Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The new Sainsbury's Christmas ad

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Stands up as a film in its own right I'd suggest. Saw it at the cinema yesterday and it was well received. A few guffaws when the Sainsburys association was revealed at the end, has to be said, but if the net result is a sizeable donation to the British Legion, then fair play. Certainly beats the shit out of John Lewis's crappy penguin ad, on every level.

Don't knock Monty!!!!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The big four supermarkets are desperate at present as the discounters get more market share and people have had to think more carefully about weekly shopping as it is more expensive.

I suppose any commercial campaign will be tried but I find this a bit cynical as well as the ultimate goal is only to increase sales.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
At least TESCO didn't come up with that concept.

They would have come out the trenches, built a new trench - complete with a petrol station - right next to the German trench that the Germans had been happily using for years, forcing that trench to close down. And then they would have gone back to their commanding officers and reported they won the football 250 million goals to nil.

Every Fiddle Counts.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Playing the WWI card to win the "Best Xmas advert" award isnt brilliant. They are all a bit "meh" anyway this year - Tesco, ASDA, Aldi, Lidl, John Lewis - they are all a bit crap.

Waitrose probably have got the better one of the lot.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Shed a tear or two at the advert. Loved it. Did wonder about the use of something so poignant to promote the buying of all your Christmas stuff from Sainsbury's.

As it's promoting that frankly GORGEOUS chocolate bar from which all proceeds go to the RBL, I'm happy with it, and will continue buying that Chocolate happily.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well I enjoyed it as an advert.

Will it make it any difference to me shopping in Sainsburys? Hell no. I live in Haywards Heath and Sainsbo's OWN HH.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I wanted to slate the this advert. I think have got it just right. This being the 100th anniversary i think makes this seem relevent and its a classy advert. Full credit to them. As long as its beneficial for the royal legion i cant see the problem.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
As far as I remember they did have a truce on Xmas day and now I'm confused as to if they actually did play football? I thought they did but now want a bar of chocolate.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I heard a rumour it was put together by team summit from the Apprentice as one of the yet to be aired tasks.

I was pleased to see they had edited out the couple of hours it took to clear the pitch of blood and guts and rotting corpses too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
World War I, now sponsored by Sainsburys.

Don't miss our 2-for-1 offers on Cheeselets...really Somme-thing special.

Delightful.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
You're not ACTUALLY being serious there...are you ?

Please tell me you're not.

Well yeah I'm totally serious. Made me think about the actual truce. Stopping the fighting for a bit just to reflect on the fact that being human transcends what flag you're fighting for. Until fat coward generals start shelling again. The same fat coward generals who shoot soldiers for cowardice, when they desert instead of walking forward into machine gun fire.

It's tragic.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well yeah I'm totally serious. Made me think about the actual truce. Stopping the fighting for a bit just to reflect on the fact that being human transcends what flag you're fighting for. Until fat coward generals start shelling again. The same fat coward generals who shoot soldiers for cowardice, when they desert instead of walking forward into machine gun fire.

It's tragic.

Its certainly no bad thing to reflect on those horrific events, or be moved by it.

Its just a bit of a shame that it takes a glossy, contrived, airbrushed supermarket ad to bring it to peoples attention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here