Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] QPR - End of Loftus Road or Bust?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Always an excuse to play this.
Great times :albion2:

was on a stag do in a big pub in liverpool city centre , the locals were very bemused at 30 blokes going mad and singing we're on our way :lolol: i know im a chelsea fan really , but have always looked out for.albion , that promotion season was f*cking magic , it would takr a.lot to equal it , genuinely gives me a warm fuzzy feeling thinking about it

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
is the old white city stadium still there ?

That's long gone, the land became part of The BBC. I remember as a child when they used to have speedway at White City Stadium, the noise could be heard up to a mile away & perhaps even further, how things have changed, they'd never be able to create so much noise in such a built up area. The Stadium was used when England hosted the post war Olympics in 1948. I believe it had a capacity of over 90,000. Anyway it was knocked down in 1985.

Oops got distracted by a phonecall whilst writing this and Beanstalk supplied the answer.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
That's long gone, the land became part of The BBC. I remember as a child when they used to have speedway at White City Stadium, the noise could be heard up to a mile away & perhaps even further, how things have changed, they'd never be able to create so much noise in such a built up area. The Stadium was used when England hosted the post war Olympics in 1948. I believe it had a capacity of over 90,000. Anyway it was knocked down in 1985.
i remember the old team there white city rebels , i lived in tooting at the time literally just round the corner from wimbledon stadium and used to watch the speedway there , broke my heart when my hero tommy jansson was killed , wimbledon stadium now sadly gone as well.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I must be in the minority in my like for Loftus Road, got a real 70s retro feel to it and pretty easy to get to.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Were there nine of them? Did they deliberately bang the back of people’s heads on their way to the back wall? Spit on anyone? Just curious.

Do i detect a bit of scepticism? Unfortunately true and it came down through to that cramped walkway which they called a concourse.Spit , banging heads ? did n't see it. Note the liquid was urine as it smelt.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Do i detect a bit of scepticism? Unfortunately true and it came down through to that cramped walkway which they called a concourse.Spit , banging heads ? did n't see it. Note the liquid was urine as it smelt.

No, no scepticism at all. Just that the sort of blokes that piss down the the back wall might also do the other things too.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Oops got distracted by a phonecall whilst writing this and Beanstalk supplied the answer.

It also hosted a group match (France v Uruguay) in the 1966 World Cup. All the matches in England's group were supposed to be at Wembley, but that game was scheduled for a Friday night and Friday night was Wembley's traditional greyhound racing night. World Cup or not, nothing got in the way of Wembley's dog racing, so the game was switched to White City instead.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
was on a stag do in a big pub in liverpool city centre , the locals were very bemused[U][/U] at 30 blokes going mad and singing we're on our way :lolol: i know im a chelsea fan really , but have always looked out for.albion , that promotion season was f*cking magic , it would takr a.lot to equal it , genuinely gives me a warm fuzzy feeling thinking about it

That's brilliant, but a normal occurrence on Merseyside :cool:

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
can they actually afford to leave Loftus Road though , where's the money going to come from , they still have a hefty fine to pay off for breaching FFP dont they , not sure they can afford anything without a 'super rich' new owner

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I never get how it went wrong financially. They made some really astute signings on low wages in the prem

Julio Cesar
Chris Samba
Jose Bosingwa
Tal Ben Haim
Park Ji Sung
Esteban Granero
Stephen Mbia
Loic Remy
Djibril Cisse

Oh no. my mistake. Wages to turnover ratio of 90% and, in the championship, a £74.5m wage compared to £38.7m income

In my mind, whenever clubs even THINK of signing a player, they must sit there, crunching the numbers, working out what the ABSOLUTE maximum is they can afford for that player, making sure they cover themselves with clauses and all sorts before they even consider making a bid.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
That's brilliant, but a normal occurrence on Merseyside :cool:

got some close mates in liverpool , think the people and the city are unfairly judged aot of the time , never been treated anything less than really well up there , lost my mates in the city centre at 3 in the morning , asked a bloke where the cab rank was , " come on mate , ill show you" he didnt have to ! another true story , my mate was in tbe tourist place with his bird , looking for a hotel , scouser , overvears him , gives him his HOUSE KEYS , address and says stay at mine , see you when i get back , unbelievable

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
got some close mates in liverpool , think the people and the city are unfairly judged aot of the time , never been treated anything less than really well up there , lost my mates in the city centre at 3 in the morning , asked a bloke where the cab rank was , " come on mate , ill show you" he didnt have to ! another true story , my mate was in tbe tourist place with his bird , looking for a hotel , scouser , overvears him , gives him his HOUSE KEYS , address and says stay at mine , see you when i get back , unbelievable

:blush::dunce:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I agree. Imagine if someone had bankrolled Brighton to the Premier League, it would be sickening.

You're right on the money there! A club that made investments that passed every test of FFP vs a club that indiscriminately chucked sackloads of cash at mercenary players, stuck two fingers up at the rules, and just hoped

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
i remember the old team there white city rebels , i lived in tooting at the time literally just round the corner from wimbledon stadium and used to watch the speedway there , broke my heart when my hero tommy jansson was killed , wimbledon stadium now sadly gone as well.
Good days, good days.
Raced my stock car at both White City and Wimbledon Stadiums back in the 70s

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here