Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Professor Stephen Hawking RIP

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
All the science I don’t understand, but one thing is for sure - he certainly changed minds re disabilities. Inspirational to abled and disabled alike.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Probably the most important person in getting the general public interested in how the Universe works.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
His ashes are to be interred in Westminster Abbey, next to the grave of Sir Isaac Newton.

Very appropriate in my view.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
His ashes are to be interred in Westminster Abbey, next to the grave of Sir Isaac Newton.

Very appropriate in my view.
not really sir Issac Newton was a creationist, Stephen Hawkings was an atheist. Why would an atheist want to be interred in a church you may as well throw your ashes down the toilet if there is no after life.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
not really sir Issac Newton was a creationist, Stephen Hawkings was an atheist. Why would an atheist want to be interred in a church you may as well throw your ashes down the toilet if there is no after life.

I look it as not so much of a religious/atheist matter but more a case of his remains being put to rest among those of some of the other great scientific minds in British history - Darwin, Newton and Rutherford to name but three.

In that regard, it couldn't be more appropriate for a scientist of his stature.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
I look it as not so much of a religious/atheist matter but more a case of his remains being put to rest among those of some of the other great scientific minds in British history - Darwin, Newton and Rutherford to name but three.

In that regard, it couldn't be more appropriate for a scientist of his stature.

To be honest I wouldn’t have put Darwin there, the racist misogynist **** that he was.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be honest I wouldn’t have put Darwin there, the racist misogynist **** that he was.

There's a lot of people buried in Westminster Abbey who will have held views which might not be acceptable today. For instance, I expect many of the great and good buried there would be shocked to know that homosexuality and gay marriage is now normal. People in the past saw things differently - what are you going to do? - denounce them as homophobe reactionaries and dig them up?. Get over it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Just found out that I've been picked out of the ballot to attend the interment ceremony for Prof. Hawking's ashes in Westminster Abbey on 15th June.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Well done isn't appropriate really, but what an honour.
Indeed it is.

I applied for the ballot far more in hope than expectation but I am very happy to have been picked - will be a very special thing to be there for.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

I don't think Stephen Hawkings was quite as staunch in his beliefs towards the end of his life. He talked of the creation of the universe in more mystical terms and did not readily dismiss the idea of a creator. I just think he was hedging his bets...just in case!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here