Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Aussie Cheats!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Looks like James Sutherland might be about to cop a bit of flak for CA's weak investigation and subsequent whitewash.
They've decided officially that only Smith, Warner and Bancroft knew about this.

What did they do, ask each person one by one if they knew what was happening and accept their first answer when they said no!

Lehman is as guilty as a puppy sitting next to a pile of poo, it's so obvious from when he radioed the 12th man. I don't think the Aussie media are going to accept this answer.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Looks like James Sutherland might be about to cop a bit of flak for CA's weak investigation and subsequent whitewash.
They've decided officially that only Smith, Warner and Bancroft knew about this.

What did they do, ask each person one by one if they knew what was happening and accept their first answer when they said no!

Lehman is as guilty as a puppy sitting next to a pile of poo, it's so obvious from when he radioed the 12th man. I don't think the Aussie media are going to accept this answer.

Yep, so many things don't add up.

1. Smith spoke about it being planned by the 'leadership group' which doesn't match what's now being spun.
2. Smith and Bancroft in the same press conference didn't want to 'name names' (plural) but the only other name apparently was Warner - makes no sense
3. If it was decided by Warner / Bancroft and Smith was only tangentially involved - how did Lehmann get involved on the walkie talkie - was it simply him realising that Bancroft had been caught cheating and wanted him to hide the evidence? If so, that's a sackable offence alone.

4. Warner is a ****

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep, so many things don't add up.

1. Smith spoke about it being planned by the 'leadership group' which doesn't match what's now being spun.
2. Smith and Bancroft in the same press conference didn't want to 'name names' (plural) but the only other name apparently was Warner - makes no sense
3. If it was decided by Warner / Bancroft and Smith was only tangentially involved - how did Lehmann get involved on the walkie talkie - was it simply him realising that Bancroft had been caught cheating and wanted him to hide the evidence? If so, that's a sackable offence alone.

4. Warner is a ****

It’s utter bollocks. There is absolutely no way the ball was being ‘modified’ like that without the bowlers being in on it. You can’t **** about with the ball in village cricket without the bowlers being involved, let alone do it at test level.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Update from the always-good-value Jim Maxwell:

My understanding of the conversation is that it went like this. They were about to go out after lunch, and Smith saw Bancroft and Warner in collusion. He said "what are you blokes doing? I don't want to know what you're doing", and then he went out onto the field.

If this is indeed what happened, then it just doesn't square with Smith's press conference and saying the 'leadership group' planned this and he takes full responsibility. Can he have been that naive to let Warner do what he wanted? And then take the flak for him?

He knew. Hazlewood knew. Starc knew. Maxwell is part of a collusion to get Warner to take the heat and the rest of them carry on regardless. Smith will have to take his ban on the chin and then come back. Bancroft will be the fall guy that we never see again.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
But is he still playing - Smith has stepped down as captain, but I assume the fact that they say captain suggests they're both staying as players.

It's ultimately going to be down to The BCCI to apply any sanction by following CA's lead. The SMH breaking story has been updated to state: "The players have been banned from all elite Australian cricket for 12 months, although they can play grade cricket."

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The players have the right to appeal apparently. James Sutherland press conference at 1130.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Barmy Army have a good track record for witty ditties encapsulating a theme in cricket.... I look forward to whatever they come up with for the next time we play Australia. I know Smith, Warner & Bancroft will be missing, but the rest of the 'leadership team' are still there, and of course Lehmann is still there.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Apparently in NZ they are going round with yellow armbands on :D

9a64qxggp2o01.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Barmy Army have a good track record for witty ditties encapsulating a theme in cricket.... I look forward to whatever they come up with for the next time we play Australia. I know Smith, Warner & Bancroft will be missing, but the rest of the 'leadership team' are still there, and of course Lehmann is still there.

I'd be astonished if Lehmann is still in place when the next Ashes come round. CA will need to address, and be SEEN to address the whole culture of the squad, that is so clearly not right. Lehmann is at the heart of that. If they don't think they have enough to dismiss him over this affair (and are scared of the legal ramifications of unfair dismissal, perhaps) then he will surely be put under pressure to leave by mutual consent as soon as possible, and he certainly won't be getting a contract renewal.

Personally I'm still firmly of the opinion he knew what was going on, or at least that 'something' was going on with the ball. And the new tack that it was 'all Warner' is utterly laughable. How does 'the leadership group came up with a plan' possibly translate two days later, to 'Warner made Bancroft do it, and Smith only found out on the field after lunch'. Its patently bollocks.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh, and one more thing.

At what point will we all be allowed to stop pretending the offending object was 'yellow tape'?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

There already is

“Steve Smith is an Aussie

He wears a baggy cap

And when he saw some sticky tape

He said I’m having that…

He gave it Cameron Bancroft

Who rubbed it on the ball

Those cheating Aussie convicts

They’ll never change at all!

Oh…Davie Warner’s Aussie

He wears the baggy green

He dribbles like a caveman