Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] What’s the definition of “a full matchday service”

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
“Trains: Southern Rail have informed the club that they will be operating a full matchday service, but supporters are advised to check Southern’s website prior to travelling.”

Just curious as this is from the pre-match brief but a regular Sunday service, 3 trains an hour, was in place. What should have I expected? A normal Sunday service or more?

60 Euros **** and a ****?

???

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
“Trains: Southern Rail have informed the club that they will be operating a full matchday service, but supporters are advised to check Southern’s website prior to travelling.” Just curious as this is from the pre-match brief but a regular Sunday service, 3 trains an hour, was in place. What should have I expected?

Crispy pig cheek donut, Dexter cap with chilli, anchovy and watercress on dripping flatbread and squid ink bread with smoked cods roe and two glasses of red in the First Class buffet at the very minimum, I should have thought.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Some trains will sometimes be on time, and sometimes have more than 4 carriages some of the time.

In other words, they don't have one!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
That was utter **** today. Had to queue at Lewes station before the game to get on a train and then wait the best part of 45 minutes for a Seaford train back that had a Eastbourne train 2 minutes behind it. Coupled with the roads, I didn't get back to Hastings until 1730.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We were caught up with the "fun at Falmer" - managed to just squeeze on to the Eastbourne train that left around 16:15. I could well understand the annoyance expressed that folks for Eastbourne stood on the platform aimlessly instead of getting the preceding train to Seaford and change at Lewes - but then no announcements were made by the station staff to advise them to this. At least it didn't rain.

I have been saying that for the last 6 years but it never happens due to no common sense from both sides - staff and passengers

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
“Trains: Southern Rail have informed the club that they will be operating a full matchday service, but supporters are advised to check Southern’s website prior to travelling.”

Just curious as this is from the pre-match brief but a regular Sunday service, 3 trains an hour, was in place. What should have I expected? A normal Sunday service or more?

I suppose full match day service should include a handbrake job.

tenor.gif

applying the handbrake
A slang term of British origin meaning to **********. Usually used as a comedic alternative to "Beat your meat" or any variation of that slang.
Friend: Hey, what are you doing in there?!
You: Uh, just applying the handbrake, if you know what I mean.
Friend: Disgusting, dude.

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Usual shambles. Driver and guard on west coastway service both made announcements that they would be making complaints as it should have been an eight carriage train rather than the four we had. Was sardines by Shoreham and not everybody could get on at later stations.

Barber has the whiphand here as he pays Southern the money from our ST travel tax. It's down to him to get a contract in place so we do get a proper matchday service and where there are financial penalties to be paid by Southern when they **** up.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Barber has the whiphand here as he pays Southern the money from our ST travel tax.

Really? I'd have thought the complete opposite. SASTA can pretty much do as they like: they're not legally obliged to offer any service and, thanks to the contract they have, they're not particularly bothered whether they make any money from serving Falmer as the government pays them anyway.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Usual shambles. Driver and guard on west coastway service both made announcements that they would be making complaints as it should have been an eight carriage train rather than the four we had. Was sardines by Shoreham and not everybody could get on at later stations.

Barber has the whiphand here as he pays Southern the money from our ST travel tax. It's down to him to get a contract in place so we do get a proper matchday service and where there are financial penalties to be paid by Southern when they **** up.

I'm not sure Southern care, they lose the subsidy they will just turn on the ticket barriers and check tickets as fans enter the station and they know the club couldn't afford for that to happen

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Really? I'd have thought the complete opposite. SASTA can pretty much do as they like: they're not legally obliged to offer any service and, thanks to the contract they have, they're not particularly bothered whether they make any money from serving Falmer as the government pays them anyway.

Yes, it's definitely Southern who have the upper hand, not the club. If there was a breakdown in the relationship between the two then they could refuse to call at Falmer on match days.

The franchise (or more accurately a management contract) runs until 2021. There should be a DfT consultation on the new franchise some time in 2020 which should in theory influence what goes into the invitation to tender, which will set out the minimum service requirements bidders are expected to meet.

The consultation should be the point where pressure is put on the DfT to include in the ITT an obligation on the franchisee to always provide a service on match days and also define a pre-determined set of fair payments for extra services/carriages/crowd control measures etc that the club would be expected to pay.

This would remove the possibility of the operator to refuse to call at Falmer or demanding the highest fee they think the club would be prepared to pay for their "services". They wouldn't have us over a barrel.

The DfT is notoriously reluctant to include any provision that they think might lead to an increased subsidy/reduced premium so it would be an uphill task, but a concerted effort by all interested parties might focus a few minds.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Three trains an hour was always going to be shit. Still, to put a positive spin on it, it's three more than Boxing Day. And no buses when you need them either. So much for sustainable modes of transport :shrug:

The club are laying on buses / coaches.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Three trains an hour was always going to be shit. Still, to put a positive spin on it, it's three more than Boxing Day. And no buses when you need them either. So much for sustainable modes of transport :shrug:

In simple terms it would cost the transport companies, (and thereby the club), far too much money to persuade train and bus drivers to work on Boxing Day.

Mayb e the fault lays more with the fixture planning than the transport providers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In simple terms it would cost the transport companies, (and thereby the club), far too much money to persuade train and bus drivers to work on Boxing Day.

Mayb e the fault lays more with the fixture planning than the transport providers.

Other countries seem to manage running trains on both Xmas day and Boxing Day.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The club are laying on buses / coaches.
A great comfort to those of us stood waiting for hours on end as empty reasons pull away and then 2 arrive within 3 minutes of one another.

No one is having a go at the club, it's Southern that's the problem.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

And yet there was a train service against Reading on a Boxing Day.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
shambles yesterday but no one cares nor will anything change.

They do what they want and to hell with everything.

It's making the whole matchday experience a bit of a ball ache to be honest.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

These are the extra transport provisions the club are having to put in place for Boxing day and no doubt having to pay very handsomely for:

Shuttle Service from Lewes Station.
Shuttle Service from Brighton Station.
Brighton University Lower Car Park.
Sussex University Multi Story Car Park.
Park and Ride: Pyecombe Equestrian Centre.
Park and Ride: Sainsbury’s West Hove.

I don't know the reason Southern are not providing a shuttle service between Brighton and Lewes (as they did in a previous season IIRC?). It could be down to engineering works. It could be down to them demanding a sum far in excess of what the club were prepared to pay, or they might just have flatly refused. Whatever the reason, I doubt the sticking point was the cost the drivers and guards (acknowledging that some of the above would still be needed if there were such a service).

I do wonder if this is the club's way of demonstrating to Southern that they can put on a match with or without their co-operation.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Quite so, unfortunately however we aren't other countries are we?

Most European countries have publicly-owned rail systems where service is a priority. And most European leagues have a break at Christmas. It does seem bizarre that the one major league that doesn't have a break is the one where public transport pretty much shuts down at Christmas.

shambles yesterday but no one cares nor will anything change.

I'm not quite sure what can change. As mentioned above, the club (who I'm sure do care) have absolutely no control over train services - or lack of them. And SASTA have no interest in meeting the needs of another company's customers.

As Uter suggested earlier, the only hope is that there's a renegotiated franchise in 2022, where the train companies have to offer a better service. That will only change if there's a change in government, if the Tories get in again: no chance

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here