Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Two weeks to go and it’s advantage Miliband

http://gu.com/p/47z6f

What do you reckon [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION]?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
It will be a confidence and supply arrangement with the SNP.

You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. Got a feeling it will be milliband doing the majority of the scratching. Not a great way to run the country is it. All the noise coming from sturgeon is that if this happens it will be her calling the shots. :eek:

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
As someone else pointed out, that was hardly a mauling and, only tells part of the story. Hard to comment on whether individuals were at fault or if it was down to the policy of that particular trust. Would be interesting to know whether that caller took up the offer to discuss the matter further, most probably in private.

Now imagine if it was Cameron sitting there. Would you have said the same then?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. Got a feeling it will be milliband doing the majority of the scratching. Not a great way to run the country is it. All the noise coming from sturgeon is that if this happens it will be her calling the shots. :eek:

A formal coalition means agreeing the compromises. A confidence and supply arrangement means that you dont have to give up policies that are unpopular with your partners if you believe there are other parties who will support them.

So for example snp want to split the union but a majority of MPs probably don't. Snp don't want trident but likely backed by tories, a vote to keep it will pass.

But to get a budget and Queens speech passed there will likely be some compromises but I doubt that the gaps once discussed, will be insurmountable

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
This is why the Trident debate is irrelevant once Labour ruled out a formal coalition as they would vote any move to get rid of it down with the Tories.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
A formal coalition means agreeing the compromises. A confidence and supply arrangement means that you dont have to give up policies that are unpopular with your partners if you believe there are other parties who will support them.

So for example snp want to split the union but a majority of MPs probably don't. Snp don't want trident but likely backed by tories, a vote to keep it will pass.

But to get a budget and Queens speech passed there will likely be some compromises but I doubt that the gaps once discussed, will be insurmountable

Yes I understand how a confidence and supply agreement works. If policies aren't agreeable by both ,to me it would seem that the agreement would limp along with no real purpose. That's just how I feel.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Yep [MENTION=222]Southy[/MENTION] trouble is, that many British people don't really understand their own parliamentary system. Coalitions were scary before the last election. Even the civil service sent officials to many countries to understand how it worked and how to play their role in negotiations

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

As I have said a few times now, Germany operates successfully, in fact very successfully, with a coalition and has done so for decades. I see none of the concerns or worries which people in the UK are expressing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes I understand how a confidence and supply agreement works. If policies aren't agreeable by both ,to me it would seem that the agreement would limp along with no real purpose. That's just how I feel.

But what makes you think this will happen? And why do you think this will happen in the UK but does not happen Germany? Germany doesn't limp along....far from it. And remember there is a "grand coalition" here which in theory should make things very difficult. I'm prepared to accept that Labour and SNP can work together for the greater good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yep [MENTION=222]Southy[/MENTION] trouble is, that many British people don't really understand their own parliamentary system. Coalitions were scary before the last election. Even the civil service sent officials to many countries to understand how it worked and how to play their role in negotiations

Very much this.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
As I have said a few times now, Germany operates successfully, in fact very successfully, with a coalition and has done so for decades. I see none of the concerns or worries which people in the UK are expressing.

The latest coalition in my opinion has been good for the country. I'm not afraid of genuine coalitions HT.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But what makes you think this will happen? And why do you think this will happen in the UK but does not happen Germany? Germany doesn't limp along....far from it. And remember there is a "grand coalition" here which in theory should make things very difficult. I'm prepared to accept that Labour and SNP can work together for the greater good.

Out of interest Herr T, do any of the parties in Germany rule out some parties they would work with in a coalition ? I just find it rather pathetic that here the SNP have ruled out working with the Tories for example. Thank god Nick Clegg didn't do that previously.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Out of interest Herr T, do any of the parties in Germany rule out some parties they would work with in a coalition ? I just find it rather pathetic that here the SNP have ruled out working with the Tories for example. Thank god Nick Clegg didn't do that previously.

Good question. I remember the leader of the SDP said prior to the election that he would resign rather than work with Merkel. A fair play to the fella as he did indeed resign. His, former, party then entered into talks with Merkel to form the current government. I think his resignation was more due to his failure to get the majority of the votes though.

Aside from this I am not sure how much public courting and ruling-out goes on before the election though. I'll get back to you on this.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I have heard three senior members of the Labour Party now, state very clearly they have no intention of forming a coalition with the SNP. My question is who will they form a government with or are the Labour supporters on here hoping for a small majority?

If Labour win enough seats to be the largest party at Westminster they don't need the SNP with a supply and confidence arrangement providing the LibDems win a reasonable number of seats too. I think the LibDems have said they won't team up with the Tories if UKIP are in the equation.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
If Labour win enough seats to be the largest party at Westminster they don't need the SNP with a supply and confidence arrangement providing the LibDems win a reasonable number of seats too. I think the LibDems have said they won't team up with the Tories if UKIP are in the equation.

And the Tories have ruled out a deal with UKIP.

The Lib Dems have ruled out being involved in any sort of government with the SNP

So that means the likely scenarios are

labour and SNP confidence and supply

Labour and lib dem confidence and supply or maybe coalition

Tories, Lib dem and DUP confidence and supply.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
And the Tories have ruled out a deal with UKIP.

The Lib Dems have ruled out being involved in any sort of government with the SNP

So that means the likely scenarios are

labour and SNP confidence and supply

Labour and lib dem confidence and supply or maybe coalition

Tories, Lib dem and DUP confidence and supply.

The problem with the LibDems is that AFTER the election result they will be able to change their minds if they see any way of sharing power in a minority government regardless if it is blue or red.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Maybe If Clegg is unseated. He has said yday that any party that comes 2nd but forms a government would lack legitimacy.

I was thinking along those lines too , with Nasty Nick hastily sending off his CV to pull in a few lucrative directorships he ain't gonna be too bothered what happens.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

compromises like say no Trident, no this or that, must contain a policy favouring our corner of the UK... etc. we've yet to see what confidence and supply will look like in practice, but on paper it means the government has to produce a very watered down programme, which will be subject to excessive debate and risk being voted down if the "partner" doesnt support it - simply abstaining would be enough to defeat most legislation with the current numbers.

im increasing of the mind this is a good thing because they cant do much, which means we can get with it ourselfs for the better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here