Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you miss FM radio? Poll to follow

Would you miss FM radio if we lost it for good?

• Yes

Votes: 45 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 40.0%

• Total voters

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Norway has just turned off the FM signal apparently. DAB only there now (and internet radio of course).

Bloke on the news the other day suggesting we're hoping to go down the same route but are possibly 5 years away still. Says it will be " listener led", but we all know we won't have any say in it when push comes to shove.

So would you miss FM radio if our signal ends up getting switched off for good?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I mostly listen to DAB but only because there's more stations available. The FM quality is superior with local stations and the BBC cluster.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No doubt the current FM stations would transfer to DAB so dont see any issue. We survived the switchover on TV.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
No. Never listen to FM radio. Those old codgers who vote "yes" need to get with the program

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No doubt the current FM stations would transfer to DAB so dont see any issue. We survived the switchover on TV.

Not as simple as station choice.

Audio quality of DAB is poorer than that of FM, and reception can be poor or non-existent in places for DAB too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have a DAB radio and it really isn't all its cut out to be. I certainly don't get crystal clear reception as advertised and of course you can't get matchday coverage on DAB due to BBC contractual reasons. Oh and plus my car radio will be fecked too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I only ever listen to FM not having DAB or using the internet for the radio, so I would miss it.

I thought you might still be on a Crystal set ?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If most cars had DAB in them then it would've happened already.

I agree with you there. Original proposals for switch off was 2015, but the DAB issue of availability and reception in cars in particular has pushed that back.

Sound quality/bitrates don't seem to figure as an issue to any switch over plans. They probably reason, understandably, that most people listen to radio via car or portable devices rather than sit down and listen to a dedicated tuner as part of a hi fi set up.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No. Never listen to FM radio. Those old codgers who vote "yes" need to get with the program

It's 'programme'. We're not going to be in the United States of Europe any more, but we're certainly not heading off to join the United States of America, where they have a strange language all of their own!
Just because you don't use it, it doesn't give you the right to say it shouldn't exist. I don't use Tampax, but I don't go round suggesting that those who do should just learn to do without them!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Radio Reverb is on DAB thanks to a trial run by the Home Office and Department for Culture, Media and Sport. Previously, DAB was prohibitively expensive - there is no way Reverb could afford to go with it - until this low-cost trial.

It appears to be a success, and is being rolled across the country. It might hasten FM's demise, but as has been pointed out, DAB coverage isn't that of FM yet, especially in the car.

When that happens, I'm guessing FM will be re-assigned (rather than switched off).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have a DAB radio and it really isn't all its cut out to be. I certainly don't get crystal clear reception as advertised and of course you can't get matchday coverage on DAB due to BBC contractual reasons. Oh and plus my car radio will be fecked too.
.....and, to be honest, Radio 4 just doesn't sound right anywhere except on Long Wave. It jus has a different (inferior) tone.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
But assume change over wouldn't occur until coverage issues resolved

You'd think so yes, hence why bloke on radio said we're still probably 5 years away. They did originally anticipate a change over of around 2015.

I think DAB+ technology needs to be the standard really before they can justify switching off FM. That would kill several birds with one stone - better audio quality, reception, and more stations. There would still be trade off decisions to be made though in terms of balancing quality with quantity.

It will take a while yet from where we are now for DAB+ to be the standard that everyone owns. Hopefully that will keep FM going longer.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
FM will become a thing of the past soon. As long as this works in line with the accessibility and affordability of DAB I won't mourn. It's a question of how internet coverage widens and, again, becomes accessible.

I thought about buying an internet radio but I see no point. TuneIn has everything and bluetooth runs speakers throughout the flat.

The reach is amazing. I can listen to TMS in open country and [MENTION=791]The Albion Roar[/MENTION] in a forest. I remember listening to a mates hospital internet show on a coach to Bolton Wanderers.

Being a radio enthusiast the progression never ceases to wow me.

I wrote my feelings after the win on the wireless at Fulham last year:

https://brightonlines.com/2015/08/15/a-win-on-the-wireless/

If all forms of media were taken from me and I was left with one, the radio it would be. And now we are all our own broadcasters.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It's 'programme'. We're not going to be in the United States of Europe any more, but we're certainly not heading off to join the United States of America, where they have a strange language all of their own!
Just because you don't use it, it doesn't give you the right to say it shouldn't exist. I don't use Tampax, but I don't go round suggesting that those who do should just learn to do without them!

Righto Pops.
How is the listening experience using valves anyway ?

(and, yes, I'm kidding, don't see a great rush to turn off)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here