11 at night...maybe that was because I played in East Sussex league at places as far away as rye and Edenbridge

I have been asked to play an evening game for an old side I played for many years ago....I may give it a go, but I am 59 this year, although I still get mails asking I find I am available to play for sussex over 50's, I think it is a young mans game.

The over-50s county cricket can be good fun - always played inthe right spirit - I went on a superb tour of Capetown for 2 weeks as a warm-up in Mar 2007 with the Shrops over-50s.
Our over-60s county captain is John Foster and he was selected to captain the England over-60 ashes tour of Australia this winter just gone - how fabulous!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I'm older than you, Dave, but I play a few Last Man Standing games every season. They're great fun - although with 8-a-side you do a lot of chasing leather! You're never too old: I played a game last year where the wicket keeper was 87.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm older than you, Dave, but I play a few Last Man Standing games every season. They're great fun - although with 8-a-side you do a lot of chasing leather! You're never too old: I played a game last year where the wicket keeper was 87.

There were 56 years between the youngest and oldest players in the Parham team on Sunday! (12 and 68)

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Just want to 2nd what HKFC has already said in this thread about Parham.

I am a convert because of this thread and I'm so pleased I took the plunge and went to that first game. I'm not the best cricketer in the world, but the team are very welcoming and friendly.I was playing league cricket previously and can say that playing for Parham is 10x better.

So, if you would like to play cricket or know someone that does, please get in touch and give it a try - if only for one game and help this great club continue for many years to come.

ALSO - for those of you on twitter - please follow the clubs feed @Parham_Cricket as we will be posting more videos, quotes and news from the season on there this year, and it will be good for a laugh if nothing else!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here