Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Off-peak Day Return to London

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Can I hijack this thread by asking my own question? My wife is going to need to travel to London at peak times three days a week next year. Is there a way of doing this that saves money and/or doesn't involve buying tickets all the time?

3 days used to be the point where it is cheaper to get a weekly season ticket, have a check on the National Rail website to check the price of a weekly compared to 3 day tickets.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can I hijack this thread by asking my own question? My wife is going to need to travel to London at peak times three days a week next year. Is there a way of doing this that saves money and/or doesn't involve buying tickets all the time?

From when I used to periodically commute, a weekly ticket cost between 2 and 3 times a daily ticket, assuming you are travelling in the morning peak period. As such, a weekly ticket is likely to be the best option. I can’t recall if you need a photo card to go with weekly tickets.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This is a right pain in the arse - I work from home a couple of days a week so have exactly this issue

Cut off for me is 3 days - if I do three days in any seven, a weekly ticket is cheaper than 3 daily returns (my days are flexible as well, so sometimes I can get 4/5 days out of a weekly - 7 day - ticket buy buying it on say, Wednesday and then travelling in Wed, Thurs, Fri and Tues for example).

Daily peak return from Burgess Hill/Wivelsfield (all routes - it's cheaper if using 'Thameslink only) is £43.90 (so 3 x this would be £131.70)

Seven day return is £110 so a 7-day return is easily better for 3 days

Edit -yes, a photocard is definitely needed

If she needs the underground as well, DON'T get a travelcard with the weekly ticket unless it's going to be used for 5 days. It's cheaper to just get the basic weekly rail return and pay as you go using a contactless debit card on the tube

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
From when I used to periodically commute, a weekly ticket cost between 2 and 3 times a daily ticket, assuming you are travelling in the morning peak period. As such, a weekly ticket is likely to be the best option. I can’t recall if you need a photo card to go with weekly tickets.

This is a right pain in the arse - I work from home a couple of days a week so have exactly this issue

Cut off for me is 3 days - if I do three days in any seven, a weekly ticket is cheaper than 3 daily returns (my days are flexible as well, so sometimes I can get 4/5 days out of a weekly - 7 day - ticket buy buying it on say, Wednesday and then travelling in Wed, Thurs, Fri and Tues for example).

Daily peak return from Burgess Hill/Wivelsfield (all routes - it's cheaper if using 'Thameslink only) is £43.90 (so 3 x this would be £131.70)

Seven day return is £110 so a 7-day return is easily better for 3 days

Edit -yes, a photocard is definitely needed

If she needs the underground as well, DON'T get a travelcard with the weekly ticket unless it's going to be used for 5 days. It's cheaper to just get the basic weekly rail return and pay as you go using a contactless debit card on the tube

Thanks both. She'll be a student as well, to complicate things, so we'll see what's on offer - looks like some form of weekly ticket is going to be the best option. Hopefully she'll be entitled to subsidised beer and we can get the money back by buying pints for 58p. Don't know whether the Albion do cheap match tickets for students, but it's not relevant as after the Chelsea match she told me she preferred shopping :down:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Seem to recall from fairly recent use that Off-Peak tickets bought on the day don't actually appear on the ticket machine list of available options until about 09:45.

I think the proper off peak thing starts at 9am. In other words, the 10am deadline is for trains arriving in London, not leaving Brighton.

Commuters had to fight tooth and nail to get the machines at Brighton to issue 'Off Peak' tickets before 9am, so now you can do it from 8.30am onwards. However, as I understand it, this is only available at Brighton Station. It's certainly not available at Lancing Station.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
The other crazy way of getting cheaper peak London tickets is get a split ticket to Aldershot via Clapham Junction and then also buy a Clapham > Victoria return.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
The other crazy way of getting cheaper peak London tickets is get a split ticket to Aldershot via Clapham Junction and then also buy a Clapham > Victoria return.

From memory the "Aldershot Special" only works from certain stations down the east, also only valid if the train stops at Clapham Junction (unless one of the tickets is a Zonal ticket or a season ticket).

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not the exact same question, but train ticket officiandos can you help:

I want to go Worthing to Victoria tomorrow evening
But return Farringdon to Worthing on Saturday.

If I buy these separately it is £28 with a railcard.

I can buy an off-peak return Worthing to Farringdon or Victoria for £24, but would I be able to get through the ticket barriers with this, or for example whatever leg was wrong would it not work? Or is there some other better way of doing this

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

I can buy an off-peak return Worthing to Farringdon or Victoria for £24, but would I be able to get through the ticket barriers with this, or for example whatever leg was wrong would it not work? Or is there some other better way of doing this

Would an off-peak return to East Croydon with singles for Croydon-Victoria & Farringdon-Croydon be what you need?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Would an off-peak return to East Croydon with singles for Croydon-Victoria & Farringdon-Croydon be what you need?

Worthing to East Croydon is coming in at £20 so don't think I could do the other legs for any cheaper

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Is it possible to buy the ticket to “London Terminals”?
My 7 day season ticket is for this and works at both Victoria and Farringdon (amongst others).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My 7 day season ticket is for this and works at both Victoria and Farringdon (amongst others).

I did look at that, but then saw on Nationalrail.co.uk that Farringdon is NOT a London Terminal. Although I think with the problems that is relaxed as they have paired it with St Pancras

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Oooh, that's changed since I commuted. London Terminals didn't reach Farringdon, anything north of Blackfriars was charged extra. There even used to be a note to that effect on the machines when buying the ticket.

Having said that, I have got away with a Farringdon ticket at Victoria although it depends on finding a sympathetic staff member.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I hardly go on trains now apart from football due to making a very expensive and stressful mistake. All common sense went out of the window.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
buying a train ticket shouldn't be this difficult.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here