Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will the AMEX be EXTENDED if we go UP ?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Daft though this may sound, I believe there are plans for a beer marquee outside the stadium, where this could really work!

If it's free to attend (or they require you buy beer or whatever) it's weird, but I can see the appeal. Party Passes at AT&T Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys, cost ~$30 according to Ticket Master.

Attachments

• Valley%u00252BParade%u00252B12.jpg
    Valley%u00252BParade%u00252B12.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 826
Last edited:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Loads of room for it in this corner:
brighton-stadium-4383-677121_478x359.jpg

I believe filling in the corners, putting in the extra boxes, and extending the middle tier of the west stand cost circa £20m, so I imagine you'd be looking at a similar figure. Make the north safe standing while you're at it and hey presto 6,000 added to the capacity.
RIP out the seats and make it steeper from near the roof to the pitch...defo room for a bigger capacity.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't recall any concourses the last time I went 'upstairs' at Brentford or Bradford. Is the roof not high enough for something like this? BTW there are some great pics of Valley Parade at http://tims92.blogspot.co.ke/2011/02/bradford-city-valley-parade-ground-no.html , from where I took this pic:

amex-stadium-north-stand.jpg

Its not difficult to imagine another tier above the current one I guess, but unlike the East stand, the North wasn't designed with expansion in mind. The East stand 2nd tier had its concourse put in place during the original build - it wasn't an afterthought.

The TV studio and club offices are housed within the North, and you have to have SOME form of concourse there to enable entry and safe exits. I don't know what the layout is behind that wall, but you'd have to have some major structural alternations "behind the scenes" to support a 2nd tier there. Unlike the stand in your picture, we would not be having any support pillars from the front up to the roof supporting a 2nd tier, that's very 19th century (and the current north-standers would rightly be up in arms if they suddenly got a load of pillars plonked in front). It would have to be supported completely from behind.

Just can't see it meself.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
The Amex is a thing of beauty inside and out.

Shoehorning extra tiers in - for instance over the North Stand - would most probably ruin the aesthetic and I'd be amazed and concerned if it happened.

By all means get some folk to shove up a bit and squeeze in a few extra seats where possible, but leave the main structure well alone.

I also seriously doubt there is long term and consistent demand for 30k+ crowds.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
If the stadium can't go up, then shirley the only logical solution is to go down.

After Derby, once the pitch has been removed and before the new one is laid, all Barber has to do is dig down a stands worth.
Hollow out the seating and concourse then relay the new pitch.

Bish bosh job done.

Exactly what Barcelona did.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I've often wondered why they don't put a physical barrier in at the south east corner so no segregation is needed between south (away supporters) and east stand. Then start away supporters in that corner and only have segregation where the home and away supporters meet in the south stand. Ok only a hundred or so seats but its a start.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
I've often wondered why they don't put a physical barrier in at the south east corner so no segregation is needed between south (away supporters) and east stand. Then start away supporters in that corner and only have segregation where the home and away supporters meet in the south stand. Ok only a hundred or so seats but its a start.

Me too. This seems such a simple thing to maximise the seats available for tickets?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Barca lowered their pitch 8' when the lower tier was converted to seating (to improve sightlines). No extra capacity was added.
So they didn't use Dynamo and David Blaine to levitate the stadium while the seating area was being hollowed out?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Barca lowered their pitch 8' when the lower tier was converted to seating (to improve sightlines). No extra capacity was added.

He's still a silly arse.

(with all due respect SB)

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Its not possible to expand the Amex any further. There is no room for 2nd tiers or upper concourses in the north or south stands, it was never designed with that in mind. Those arches are deeply embedded underground in concrete thrust blocks, they counter-balance each other to hold the entire roof in place, all the way around. The roofs cannot be raised any further to accommodate additional tiers.

What you see is what you get folks. It can't be expanded any further.

Not true...I met the architect for The Amex at Withdean a few years ago before the first official first "dig" at Falmer. He told me the stadium is designed to hold hold 35k to 40K max by elevating the East Stand and levelling off the North/South stand roofs and inserting another middle tier like The West stand. The middle tier would snake round above the North and South stands meeting up with the East. Think Man City's ground (but smaller), the cost of this would be enormous and lets be honest the transport infastructure can hardly cope with 30k at present.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Not true...I met the architect for The Amex at Withdean a few years ago before the first official first "dig" at Falmer. He told me the stadium is designed to hold hold 35k to 40K max by elevating the East Stand and levelling off the North/South stand roofs and inserting another middle tier like The West stand. The middle tier would snake round above the North and South stands meeting up with the East. Think Man City's ground (but smaller), the cost of this would be enormous and lets be honest the transport infastructure can hardly cope with 30k at present.

Perhaps it's already been done,just need promotion before Tony goes to the center circle and unveils a secret button,buried beneath the soil.....He presses it and as the ground rises it also pulls up a 5000 space car park,hidden under the pitch...

But i have heard this mentioned before....

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Where there's a will there's a way.I'm sure some genuis could work out how to extend the Amex but the cost could be massive and so make it a non starter especially when you consider in the Prem attendance money is not your main income.

Perhaps it's better to have a crammed 31/32k stadium every game rather than a 40k stadium that is only sometimes full.

People are getting carried away with how many would go to the Amex.It's hard to know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here