Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bell Cheeses at work

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I work till 4 in an office where most people work 9 till 5 and quite often get the 'see you Part timer' comment when I leave.

They forget/don't know that invariably I am in at 7.30 (7.45 latest) whereas they roll in through the door bang on 9 and spend the next 15 minutes getting themselves a coffee, switching on their computer, selecting which pen to use for that day and asking everyone how their evening was!

This brings back memories. I used to work in an office that was flexitime. I used to do 7-3 so I could get out the door early to really enjoy the rest of the day, loads of people used to give the 'part-timer' comments as I left. I had to remind them every day that their 9-5 was EXACTLY the same and that they must be thick as PIGSH!T to not understand this.

I think I made a point of saying 'couldn't get out of bed this morning, I've been here 2 hours already' at 9am everyday just to annoy them,

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Easy. Reply and explain why. Then just take your hour for lunch every day. Flexibility cuts both ways.

Christ, I'm glad I work for myself now. Mind you, without presenteeism, NSC would probably fold.

PG
Yes, and copy in his boss to your response, assuming he has one?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This brings back memories. I used to work in an office that was flexitime. I used to do 7-3 so I could get out the door early to really enjoy the rest of the day, loads of people used to give the 'part-timer' comments as I left. I had to remind them every day that their 9-5 was EXACTLY the same and that they must be thick as PIGSH!T to not understand this.

I think I made a point of saying 'couldn't get out of bed this morning, I've been here 2 hours already' at 9am everyday just to annoy them,

It always seems that staying late in the office shows that you're really committed to the job and going the extra mile, where as coming in early is completely IGNORED. What really pisses me of is when the late-stayers arrange meetings at 5pm because they think EVERYONE will still be in the office and should be expected to attend, yet if you try and arrange a meeting at 8am (or even 9am) people kick up a fuss or just don't bother attending.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
It always seems that staying late in the office shows that you're really committed to the job and going the extra mile, where as coming in early is completely IGNORED. What really pisses me of is when the late-stayers arrange meetings at 5pm because they think EVERYONE will still be in the office and should be expected to attend, yet if you try and arrange a meeting at 8am (or even 9am) people kick up a fuss or just don't bother attending.

I blatantly tell people I leave at 4pm, come hell or high water, and I won't be going to their meeting.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Could always regularly send a work related email at 7.05am, or do you think your respective bell-cheeses will fail to notice?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Seen plenty of those guys in my time. Reply to emails after 10pm and before 7:30am conveniently copying in the boss.

They're nearly always project managers in my experience. I usually try and make it clear to them that I only work during working hours and then SWITCH OFF from any work related activities.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
They're nearly always project managers in my experience. I usually try and make it clear to them that I only work during working hours and then SWITCH OFF from any work related activities.
I think it's a clear divide between those that embrace the blackberry lifestyle ('I was just checking my mails before bed and I saw...') and those that run from it ('bugger off, I don't actually care about any of this crap outside of work') with all haste.

Personally, I hope to be running for a long time yet.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think it's a clear divide between those that embrace the blackberry lifestyle ('I was just checking my mails before bed and I saw...') and those that run from it ('bugger off, I don't actually care about any of this crap outside of work') with all haste.

Personally, I hope to be running for a long time yet.

I've always managed to avoid being contactable outside of work, I especially don't check work emails. I even had a work iPhone once and I don't think it ever got used for a work-related phone call (apart from a couple of times when I was WFH), the email alerts were promptly turned off too.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I've always managed to avoid being contactable outside of work, I especially don't check work emails. I even had a work iPhone once and I don't think it ever got used for a work-related phone call (apart from a couple of times when I was WFH), the email alerts were promptly turned off too.

I've dodged it so far, using the excuse that I don't need a work phone of any sort when there are so many other ways to get me when I'm in the office.

Hoping I never get a blackberry. Inside work, useful, outside work, soul destroying (those I know with them not only stay glued to the damn things but don't seem to see an issue with it).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Sorry if this has already mentioned.

People that eating cereals/porridge at desks, not so much the eating more the eating but the force they slam the spoon down and the scrapping of the spoon to make sure they get every last bit, in a quiet office this really grates.

Also half roll in at 8:59 then spend the next 15 minutes preparing and eating whilst everyone else is working.

Plus the milk runs out halfway through the day because people have used gallons of it on the cereal

#cerealwankers

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

People that eating cereals/porridge at desks, not so much the eating more the eating but the force they slam the spoon down and the scrapping of the spoon to make sure they get every last bit, in a quiet office this really grates.

Also half roll in at 8:59 then spend the next 15 minutes preparing and eating whilst everyone else is working.

Plus the milk runs out halfway through the day because people have used gallons of it on the cereal

#cerealwankers

Yep.

Crisp Monster, loves her bowls of various stuff.

And YOGHURTS. She has the weightwatchers ones, naturally, although obviously she always eats TWO at a go. It is utterly baffling how much noise can be made scraping a yoghurt pot with a teaspoon. For about five minutes.

Its ****ing EMPTY, you stupid bitch.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yep.

Crisp Monster, loves her bowls of various stuff.

And YOGHURTS. She has the weightwatchers ones, naturally, although obviously she always eats TWO at a go. It is utterly baffling how much noise can be made scraping a yoghurt pot with a teaspoon. For about five minutes.

Its ****ing EMPTY, you stupid bitch.

I did think about adding this but my rage was fully aimed at the person sitting over from me trying to smash a bowl.

On the weight watchers comment, this cereal is clearly special K, that is not going to help you hideous loud whale.

O and when they are questioned about it the answer is always the same "well I didnt have time, to eat at home" in a way that suggests you broke all human rights laws going

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

#cerealwankers

Just reading this as I finish my cereal at my desk :blush: I don't scrape though.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yup, I concur. Irritant here drinks gallons of the stuff in some weird belief that the diet element is somehow eating the calories in the king size twix she has polished off 30 seconds earlier.

The hilarious thing is, pretty much every time, she buys the bigger twix as it is "only 30p more than the normal", she eats one bar and claims to be saving the other one until the following day, hence a 40p saving..... I have never seen the second bar last more than 5 minutes before it follows the first.

How have I never found this thread before!

We have a woman her who on a weekend shift eats as par 2 McDonalds/KFC etc, 3/4 isn't unheard of.

Anyway, when she goes to KFC she buys a family Bucket and claims it is for her dinner as well, its all gone within 45 minutes

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I did think about adding this but my rage was fully aimed at the person sitting over from me trying to smash a bowl.

On the weight watchers comment, this cereal is clearly special K, that is not going to help you hideous loud whale.

O and when they are questioned about it the answer is always the same "well I didnt have time, to eat at home" in a way that suggests you broke all human rights laws going

Utter NONSENSE, if they don't have time to eat at home then they don't have to time to spend their first 15 minutes of work time making and eating their f**king cereal at work either. I bet they don't have to buy much milk on their weekly shop.

The guy next to me takes a slightly different approach, he buys a MASSIVE bacon baguette and a can of Monster energy drink every morning, stuffs his face and spends the rest of the day BURPING. Funnily enough he's from Crawley :D

Right, I'm off to spend 15 minutes of my working day taking a DUMP.

#AcceptableUseOfWorkTime

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How have I never found this thread before!

We have a woman her who on a weekend shift eats as par 2 McDonalds/KFC etc, 3/4 isn't unheard of.

Anyway, when she goes to KFC she buys a family Bucket and claims it is for her dinner as well, its all gone within 45 minutes

Welcome aboard KG.

We share your pain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here