Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jimmy's gonna get ya!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Didn't realise Jimmy was in his prime (27) when he join us from Liverpool; don't remember to much about him other then his long black hair and all the chants about his violent intensions. But my question is to some who remember better if we bought that same young man at 27 into our current team how do think he would fair? Never got to see him until his second spell 93-96 how good was he back in 81?

brighton-1983-280x400.jpg

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Didn't realise Jimmy was in his prime (27) when he join us from Liverpool; don't remember to much about him other then his long black hair and all the chants about his violent intensions. But my question is to some who remember better if we bought that same young man at 27 into our current team how do think he would fair? Never got to see him until his second spell 93-96 how good was he back in 81?

He was hard, mobile, hard working, skilful but very one footed. Rated the hardest shot in UK, post Peter Lorimer. Even at the time he joined us at a surprisingly young age. I suspect Brighton might have been paying silly wages for the time, given the size of club and resources. Maybe that explains how we got these players and why we nearly went bust 15 years later.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My best mate knew him well around that time and I can confirm that not only was he a magnificent footballer, his personal hardman/hard drinking persona was 100% authentic.

He did like a beer as did most of the Brighton players around this era and I am told whilst many of the first team squad were filling their boots with FA cup ticket deals, it was Case, not the captain Foster who ensured that the younger players got some action too.

A mans man, no doubt.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Friend of mine who is a cabbie tells a great story of taking him home one night. Had to wake his Mrs up to open the door & help her get him inside.
He played the next day, scored a hat-trick I believe; might have been the Charlton game.

That goal at Highbury is one of my best ever Albion memories & everyone else who was there will doubtless say the same. Great player, very lucky to have seen him play.

Bucephalus

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Totally agree - Case goal in FA Cup semi at Highbury just the stuff of dreams - right up there with beating L'pool at Anfield during same cup run. In fact on the day before the Norwich match myself and a mate were waiting for autographs outside the Goldstone (honestly can't remember why we weren't at school as not the type to truant) and said to him "score a goal for us tomorrow Jimmy" to which he replied "course I will lads" ruffling our hair etc but when he did score as kids we felt 10 ft tall! Just dug out programmes from that season - he scored in 4th round vs Man City, 5th vs L'pool, qtr-final vs Norwich and semi-final vs S Wed not bad for a mid-fielder. Top bloke.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

In this day and age that tackle would have been a sending off.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
He had it in for Wilkins from the word go in the first final. Some of it was x-rated stuff, even back then. He wasn't renowned for his heading ability but boy could he do everything else. Crunching tackles, great passing and a rocket of a shot. He made crossbars shit themselves! If Highbury was still standing, that crossbar would still be rattling!

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
He was a great guy on and off the pitch. If only we had someone as good as him running our midfield now.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
If we are being honest great players have been few and far between at the Albion over the years but Jimmy is one of the few.When my son was born in 1984 I wanted to name him Jimmy but the wife wouldn't have it so he got James as a middle name.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
It is, read it cover to cover on Christmas day. No mention of his wife (Lana?) and only a very brief mention of his daughter towards the end. But very favourable comments regarding his time with us and let go to Southampton far too soon.
a few went when we got relegated

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
An absolute beast in midfield, great to watch Jimmy and the late Tony Grealish together. Best remembered for his free kick against Sheff Wendy, but my favourite moment was when we played an African team at the Goldstone, from a free kick he placed the ball and smashed it into the wall knocking someone to the ground.

Albion Rob

When I was at school I decided to do a project on the Albion. I called the club and asked to speak to Jimmy (he was manager at the time and I was about 14 so it didn't seem unreasonable....) and the receptionist said she's leave a note for him.

Later that afternoon former England international, European Cup winner, league winner and BH A legend called me up at home, chatted about tactics from a recent game and invited me and a mate down to the training ground to get what we needed for our project.

About a week later we were down at the training ground taking pictures and Jimmy arranged for us to chat with Ian Baird and Mark Ormerod as well as spending about half an hour chatting with us.

A thoroughly decent thing to do and although he would certainly have been having a tough time then, he really made us feel welcome. Very good of him.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Legend has it that in his first week here he turned up at the veg market in Brighton at crack of dawn after a night out with the knocker boys. The guys in the market poured him into a taxi and he reported in for training a couple of hours later.
I was fortunate to meet him a couple of years later when we provided lodgings for a young lad from Liverpool who was conected to his family. Went and watched a reserve game with him at the Goldstone. A really nice guy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here